Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 14:18
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
IF YOU CANNOT BREATHE THE DUST WHY WOULD YOU EAT IT?

Jag

Your lungs are sensitive to irritation by many things... Just cos it would badly affect your respiratory system through direct contact, doesn't mean it's bad for you to ingest. The point about water is a good one too... You can drink it but best not to try and breathe it

Cheers
S
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 16:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 141/118/120 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 110%

Thank you so much for sharing that!

And it was quite timely for me personally. I have been on the Induction for several days, and just yesterday I was at the Vitamin Shop looking at the nutrional information on the wide variety of low carb bars. Honestly, they sounded to good to be true - it seemed illogical that 90% of the carbs can be ignored, I mean sugar is sugar, but since I am new to Atkins, I didn't know if my instincts were correct or not.

Well, you proved me right. And you know what this reminds me of? During the low fat diet craze back in the 1990's, when everyone believed that "fat makes you fat", food product manufacturer's were quick to jump on the bandwagon, creating low fat versions of cookies and snacks, that people ate to their hearts content without guilt but didn't have the common sense to realize that even without fat, one cookie is a lot of calories, and so people in America got even more obese! Another thing marketers did, was to label items 99% fat free, when the product was fat free to begin with - like apple juice. I am waiting for such labels to start showing up on redesigned packages of cheese, etc.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:29

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

WOOO and Sinbad, you both have a good point. I just posted the MSDS sheet. I thought it was kinda weird that you shouln't
breath the dust.
I just think that $$$$$$$ is the reason why so many companies are taking advantage of people.
Polyols (Sugar alcohols) and people eating them and getting stalled MAY be a reason for some people to give up on LC.
"I am eating LC and not losing weight, It must not work" If someone eats this stuff and gets stalled I think they have a right to know what MAY be stalling them.
I feel very strongly about the LC lifestyle and want everyone to have a fair chance at achieving their goals.

Breating water not a good idea either. LMAO Good one!
Cheers

Jag
  #34   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I don't have any problems with the Atkins brand of bars, I DO however, have a serious problem with Power Bars Pria line. They taste like candy, and they screw up my blood sugar. I had bought a bunch and after I ate two, I wised up and had to take the rest back to the store.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/210/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefire03
The second time I tried induction (two years ago), I didn't lose at all! I was eating 2 Atkins Advantage bars a day, and I believed the "net-carbs" lie, but really I was dumping 40g of carbs into my system each day, and undermining the entire point of induction. No wonder I never got off the ground.

I have been scratching my head for 3 years now...wondering why I did not do well with Atkins back then. I was eating those Carb Bars everyday, along with other Atkins food. Now I am just eating regular food, no Atkins food. I hope that was the difference because I am border line Diabetic and I am going to have to follow a "low carb" diet" the rest of my life for health reasons. I would like weight loss to be a result of all this.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:49
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 29%

Heres another question to ponder. Do you all think that it costs more to produce SA products or products from plain old sugar? You would think that a LC diet would be cheap right? So why the heck is my grocery bill $100 bucks more per month? Anyone know what the cost to produce these low carb products is? What about the chain restuarants. Why is a burger without a bun more expensive than one with one? Lettuce costs more than bread. sigh......who knows.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 09:39

Stats: 366/258/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

hi you guys! i just want to thank the senior memebers of the group for sharing all of this wisdom....i was wondering about net carbs! i think they were stalling my weigt loss as well. i was throwing myslef out of ketosis and not knowing why! The past week i have not eat any of the bars or shakes and i my stick turned bright purple! Now i just need to know what to do with the darn things as i purchased like 24 of em off ebay and now have like 16 left.....BTW if u do get cravings .....the best one in taste is the Dexatrim all-in-one......both flavors are good but i love the white chocolate rasberry one!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 18:51

Stats: 211/189/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

What happens if you are still in ketosis while having an Adkins shake for breakfast (I'm not a breakfast eater). I haven't lost any weight the last 2 weeks so I guess I better cut them out. Thanks for all your help.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:03
I KNOW I CAN!!!

Plan: A combo of a few
Stats: 208/172/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 68%

This is great information to know. Thank you all who have researched this information and shared it with all of us. I fell into the craze at first, but mainly because I WANTED to believe it was ok. Then when I got serious, I knew better. I remember Snack Wells when low fat was the thing. Everybody thought because snacks were fat free, they coudl eat all they wanted..WRONG. Same thing with the new low carb craze. Everybody is jumping on the MONEY bandwagon producing these foods.

They are not good for you, not to mention they make me SICK in a terrible way. I'm glad they do make me sick, because it helps me to stay away from the. Some of them are very tasty!!!!

Thanks again.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 19:05
Registered Member

Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4lemon
I don't have any problems with the Atkins brand of bars, I DO however, have a serious problem with Power Bars Pria line. They taste like candy, and they screw up my blood sugar. I had bought a bunch and after I ate two, I wised up and had to take the rest back to the store.

Not all products work universally. I think the Pria line from Powerbar is a lifesaver. I have continued to lose while consuming an average of 1 bar a day. The best advice I could give would be to find things that work for you individually. Concentrate on how YOU can best acheive YOUR goals. Listen to good advice, but make your own decisions.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 12:30

Stats: 225/200/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Sugar Alcohols and GAS

GREAT posts and comments - I agree with the commentary that tey should count. When I was eating the Atkins bars during induction, the weight did not come off as quick as I expected.

That being said, I have stopped having the LC bars. I found that if I had one, my intestines were relatively quiet, BUT, if I had two or more, I became a terror in the house! Not good. The chocolate bars are tasty - especially the new Nestle's snacks - but the sugar alcohols have been noted to cause gas and intestinal discomfort. I stay away from them now.

Thanks for the honesty,
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 18:45
Registered Member

Plan: I am thinking power plan
Stats: 220/212/195 Male 5'11"
BF:25%
Progress: 32%

so are you all telling me the carb solutions smmothies, yogurt and milk is not good for me to have,,,,I am staying under 2000 calories also but i figured i was getting some milk products for 6 net carbs a day,,,i only eat 20 carbs for far,,,
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 15:19

Stats: 202/202/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default True

Thank you so much for this carefully thought-out and written article. I completely agree. As you say - good to be forewarned.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 19:30

Plan: South Beach and Atkins
Stats: 174/163/139 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Loved reading your stuff, people! I am a newbie and wishing someone would advise on SugarTwin's brown sugar substitute. (Does it taste like brown sugar?) But after all of these posts, I am thinking I should not be having it no matter what it tastes like. C'est la... :-)

Tobit
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 06:56
Registered Member

Plan: I am thinking power plan
Stats: 220/212/195 Male 5'11"
BF:25%
Progress: 32%

I only use the brown sweet and low for my bbq sauces..tastes great