Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208/208/145 Female 5'6
BF:don't know
Progress: 0%
Default dizziness

I have TMJ, fibro, and CFS. I have been experiencing extreme dizziness when walking. Does anyone get this? And i also feel like I am going to fall over when i am standing still. Just started low-carbing due to the fibro and CFS. And i also need to loss 50 pounds. Has LCing help the dizziness?

Thanks, Tiffany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 05:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have suffered the odd bout of dizziness in the past (fibro symptom) but after starting lc'ing it became severe, I was having at least one bad bout a day (vertigo - room spinning) I read up on the internet and all I could find was that it isnt harmful as long as you arent losing consciousness (sp?) with it. That did little to alleviate my worry! but it did say the more you worry about it the more it will happen. After a week or 2 it should stop. Now I get just a feeling of lightheadedness now and again and I just stop deep breathe and RELAX thats the main thing I believe, get uptight and you get a full blown attack. It can also be a side effect of meds like diuretics etc. Get up slowly and try not to rush anywhere. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Last edited by sandi24 : Thu, Apr-29-04 at 14:49. Reason: spelling
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:17

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I too get dizzyness, sometimes just standing or sitting still, sometimes walking round the supermarket etc! I too wonder if its to do with the fibro as my neurologist can't find anything wrong!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction - 5/5
Stats: 253.5/204/166 Female 62
BF:46%/39%/25%
Progress: 57%

Hi,

I also have FMS (fibro) and have severe bouts of dizziness. It's complicated with a bad case of persistant insulin resistance. My blood sugar has been dangerously low - but - a month into this low carb thing, my blood sugar *has* stabalized - the lowest it's been all week is 75. It's been in the 80's and once even 92. I still have the bouts of dizziness, but it's actually getting better, and since starting low carb, almost all the other FMS symptoms I have had forever have slowly gone away. The only remaining thing that still plauges me on a regular basis is the terrible headaches, but the quality of the headaches has changed - and they are more easily resolved. Also - I was having terrible cramps, and found out that soy products will aggravate that problem, so I stopped with the soy, and all is well now. Last TOM I had slight cramps one day only - the day it showed up, I was shocked, because I wasn't sick in my stomach, I wasn't overly dizzy, and I had no cramps - very very unusual for me - so I hope this pattern continues also .

Hope you are feeling better - try to stick it out if you can - you won't regret it!

Stacie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 21:14

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 224/209/160 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default dizziness

Have you ever sat in a chair and feel like you are sinking? I get that feeling too often on Dr. Atkins Diet. I don't know if it is low blood sugar or what.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 19:36
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin resistant Atkins
Stats: 202/183.5/140 Female 66 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 30%

I am on the tail end of one of the worst dizzy spells I've ever had. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause since I've recently begun taking supplements, the amino acids and such, and changing my diet, but I've had it almost 24 hours, now. This dizzy spell thing runs in the family, too, but never have I had it so bad for so long.
I take a combination of decongestants and antihistamines in a situation like this just in case it is an inner ear problem, and it does seem to help.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 19:57

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

I have extreme dizziness at all times of the day. It really worries me but nothing severe has happened yet. Although everyday when I have to walk up a certain flight of stairs at school I become extremely weak and dizzy and almost pass out. I have to hang on to a wall or sit down quickly or i'd fall over. Hmm...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 01:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 148/142/135 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Extreme dizziness is increasing-any ideas?

I have experienced dizziness in the past- but never like it has been lately. It has gotten to the point where I cannot drive, I cannot even function around the house, let alone outside of the house. I have TMJ, have had blackouts-memory loss, taking anti-depressants and anti-seizure meds, and have had CAT-scans and MRIs done and NOTHING! Other than these issues, I am extremely healthy, very fit, early 40's, can run 5 miles easy, etc. Any ideas? I truly do think there is something wrong with me, the doctors just can't seem to find it and it's been going on for over seven years now.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 07:51

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default worry

I suffered really bad dizziness a few months back, I had always had the odd spell due to FMS but it was happening many times throughout the day.

I searched the web and it clearly stated that dizziness in itself is not dangerous but I know how you were feeling.. there has to be something seriously wrong to cause this constant whirling sensations.

I found trying to take things slowly like walking upstairs ( I still get slightly dizzy if I run up them) sitting down slowly and getting out of the car slowly etc has helped.

Also it stated on all the web sites I visited the more you worry about getting dizzy the more you will. Mind over matter..

I know its hard, I was really starting to panic at all the spells I was getting but I decided to try to forget about them and if I felt one coming on I would just start deep slow breathing and concentrated on that not the dizzy spell and now they have more or less gone.. unless I rush to do something but I deep breathe and all I get is lightheaded for a few seconds..

Worth a try !
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 12:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi everybody,

I have a couple thoughts what might be causing the dizzy spells.

For me, it was side effect from medication. Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil) can help to improve sleep in chronic pain conditions, taken as a single low dose at bedtime ... 25 - 75mg is the usual dose (for depression it's taken at higher doses, divided through the day). I found 25mg was very helpful for my sleep which provided some pain relief too .. but the side effects became unbearable. I experienced very dry mouth, nose and eyes with frequent nosebleeds and itchy gritty sensation in my eyes. Many times in the mornings especially .. I'd experience racing pulse and dizziness, especially if I was sitting or lying down and got up quickly. The room would spin and I thought for sure I was going to pass out! Even so, my dr. wanted to keep pushing the dose higher ( .. don't ask me why, considering I was getting relief from the lowest dose) However, time passed .. he retired and I got a new dr who is more knowledgeable about fibromyalgia She immediately switched me to doxepine (Sinequan) and it's so much better. It helps my sleep and main side effect is some mental fogginess first thing in the morning. But then, I have even worse fogginess and pain if I don't get a good nights' sleep!

