Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 08:18

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 186/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

<For the laser treatments, did you have to let the facial hair grow out or were they able to perform the treatment on a shaved face? I would love to do laser once I get the hormones under control, but cringe at the thought of going in public (even in the laser treatment waiting room) with a beard or stubble.>

Spy: You need a small amount of growth...for me it was a couple of days worth so they can laser the follicle. For me that was daunting, but I just did it over a weekend and then booked my appt a long time ahead for a mon 1st thing. The gentlelase procedure removed ~ 75% of my stubble. After that, it takes a few days for the remaining hairs to fall out, but you can shave them off if you like. They are coarser so it is harder to do the first few days.

Don't be embarrassed at the office. I made a concious decision to chose not to be embarassed, becuase this problem was not my fault. In the few times when I talked to people (or my technician) about it, they talked about how common it was. I just wore a turtle neck for a couple of days and reminded myself that even though it was hard it was one step toward never having this problem again. Plus everyone else in the office was going through the same thing I was. I'd rather take a risk and get rid of this problem once and for all.

Now here I sit ~9 weeks after my 8th appt, and what little growth I have is very fine and I shave about once every 7-10 days. I could try and laser this last little bit, but the expense has been a factor (~ 650.00 total) and I'm not sure the fineness of what's left would respond all that well. It was all worth it to feel female again. )

Tommie: I can't find any food info entered on your account. Have you logged any food in yet, or am I jumping the gun? ;o)
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 06:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filsgirl
Hi Markar,
I thought I was one of very few to have PCOS and IR. I've had PCOS for about 30 years. I'm glad that there is now so much info out there to help us. When first diagnosed I was just told that I didn't ovulate. That was it. So glad to have found this forum.

Hi Everybody I finally found a forum with women just like me. I love it and so many of the things I am reading right now about weight loss I have experienced cutting out my sugar and getting on the Atkins. Also I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but I rarely have my periods (maybe twice a year) but when I get on the Atkins, in the first week I have my period. I am also IR so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am on my third day of Atkins diet today and this time I am going to stick with it. Two years ago I lost about thirty lbs in two months. Got lazy and went back to my old ways. Now I am suffering with my back and it has to do with being so middle heavy. So now I need to do this so I don't suffer anymore. I was also one who was diagnosed with PCOS and for years I never have paid attention to it. But now when I want a child it is becoming a big concern. I am excited to read about the medications that are out there. Alright just thought I would post a Big Hello
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 18:05

Plan: First South Beach now IR
Stats: 225/198/165 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hey Sandy -- welcome. I too have PCOS and am trying to concieve. Losing weight thru the IR diet is the best thing you can do for your fertility. And if you are in your 30s, like me, no time to waste! Take care, Kate
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 18:09

BF:

BTW, I am no longer 212 (as stated to the right). I am down to 198, so the IR diet is definitely working! Does anyone know how to change your profile? kate
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 13:25
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

KateN-
Go to User CP (It's in the long blue bar that goes across the page - on the left) then Click on Edit profile on the left)

Congrats on the loss!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 07:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/180/130 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had a wheat bagel from D&D w/egg & cheese. Was that awful or ok? Can someone look at my fitday?

my fitday journal
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:11

BF:
Default IR Diet

Thanks SSO -- I updated my profile.

Burg,

Your carbs and protein for that breakfast 28/19 are right in line with the IR diet. Basically, you need to have 7g of protein for 15g carbs or 15g protein for 30g carbs. You should not exceed 30g carb in a two hour period.

Although I have lost 30 pounds, I am still learning my lessons. The other night, I went to a seminar where they served cookies and juice. Well, the next morning I had gained 2lbs! One or two small cookies and a glass of milk would have been fine. But the combo of 1 large cookie and the juice was not good at all. I eat eggs everyday for breakfast, and think they are a great source of protein, plus they contain nutrients that are important for pregnancy. I also have three glasses of milk a day. And meat and cheese snacks (I make nachos with soy chips and cheese -- yummy).

I highly rec the IR diet book and 1001 Low Carb Recipes for Life by Sue Spitler. We have made dozens of recipes out the that book and all are really good. You can find these books the cheapest at Overstock.com.

Take care,
Kate

PS Exercise is also important and the IR book has guidelines that are reasonable.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 03:05

Plan: don't know.
Stats: 122/121/114 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

i have insulin resistant (IR), i'm 23 f, and i weigh 122lbs.

Am i too young to have IR?
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 08:41

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 186/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

'Am i too young to have IR?'

IR doesn't discriminate...young or old can be IR. I started showing signs as a teenager.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 19:58

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglc
Hi All,

I've been on the Insulin Resistance Diet since May. snip

I have reached a sticking weight of 230 - and I exercise, drink water, etc. The weight hasn't budged in several weeks so I'm trying Atkins Induction now - started today.

snip

I see that now, March 14, 2005, your weight is at 218, so I guess something worked, right? Was it the Atkins Induction, or Insulin Resistance?
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 08:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiec68
I dont know why it is not showing in my signature line. It shows there when I go to cp. Oh well. Here it is. http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=tommiec68
I would love comments from any and all. I wish I was one of the lucky ones that looses quickly.

Hi, Kiddo.....I'd love to help, but gee, I must be doing sumpin' wrong, 'cause I don't see anything in your FitDay journal except empty records. I went back to March 12.....should I go back further than that?

I'm completely dumb on FitDay.....I used it for just a short while 'way back a couple years ago......
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 08:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious
'Am i too young to have IR?'

IR doesn't discriminate...young or old can be IR. I started showing signs as a teenager.

In fact, it seems to say in the IR book that if you have it now, you likely had it all your life. At least that's my read on it.

Anybody else get that?
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 10:08

BF:

Hope all is going well w/ you.....

Take care,
sky
  #59   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 05:49

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Hello All...

Just started the IR Diet and food combinging this week. I enjoy being able to eat cereal again and fruit... Hopefully, this will work just fine. Particularly when I am craving my carbs...can still eat them and reap the benefits. Looking forward to talking with all of you more about this journey...and losing weight at the same time...
  #60   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 13:34

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Bbbbbbump...........