Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/220/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Sorbitol etc.

Thank you so much for all the information. I've figured out that I can't eat the atkins low-carb candies etc. everyday. I stopped eating them a couple of days ago and already feel better. I guess everything in moderation as they say. Maybe once in a while for a treat.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 20:23

Plan: restricted carbs
Stats: 187.7/183.7/132.0 Female 1.62
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Confused - Please help!!

HI
Are you talking about alcoholic drinks when you are talking about sugar alcohols ? I have to be in social situations frequently, and I do like to have the odd drink (red wine, votka). Can I add these to my daily count if they do in fact have carbs - and if so, how many carbs should I take into account for each drink so if I have to have a drink, I can add it to my daily total?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by shellro : Tue, May-17-05 at 20:25. Reason: Bad grammar
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 19:07

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%
Default sugar alcohols - for eating, not drinking :)

as a newbie to this site (not to LC eating) i was reading this thread - and am glad i did, as everyone else. 8 days into induction (for the 4th time - i must be a slow learner) i was eating the LC protein bars for 'fast food'-- and i have only lost .5 pounds thsi week. i am in ketosis, but now i plan to ditch the premade stuff (until today, i had never heard the term franken-food - lmao) and will go back to the foods au natural.

as for the sugar alcohols - no, they are not referring to alcoholic drinks - they are referring to a sugar-type substitute used in making 'diet' foods. read back through the threads - there are several. maltitol (or something like that) and many of its cousins. on a side note, at one point, i was getting severe headaches from one of those sweetners - they went away when the food went away.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 09:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 275/250/230 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default hello all

Wow.

I just joined and read this old post from last year. I dropped 10 lbs almost instantly when I dropped carb intake however I noticed over last two weeks that I've lost very few lbs...the biggest difference is me eating carb bars twice a day as snacks.

I'll switch to something else as a snack and see if I can get back into dropping lbs.

Sad thing is that I've been in ketosis...
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/189 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Russell Stover Assorted Chocolates

As with anything we should eat these in moderation. I had the worst sweet tooth. But I find that when the craving comes on I have about 2 pcs and I am back to feeling ok. I only use it as an alternative to cheating. I encourage people to buy some just to have as our fellow LC said "in case of emergencies".
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 21:57

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%

One thing that really seems to work at stopping cravings in their tracks is just to dip the tip of a wet finger into some Splenda and put it on your tongue. Works every time, without the calories and sugar alcohols of bars/shakes etc.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 16:37

Plan: a revised atkins plan
Stats: 258/-/149 Female five feet three inches
BF:
Progress:

i put my splenda in fit day a few days ago. it says less than 1 carb on the splenda package and no calories. the atkins book says to count one tsp of splenda as one carb. When i put that in fit day it says it has 4 calories per teaspoon so i now count that when I use splenda, just wanted to warn you. Hidden calories and carbs are such a pain, these companys are sneaky.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 02:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/135/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:

My thoery is that sugar alcohols may have to be metabolized before fat is burned, just like regular alcohol. Regualr alcohol is not stored as fat, but must be burned off before the body can return to fat burning. So, sugar alcohols may not be stored as fat either, but must be metabolized, thus stalling weight loss. This has certainly been my experience.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 04:38

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Default Great post! Thanks!

Interesting insight about the sugar alcohols. It did seem weird how these sugars would just magically disappeer! Poof!

Of all the LC products, the Atkins shakes seem the least offensive:

4 carbs, but I think 3 are from fiber, so it doesn't seem like the usual LC products, with like 20+ carbs before the magic begins to drop it to 2!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 04:38

BF:
Default Great post! Thanks!

Interesting insight about the sugar alcohols. It did seem weird how these sugars would just magically disappeer! Poof!

Of all the LC products, the Atkins shakes seem the least offensive:

4 carbs, but I think 3 are from fiber, so it doesn't seem like the usual LC products, with like 20+ carbs before the magic begins to drop it to 2!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 04:41

BF:
Default I had been chewing lots of sugarless gum

lately, maybe 15 sticks a day? 1 carb with 1 sugar alcohol per piece, or 0 net carbs.

So, if I really should have been counting a fraction of each piece... Yikes! That's a lot of additional carbs for just gum!
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:43
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I'm pretty sure how sugar alcohols magically dissapear when I eat any
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:51

BF:
Default HA HA HA! Hilarious LIddie!

That's what happens with me with Maltinol, but it doesn't have the same effect with sugar alcohol. Actually, Maltinol makes me sick to my stomach. I love those candies, but they hurt.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Personally, I think sweets of all kinds should be kept to a minimum. I think the reason why sweeteners, natural and artificial, are so prevalent is because we've dulled our sweet sense.

When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, dessert was not a nightly event. My mom was a stay at home and I was the only one with a weight problem....and not until about 3rd grade. We had meat, veg, and potato/rice/pasta for dinner. Mom often baked, and there was almost always something available on a nightly basis, but we didn't have dessert after the meal, and often were only allowed fruit/veg as a snack before bed.

When we came home from school we frequently had a sweet treat, but even then, it was usually something fruit based and home-made.

I tried to find an acceptable commercial bread yesterday. I must have read 15 labels, and found HFCS in about 80%. Others had honey, "sugar" as the sweetener. The "low carb" bread had Malitol! I understand wanting a sweetener in raisin bread, cinnamon bread, etc....but a whole grain bread? Would the taste be all that different if they left out the sweetener?

(I ended up with one that has "sugar", but no HFCS and no hydrogenated anything)
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 11:04

Plan: Trying to Decide
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:

Well,...darn! I have lost a total of 3 lbs. in almost 3 weeks.......whoopee. My BS has come down, from the mid to high 200's to low 200's A.m. and 180's in PM with a reduction of inslin from 42 2X a day to 25 2 X a day,......But I just coulnd't understand why I wasnt' losing more than that.

Then I got the keto sticks....they were negative at night. From 6 p.m. to 11 a.m. I ate 1 cup of yogurt, one Atkins bar, about 2 oz. of meat and few peanuts. At 5 p.m. I had had a bowl of LC ice cream. So I thought, OK, maybe the ice cream was the culprit,....but by 11 a..m., I was still not in ketosis (no change at all on stik).

So I came in and read this thread and that may be the explanation.

However,....someone said, eat something else sweet that doesnt' have the sugar alcohol in it,..an that would be what? Other than the yogurt, which isn't really "sweet" IMO, I can't find anything. With the BS so high (though SO much better) I don't have to tell you what my sugar cravings have been.

Anyway, any idea for sweet w/o the alcohol would be appreciated. Also, how long should it take to go into ketosis after you have a lot of carbs...e.g., eating at 5 p.m., and still no ketosis by 11 a.m.