Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:28

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Anleigh....thank you!

Hey Anleigh (and others who posted on the maintaining skinny thread...)
Just wanted to say thank you for posting your views-- i'm going through the same thing and have felt just awful lately! I mean, since starting Atkins, I have felt great-- so healthy, so energized, i eat sooo much yummy food but get my veggies and exercise-- and after years of hating the mirror, i love my body and my clothes now.... yet a few people keep saying I'm too think and need to gain 10 lb and asking if I have an ED....grrrr....a couple of times, I took what they said to heart and binge ate and then felt awful afterwards!! It's likely their the ones making my eating disordered by all their negative thoughts....sorry to rant, but knowing that others out there have had the same experience makes me feel soo much better

I noticed my stats were a lot like yours too-- i was 165 and am now 100, really small frame and Asian (we just tend to be lighter for god's sake)....if u want to sort of buddy up, or continue with support, i'm game

at any rate, let me know how things have made out for you (and others!)....and what u do to combat this problem =)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%
Talking Hiya Trustycat!

Hiya Trustycat!

Would you mind sharing how long it took you to get to your goal weight and the steps you took to get there- if you kept track of calories and exericised, etc.? Your progress is inspiring. I have had some bumps in the road so to speak, but am determined to get to my goal weight before summer so this year I can enjoy the beach instead of wanting to stay (hide) indoors. Thanks!!!
Hazelnut
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:44

BF:

sure-- believe me, I tried every diet and nothing worked-- i was at 165 lb for a long time! Then I just made up my mind to loose weight when I came to college-- within my first year at college, I dropped to 125 lb, pretty much by walking around campus more, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and eating healthier like salads, sandwiches with lite bread, yogurt, lots of tofu, and grilled chicken (it was low carb even though i didn't know it!)....i then had sort of a medical problem over the summer where i had a reaction to this malaria drug that is now recalled-- anyways, my weight bounced down and then up again, so i ended up becoming 130 lb of mostly fat! That's when I decided to go on atkins, hoping to loose the weight and maintain the muscle...and get to a lifetime eating style where i may even be able to build some muscle.... i did a modified atkins starting after thanksgiving 2003 to ease into it and then strict atkins induction starting january 1st (the new year!) after messing up a few times, i re-read the book and began what I call "real" induction on jan 12th....i eat about 2000 cal per day and try to do 40 min-1 hour of cardio (kickboxing, dancing, treadmill, pilates) each day in addition to walking around campus again.... i only eat 3 meals, no snacks, and try to make breakfast the biggest meal of the day-- hope this helps, and good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Congrats on your success, trustycat!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:40

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Trustycat - I am just now seeing your post. I don't get on this board much but I should. I tend to hang around another one too much. You appear to be a lot younger than me, but that is OK. I would love to be buddies. Tell me more about what your menu is like. Do you pretty much eat what you want as long as it is not sugar, white flour, pasta, white rice, high carb veggies and fruits? That is where I sort of am at this point. I'm not as good as you; I do have to have at least one snack during the day. I could go crazy over sugar free candy if I let myself. I really have to control it. Thanks for the post. Anleigh
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 16:19

BF:

yes, i'm trying hard to eat what i want, avoiding the exact foods you mentioned-- sometimes i feel like I SHOULD eat something, because of all the pressue from media (so and so is good for you, such and such is bad) and friends (u need to gain weight, eat this and this), but I'm trying really hard to eat what I want to eat and not what others want me to eat. What other forum do you spend time on?
have u (or others) had any physical problems like weird menstruation, hair loss, lanugo hair.....usually associated with fast weight loss?--sometimes, symptoms like that which are related to eating disorders freak me out and make me wonder if I am too thin.....but then I realize that I really like my body, I eat sooo much every day, and i feel healthier than i have in years!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:01

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Wow, trustycat, congratulations on your successful loss and maintaining it. You don't gain on 2000 calories? I know I eat more calories than most people my size (1500 most days, never below 1400, sometimes 1800-2000) but I think I am only able to do that becuase I keep my carbs low (working on upping them though b/c I keep losing). I don't think I keep losing because of my calorie level, but maybe I need to up them? If you don't mind me asking, what is your CCLM?