So double-check with your dr. or pharmacist if one or more of your medications could be contributing to your dizziness; maybe something could be changed. Do NOT stop taking your medications without discussing with your dr. first ... you could experience rebound pain and/or depression

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 12:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Another possibility is Neurally Mediated Hypotension (NMH) ... or low blood pressure caused by a miscommunication between the brain/nerves and the blood vessels of the lower body. This results in blood pooling in the lower body and not enough is getting up to the brain ... resulting in dizziness, weakness and even fainting spells.

Not a lot is known about NMH ... some scientists have studied it experimentally but alas there's no money to conduct a proper study for publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal. The big drug companies aren't interested in sponsoring studies if they can't be guaranteed big profits for the discovery of a new expensive treatment

There is an excellent article about NMH posted at Our FM/CFS World. ...
Quote:
What you need to know about Neurally Mediated Hypotension and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Q: What is neurally mediated hypotension?

A: Neurally mediated hypotension (NMH) is a condition in which the body has difficulty regulating the blood pressure, especially when one is upright. There seems to be a misconnection between the brain and the nerves that control the blood pressure and heart rate. The reason is unknown.

Q: What happens in this condition?

A: People with this condition experience spells in which the blood pressure drops suddenly, leading to weakness, lightheadedness or dizziness, sweating, vision disturbance and a feeling of fainting or near-fainting. During an episode, some people may get an irresisible urge to sit or lie down or a feeling that something bad may happen if they remain standing.

Q: What is the result of such a spell of low blood pressure?

A: A person suffering spells like this may have prolonged fatigue, weakness, and difficulty with thought, concentration and memory.

Q: Do only people with CFS get NMH?

A: No. It may be seen in people who have no fatigue. And NMH is not seen in all CFS cases, either.

Q: Is NMH the cause of CFS?

A: Some researchers have claimed that CFS is caused by NMH. However, many physicians who specialize in the treatment of CFS believe that this blood pressure regulation is simply another body system knocked out of kilter by CFS. Although it appears that many CFS patients have NMH, clearly there are many others that do not. More research is needed to clear up this point.

Q: How is NMH diagnosed?

A: Unfortunately, it cannot be diagnosed with simple blood pressure measurements. This condition is not the same as the common momentary dizziness that even many well people get when they arise from a chair or from a bed too quickly. The diagnosis requires a "tilt table test".

Q: What is a tilt table test?

A: Under the supervision of a physician, the patient rests motionlessly on a special table that slow tilts upward to a near-standing position. The patient then remains standing on a footrest with a safety belt in place. Blood pressure and pulse rates are continually monitored by a machine. A positive test occurs if the blood pressure falls along with a sudden drop in the pulse rate.

If this blood pressure does not fall during this phase of the test, a medication to raise the pulse rate is given intravenoulsy. If the blood pressure and the pulse rate fall during this stage of the test, then the test is considered positive as well.
You can read the rest of the article by clicking the link to the Our FM/CFS World site, above ..

It should be noted that one of the treatments (which is individualized from one person to the next) is the use of a beta-blocker drug which can "block" the miscommunication and prevent the sudden blood pressure drop. The problem with beta-blockers is that they are known to have a negative effect on insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation So there's no magic bullet out there.

Anyway ... for those of you who've been told you're just imagining things, it might be worth printing out that article to show to your dr. !!

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 10:17

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Mitzi123 -
I sometimes feel the sinking feeling. I feel like I am going up in an elevator, and the floor drops out, and I am sinking all the way down to China. I have never fainted. I saw a cardiologist, as I also have a very irregular heart beat, and the Drs. I have seen, put it down to an inner ear thing, as I have mysteriously lost most of my hearing in my R ear. They have all said that they aren't sure what the prob is. I don't worry about it any more, as I have had it for years, + seen many Drs. It is a scary feeling, tho.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 01:39

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

For me it was meniere's disease which was caused, I believe, by yeast overgrowth affecting my inner ears, especially on the left. I felt like the ground was moving. I found a doctor, who believed me and put me on diurectics, which helped. I also did ear candles, which helped a whole lot, and I haven't had a problem in years. I used to get dizzy before my menstrual cycle, but that seems to have gone away too. Right now, I'm just dealing with fibromyalgia and the tiredness. Hope this info. helps.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 10:59

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have adrenal fatigue and dizziness is one of my major symptoms. Do any of you with this problem have low blood pressure? My bp dropped last year from a normal range to now being around 100/70. I also have fairly bad orthostatic hypotension, yet don't always feel dizzy when I get up. It's worse at some times more than others. I've noticed it seems aggravated by sleep medication as another poster mentioned (I am not using the same drug as her though).

Hope you guys can find solutions to your problems. I don't know about any of you, but my MD doesn't care and thinks antidepressants are the solution for me . Good luck.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 11:00

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I've had the dizziness problem, but it's a lot less since starting to lc. And also the bp of 100/70 (or less sometimes) but my ND is not worried about that. I'm being treated for hypothyroid, and do have FM, and CFIDS. It's a puzzle, but one thing that I found out by lcing is that I have problems with wheat/gluten. So I wonder if the dizziness could be caused by food allergies. Another angle to look into for solutions. ~ Gail