Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I drink about a gallon a day. Sometimes more when the ketosis thirsties grab me at night. I should try and shoot for 2 gall and see what happens.

I treadmill walk most days for the week for 40 mins (about 2 miles I think) and I think that has done a lot of toning in my body.

Today I drop my dose of the supplements until the 7 days are up. Still feeling fine and no anxiety about having given up. The occasional very mild "memory jolt" and I seem to be able to easily distract myself from.

With Nicorettes, I fought constant hard cravings because the nicotene never really left my body. This is the first time I've done a non nicotene replacement quit and it's DEFINATELY the way to go.

I'm now kind of angry about being talked into nico replacement programs by doctors and friends for so many years.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Stats: 315/215/200 Male 5ft. 10in.
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sounds like you are drinking plenty of water. I tried the gum last year, lasted for about 3 days then i was chewing the gum and smoking at the same time haha. Are you having any of the hand to mouth thing everyone talks about when you quit?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:03

BF:

No the hand mouth thing seems fine for. Just the occassional mild memory jolt at trigger times like after dinner. I get a small wash of melancholy about missing what I thought was my best friend..LOL

Then it passes very quickly and I'm fine again. Sooooo much better than the constant reminder of the gum. I really couldn't get smoking or quitting out of my mind for the 3 months.

Now I'm reminded just a few times a day when I take the supplements. By next week when I'm done with the supplements, I'm hoping even those reminders will fade away

In short: I'm doing good
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 18:37

BF:

Ok well tomorrow is my last day with these supplements. I have phase two supplement to take if I need them. But I think it's safe to say this point, I am an ex smoker. It was surprisingly painless. Amazingly painless to tell the truth.

I'm still wondering if the fact that I am already low carb has help my body deal with this? I think I'll research the relationship between carbs and nicotine more....

I definately felt very calm this week. I wasn't looking foreward to the bad tempered jitters I thought I'd experience and I dreaded taking my discomforts out on the family. But miracles of miracles, no such thing happened and amazingly I am also PMSing

That supplement seems to have this very calming effect.

So, after a week I would have to say I recommend this system. I really would. I feel fine and fit and calm.

Yipeeee! I'm an ex smoker!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 22:47
Registered Member

BF:

Well Ive decided to go ahead and purchase the system! Thanks so much for recording your progress. Congrats on quitting! I should have it by next week.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:02

BF:

Well great. I hope you have the positive week I have had. I'd really appreciate you also recording your week's progress if you feel up to it.

In the mean time, I am going on the hunt for info regarding low carbing/ insulin resistance and smoking cessation.

I remember years ago getting a little yellow book from my public library written by a doctor on quitting smoking. He maintained that almost complete abstinance from carbs while giving up was essential for no weight gain and ??other things.

I didn't give it too much credence at the time because I saw "very low carbs" and thought "No way Jose...I can't do that" and took the book back.

Now I'm going to hunt it down again.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

I got my kit just waiting for a day off to start , I wwant to make sure i don't have any of the mentioned side effects. One question, did you smoke at all during the first few days?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 05:40

BF:

No I didn't. I chose a Monday morning to begin. I smoked my last cigarette about 10 pm the night before and took the first dose of supplements. Then I went to bed.

I forgot to mention that during the first few days my sleep got interrupted a lot. Not insomnia as such, but I'd wake maybe 3 times a night, alert and genuinely thinking it was morning. Go to the bathroom and see something like 3.30am...urgh. But then I drop back to sleep very easily. It really wasn't like I couldn't sleep. I'd just bounce awake...strange.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 21:23

Stats: 221/221/190 Female 5'7"
BF:49.5%/48.5%/25%
Progress: 0%

Can you give us another update? I'm thinking of trying it and I'd like to see how you're both doing. Thanks in advance!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 22:37
Registered Member

BF:

I haven't actually started yet. I have the kit i'm just waiting for a week when I'll have a few days off in a row from work I know its a bad excuse but changes at my job have been very stressful and i want to make sure I won't be sneaking out the back for a smoke or yelling at people for no reason hehe. Looks like it will be about a week and a half then i shoul dbe able to get going. Ill post updates!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 07:54

BF:

Christa, I am still steaming along just fine. I never did take the phase 2 supplements because they were optionaql if you felt you needed them. I just never did

I've lost 2 pounds since the day I quit nearly 3 weeks ago.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 09:40

Stats: 221/221/190 Female 5'7"
BF:49.5%/48.5%/25%
Progress: 0%

toning_up, sounds like you'd recommend it?

I searched all over the web for info and reviews, but all I found were sites that sold it (and I don't really trust those reviews).

I think I just might try it! If it works, $50 is a lot less than I'll spend on smokes. If it doesn't, it was worth a try.

Thanks for the input!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 06:57

BF:

I would recommend it Christa. I still think doing it in conjunction with a low carb diet has enhanced its effects and made it easier, but I have no evidence to support that other than a hunch. I wasn't craving carbs when I gave up and continued not to do so. Perhaps if I'd been eating like my old self at the time, the carb cravings would have been worse? I don't know.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:09

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLotus
One of my co-workers has used it sucessfully twice.

Ha? Is that a joke, like: Its very easy to quit smoking, I have done it a dozen times?

For me the patch and gum and a lot of will power worked - but it added 20 or so pounds that I am not off yet!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:18

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
I haven't actually started yet. I have the kit i'm just waiting for a week when I'll have a few days off in a row from work I know its a bad excuse but changes at my job have been very stressful .....Looks like it will be about a week and a half then i shoul dbe able to get going. Ill post updates!

It is not a bad excuse, its good planning. If you are kind of assuming it won't work - don't start. It is hard enough to stop smoking, so to plan for a specific time is great, and you don't want to try it several times and get frustrated. For me, vacation were always a time I smoked less - for example, I don't smoke on a ski lift or skiing downhill. It was hard for me, but after years I rarely crave, although I do like to play with the devil and occasionally have one (5 x/year) - very dangerous. Good Luck to you: Look forward to: a better singing and speaking voice, fewer colds, no more frowns by family members, better smell in your house if that's where you smoked, tastier kiss...!