I too am sick of people telling me I need to gain weight. I am Asian and from a family of very petite people, and have been thin most of my life. I do experience the cold feeling, and my hair is thinning, but from my understanding that is normal with a big dietary change and loss in weight, and once your body gets used to it, the symptoms disappear. It's your body, and if you're happy and healthy, you don't need someone to tell you how much you should eat or weigh.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:06

BF:

Hey believe27-- thanks for the support! I think a lot of people including doctors forget that Asians tend to be thinner (and tend to have more ab fat in general which is why its so imp for us to control our weight!)...do u mind if I ask how tall you are? your stats say 93 is your current weight, are you trying to gain to 100?
I hate the hair thinning the most, though i've noticed i'm not loosing as much. Will it ever grow back, do u know?
i'm pretty suprised that i'm not gaining either, and yet my calories are so high! i've found that i actually loose more when I eat more though--weird, but i guess it pumps up my metabolism??? I keep my carbs really low too-- not on purpose, it just happens that way
I never really found my CCLM--i got so frustrated with the hidden carbs and not knowing portion sizes that i began with the 3 cups veggies/limited cheese rule and now just eat unlimited veggies, chicken, tuna, eggs, cheese, etc--i think i am around 30 or so now...although i reached my goal weight and think i can have more carbs, i want to re-introduce them slowly so that i won't shock my system. What about you?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:32

BF:

Hi trustycat, thanks for replying. I am 5'3", and yes, those numbers tend to shock some people but if they saw me, they would know it is because i am extremely small framed. I've basically always been 97-100 pounds, so 93 isn't too low for me so I"m just trying to maintain. I wouldn't freak out if I was 95 or so though. I am actually weight training (no cardio, can't lose anymore!) so maybe I can put on a couple pounds of muscle. While I did purposely reinduct after cheating over hte holidays, I didn't purposely stay at very low carb levels the whole way, I read the book and all but just sort of got lazy. Before the cheat I did add in nuts and LC bread, but I have been trying to keep it clean as I have discovered candida (yeast) problems. I am a college student and it was too complicated to have to keep track of my carbs and all after a while. I'm sure since you are active (and young I'm assuming... I'm 18, how old are you?) that you could afford to up your carbs more, as long as you do it slowly and by the suggested rungs. I don't think mine is over 30, so I'd be happy to get to 30 and maintain there. (I guess if I exercised more I could make it higher but its hard to fit it into my schedule) It was just so easy eating induction-level carbs I guess. I don't crave carbs and I have a little appetite so it's a struggle for me to get my carbs up (can't imagine what to eat to get to 30!) and my calories above 1500. How are you going about upping your carbs and finding your CCLM (how slowly and with what and how long)? I have decided not to weigh at all this week as I up my carbs b/c I feel bloated. Ever have this problem?

My hair loss only started recently and has slowed down. I find that taking Biotin helps, and a good thickening shampoo. Anyway, I'd love to hear back from you when you have the time! have a nice day
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 19:11

BF:

Hey believe-- haha, seems like we're bouncing back and forth... actually, i haven't really uped my stats yet, but i am around 98 lbs now. I found that i continued to loose when I upped my carbs with veggies...i'm 19...and i have the same thing where i don't really crave carbs-- i love veggies, cheese, chicken, eggs, and tuna, so induction levels have been so much fun! I guess that's what i'm afraid of-- i love eating so much food/fat and i'm worried i will have to cut back if i start adding more carbs. I mean, i just prefer lots of olive oil on top of a salad rather than like a cup of yogurt.... but i know that high fat-high carb is the worst combination which is why i don't want to add too many carbs...sigh, so complicated =)
i used to feel bloated everytime i ate a meal when i was eating high carbs-- i've gotten so much better since low-carbing. Glad to hear about the hair loss, i started taking biotin too-- what kind of shampoo do u recommend?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:07

BF:

Eek, I found out the same thing this morning! I upped my carbs and had 2000+ calories, the extra veggie fiber did make me feel bloated yesterday but it sort of subsided and this morning I weighed 91 or 91.5. I'm weighing every 3 or 4 days, hopefully this was just a fluke and I"ll stabilize at 93-95 again.
I know what you mean about how great it is to be able to eat so much on Atkins and not feel bloated and tired and hungry like when on high carb, I guess that's why I liked the induction levels so much. Always felt full, had to split my meals up and force that last meal down because I always felt so satisfied eating the fat and protein and veggies. But I gotta stop losing, so I have to put up with the bloating and annoying calculations of adding more carbs. So I guess we're doing the same thing right now, we gotta add them in slowly and carefully. What are you adding in and how much? Also, since youre a fellow college LCer, what do you eat in the cafeterias and keep in your dorm room? Do you take any supplements? Gosh, and the exercise thing. I don't really have time in my schedule for lots of it. Have you cut back on your exercise at all?I stopped cardio cause I think it contributed to my constant pound dropping. *sigh* At least once I find my CCLM I don't have to bother with these calculations and tweaking anymore and can just enjoy. I don't miss most carbs at all, but I know I need to do this.

