Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 268/257/150 Female 68
BF:39%
Progress: 9%
Question This is awesome!

Thanks everyone!

I'm glad there is an awesome support in this thread, I might have to come to this thread often because I'm having a little difficulty how much fat I need to be consuming . I've read the books and it didn't say anywhere how much. I'm having to decrease my protein to 24-27gm/day and lower my carbs to 50gm/day, but I don't know how much fat 30%? too low? how do I figure? I don't want to increase it again because it affects my RA and diabetes. I'm going to try to figure it out this week with fitday.com , hopefully, I can get an understanding.

Thanks.

Cindy Q
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 14:37

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

it seems like fat is one of those things that doesn't have a magic number. it is what works best for the individual. i know for me i try to keep it around 50%, others are different. just remember when you try someting different, give it some time to work before changing again.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 15:56
Registered Member

Unhappy How do you know how much...?

How do you know how much protein? Do I just continue 3-4 oz of protein in each of my 3 meals and 2-3 oz of protein in my snacks?
I've very confused! I used the fitday.com and calories are extremely low. I feel an oncoming, literally, headache, O-W-W.
I was so excited starting out today, but I guess I'm going to have to try the "trial and error" method. I will not go over 50gm/day of carbs, and stay between 1000-1200 calories/day, a-n-d 30% of fats.
Ladies, you make it sound s-o-o easy, how?

Thanks
Cindy Q
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 18:11

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

first, you need to get how much protein from the book. do you have a copy? also i believe the protein is a minimum requirement, you can go over no problem, just dont go under.

second. 30% fat sounds low to me?? where did you get that target?

third. 1000-1200 calories also sound low to me for your current weight of 240. some people try the 10-12x your weight in calories. that would be 2400-2800 calories. i know when i was between 220-250lbs my average calories were 2000-2600 and i was loosing just fine. it has only been lately that i have had to lower calories. and i loose at 16-1800 calories and my weight is 200lbs.

sory if i am confusing you. maybe somebody else will jump in here with some more insite.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:37

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Waterangel

Are you sure you want to decrease your protein to 27 grams per day? Usually, PP recommends at least that much protein per meal
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Thanks Nelson, I think that is probably right. I was understanding that you had to divide that amount by 3 (meals), and re-read the book and it did not indicate per meal. My assumption that amount meant per day.
And acipenser I did read the book twice, please read the above paragraph to Nelson. My amount is suppose to be 23.7 per meal , not per day. I get it.
Thanks.

Cindy Q
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't worry too much about it. Make sure you get adequate protein, eat lots of vegetables, the right fruit and tone down on the high fat dairy products. Use olive and other good oils liberally.

In the dark ages of low-carbing when I first started PP, I made copies of the Protein Equivalency Chart that corresponded to my protein needs and a list of the allowed vegetables that I like to eat with the portion and carb counts beside them. I kept copies in my purse and on the fridge at home. This is something you may want to do until it becomes second nature to you

I never used fitday at first, then I used it for a while, then dropped it. I always used lots of olive oil on my salads and vegetables and stayed away from the fake foods - probably because there were none around 5 years ago!

Karen
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 14:12
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Have Tried Both over 7 Years - PP works better for me

Hi,

Waterangel - no wonder you were feeling sick - too low protein! PP is an ADEQUATE protein diet, Atkins is a gorge yourself on protein diet.

I ate so much meat when I have done Atkins that I have developed a gag reflex when I eat over 4 oz of meat at one sitting. I supplement with a whey shake and 1tbs cream.

I meed 110gP based on Protein Power calculations and my activity level. Looks like you are pretty close to that.

One danger I have seen on Atkins is that since he doesn't mention MINIMUM protein requirements, I have seen a lot of people obsess on carbs and don't eat ENOUGH protein.

My main beef against Atkins is that the rules of induction change from EVERY edition of his book. In 1972, there was no rules list; in 1992 the rules list appeared (5 rules); 1999 it grew to 12. Currently on the website it is 13 rules.

My life is complicated enough! Recently (last week) I re-read my Protein Power book and I felt like I was getting a breath of fresh air.

Yes, they do advocate lower-fat items, but not for the old-diet reasons, it's due to the anachrondic acid in red meats - the most concentration of these acids is in red meat fat and egg yolks.

I still go back to the carb counts there (Atkins Carb counts change as well - he still lists 1 cup of sauerkraut as allowed on induction! - what a load of hooey - 1 cup is 10gC NET!).

I agree with Karen, eat adequate protein and eat lost of vegetables and from that point, there is no real difference between Atkins and PP.

Tom.