Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:02

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I just made these last night but with Coconut extract!! They were great, if I would have had some natural coconut I would have toasted it for the top, but I didn't, so I had one tsp of coconut extract left so I thought, I will try that before orange..YUMMMYYYY and yes they are so presentable and look great as well as taste great. This weekend, I am going to make a couple different variations of them, definately the orange, and I am not sure which other kind I will make!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

BTW, I ate one this morning for breakfast and it filled me up!!! That is the beauty with Almond Flour and such, one is enough, you dont have to eat 6 (light Krispy Kremes here in the states) to be satisfied.
Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 11:56

Plan: Atkins/person plan
Stats: 298/275/240 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I made these over the weekend and they were awesome...a little eggy, but the flavour was wonderful!

I will definately make these again. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Happy
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I have a question please from someone who's made this recipe or knows the answer -- how much zest would you use? I ask because I have frozen zest in 1 teaspoon amounts and I would have to use this. But, to be honest - I don't know how much to use.

Thanks so much! *Ü*
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb-My Version
Stats: 278.5/000.0/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 217%

Hi: SSin-Deb

To answer your question about the amount of zest, this is what I have found:
1 medium lemon = 1 Tablespoon of zest
1 medium orange = 2 Tablespoons of zest

So, if you are making it with the orange you will need 6 Teaspoons, ( there is 3 tsp. in 1 tblsp).
Hope this helps.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much Mumof4boys! I appreciate your help with this! *Ü*
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Karen,

Although soured (sour) cream does indeed come in a semi-solid form, we measure it in fluid ounces in the UK - however, for those of you in the US, it works out to about half a cup.

Re this issue about whether you need to do something to the cream to sour it - no, you don't need to add anything to it, you should be able to buy it already soured (well at least you can in the UK! )

Hope these explanations help
FYI, all and sundry. Sour Cream (in North America, either US or Canada) is readily measured in liquid/volume form. 4 Fluid Ounces IS 1/2 Cup.

If stuck with milliliters like we are here in Canada quite often, the closest equivalent generally used is 125mL for 1/2 Cup. Technically it's about 240mL converted but that looks odd on the container so marketing has decreed that they're usually packaged as 250mL or 500mL (approx 1 full Cup measure OR 8 Fluid Ounces OR 16 Tablespoons).

If using a kitchen scale, you'll often find that 250mL of most liquids or semi-solids (sour cream, butter, even cream cheese, etc.) is approximately 250g in weight. Convenient, because that means 1 Pound (454g) of butter (for example) is approximately 2 Cups or 16 Fluid Ounces (when melted) or 16 ounces (when weighed). This works mostly for liquids and semi-solids, not for dry measures. Dry stuff weighs differently.

Fun, eh?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 19:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 149/147/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default almond flour?

I cant seem to find almond flour. I've looked in the baking section of local supermarket as well as the natural section. Can you make it with a coffee grinder?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 22:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

I grind whole almonds in my food processor but it generally comes out coarser than the store bought flour. Maybe try to grind slivered almonds for a finer flour...?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 15:22
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

I think the roasted (unsalted) ones work pretty well to grind, too. Not sure if the coffee grinder would work - I'd give it a try if you don't have a food processor.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 05:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
I cant seem to find almond flour.

Try looking for ground almonds instead - they can usually be found alongside the whole almonds and other nuts in the supermarket - ground almonds and almond flour are the same thing, but with a different name.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 05:39

Plan: My Own
Stats: 166/128/126 Female 66 inches
BF:30%/22/20%
Progress: 95%

I made these and they were gorgeous. There was a bit left over and I turned it into half a sandwich cake which my husband loved with a little jam and cream in the middle.

I also tried it in the breadmaker. Again a great result but a little on the heavy side compard with the small cakes.

Any suggestions for lightening the recipe a little for the breadmaker?
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:33

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Gay,
I'm puzzled as to why you'd want to put this mix into a breadmaker - it works just fine made as it is, either for little buns or baked in bigger tins as a sandwich cake. The pounding that it would get in a breadmaker is bound to make it heavy - so much kneading is only suitable for dough mixtures with yeast.
If you look through the recipes, you'll find many that will work well in a machine, although even then, LC bread-making (in my experience) is an art that seems to require an inordinate amount of luck thrown into the mix!!!
Babs
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:51

Plan: My Own
Stats: 166/128/126 Female 66 inches
BF:30%/22/20%
Progress: 95%

Lol Babs

My breadmaker has a cake routine, just mixing and baking. I can't see that it's any different to baking a cake in the oven except that I can split it into 2 in the oven. I must admit I do like being able to throw everything in and forget it

I will try it in a cake tin as my breadmaker is in use experimenting at the moment.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 13:34

Plan: VLC
Stats: 321/299/280 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hI!

How Many Carbs Do These Cakes Have?
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 19:40

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

"My breadmaker has a cake routine, just mixing and baking."
I'd say that the cake routine works best for real flour - LC ingredients are a bit more fragile (no gluten or 'sticking' power) and that may be the reason why it doesn't work so well.
When you get to making more LC breads too, you may find that what works for ordinary flour mixes is turned on its head for LC and you end up with something that neither resembles bread nor is remotely edible by any standards. Be prepared for some frustration and a lot of experimentation - a rich supply of ingredients is a help, too
Babs