My hair is nearly waist length, and getting finer so I can't use the heavy hair producs I used to use (my old staples: Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner and Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom) So now I switched to drugstore brands which aren't as conditioning (or expensive for that matter). Right now I like Pantene's new "Full and Thick" shampoo for fine/thinning hair, and then I use Pantene's Moisture therapy conditioner cause my ends tend to be drier. I think the shampoo does make my hair look a bit thicker and gives it more volume, or maybe I'm just a sucker for advertising haha. Anyway, hope everything's going well for you!

Last edited by believe27 : Tue, Feb-03-04 at 11:11.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:13

BF:

lol--isn't funny how u can eat so much and loose weight! (but scary too--def try adding carbs i guess, wouldn't want u to disappear...j/k) I guess dealing with the bloating is just something u'll have to do-- like dealing with constipation or what not. I'm adding lots of veggies and cheese right now, and tofu too. i'm not really sure what else to add-- any thoughts? What have u tried?
In the dining halls, i get salad, grilled chicken if they have it, eggs, tuna salad, deli meats...and then i keep tofu, cheese, some veggies, and frozen garden burgers in my room. Oh, and jell-o, protein shakes, and a couple of bars and flax-o-meal hot cereal, and tuna. I've cut back on exercise, but more because i have midterm week coming up.
thanks for the shampoo tip--the hair thing really bothers me. i used to have waist hair length too but cut it when it started falling out. For supplements, i take a multi-vitamin, calcium, and biotin-- u take more...what does that l-ace..something or the other do? I was thinking about it...
I was 95 this morning-- i just want to stabilize too, guess i'll see what happens...keep me updated though, i'm glad someone else is going through this with me! =)
btw, what college do u go to.... just out of curiosity
and, have u had some of the other symptoms people report like lanugo hair (hair growth on other parts of the body), weird period cycles, loose skin?.....
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:24

BF:

Hi! I basically eat lots of meat, eggs, fat, and veggies, pork rinds, have added back cream cheese and mozzarella cause they're ok for candida. Upped the veggies considerably but am not keeping track of the #'s anymore. I Don't like soy, so the tofu and garden burgers I don't do. The Acetyl-L carnitine is for mental clarity/memory and energy. Have you added nuts yet? that's next for me. Before I cheated and had to reinduct, and while I was doing the OWL rungs correctly, I was totally addicted to macadamias and cashews. They're really good.

Ugh, midterms do suck, don't they? Since I stopped cardio, I"ve been lifting weights, cause I'm trying to put on a couple pounds of muscle. Maybe you could lift in your free time, you can even do it in your dorm.

About those symptoms... I'm on BC pills so I have my period. If you don't, and if you have any of those other symptoms, I'd suggest you go to a doctor. Hair loss and loose skin are normal after losing weight, but Lanugo and skipped periods are an indication of something serious. Please see a doctor ASAP! Anyway, good luck on midterms and keep us all updated.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 15:07

BF:

hey-- yeah, i love nuts! tell me more about your cheat over thanksgiving (u keep mentioning it...)--how much did u cheat and how much did u regain? I asked about the period actually cause i was thinking about going on bc pills (just to be more regular, i'm normally incredibly irregular)...but i'm afriad bc pills will cause adverse side effects like more hair loss, mood swings, unreasonable weight gain-- any suggestions? I just have hair loss and loose skin, and did see a doctor who said it was normal with weight loss (sucks, doesn't it!) update-- 2000 cal yesterday, 95 lb this morning.....wonder what tomorrow will be!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:04

BF:

haha that's because it wasn't just one cheat, it was a series of them... the domino effect. I had dropped below 90 after a skiing trip and sort of freaked out (that is disgustingly skinny IMO) and my bf kept complaining about my bony butt so I thought I'd cheat once to put on some poundage. Well I cheated on thanksgiving, 7 pieces of pecan pie plus some other stuff, and then I said what the heck and cheated the next day, and the next, and you get the picture. Dunno how much I gained but it felt like I gained 1000 pounds, but it wasn't just that, it was how I felt physically, my head hurt, sleepy, lethargic, miserable. So even tho I had been doing well progressing thru the OWL rungs etc., I had to undo all that work by reinducting and that's how I got in this mess. WHat about you, how did you find yourself in this situation?

I don't think BC pills will have any bad effects, I mean I don't notice anything. even if I were to experience side effects, the benefits of the pill (health and relationship wise haha) outweigh the negatives. You should try it if your period is irregular; straightened mine out right away.