Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I never eat after 6 and haven't for the almost 7 months I've been LCing. Doesn't make any difference to me! Some days I lose 2 pounds then nothing for 2 weeks! Everyone is different but I don't think this will make you lose a pound everyday! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Hmmmmmmm sounds like something I might like to try. Thanks for sharing!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
This makes perfectly good sense to me. If you normally snack in the evenings and then stop snacking in the evenings, you are eating fewer calories, so yup, that will help with weight loss.

Arnie

I disagree... I eat more calories at my evening reward meal, and in total on CAD than Atkins. The difference in my case seems to be timing. If I "save" some legal food from my daily menu, and eat it in the evening, my loss slows.

My evening snack consisted of a little celery and cream cheese. The only change I made was having it with my lunch instead of at 9:00 pm.

I don't know why this works, but for me it does.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 07:14

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am new in this board and am very interested in your thoughts, suggestions, and your methods. I will try about anything at this point. I started on October 27th, 2003 and have lost 39 pounds so far ~ 256 to 217, but have not lost one, NOT ONE, in three weeks!!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 07:20

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

Ok, last night dinner was at 5:30 and then at 8:00 I had a mug of decaf coffee and by 10:00 I was fast asleep.

This morning I was 136.5.

As you can see that is 1/2 pound up...hummmmm, it wasn't hard to do, so I will continue the rest of the week and post my results...and it wasn't as if I ate more at lunch or dinner (hamburger patty w/ mozzerella cheese on it, moch mash potatoes and green beans)

Anyone else trying this?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:14

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

DOES NOT WORK. I live in Spain so we eat dinner every night at 9 or 10, and I've lost 25 pounds since I've been here.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:19

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm trying it, but not weighing myself to till the end of the week. By the above logic, I should be 5 lbs down, we'll see I was hungry as heck when I woke up though....
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:37

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

been doing this for a month now (since a stall) and it definately works!

this is what i do... eat my last meal with solids at around 6pm... then have a protein shake + flaxseed oil at around 8pm (need to put in the protein otherwise my muscles complain the day after haha)... lose a good 1.5lbs a week even though i'm in OWL (60carbs) and only under 10lbs to goal
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:37

Stats: 207.5/195.5/105 Female 61.5 inches
BF:38/35.8/20
Progress: 12%

I had my dinner at 6:30 last night, with nothing but water until bed time, and was down 1 lb this morning, I'll keep going until my Thursday weigh-in for my group to see if I continue to lose (Xfingers crossedX).

Good luck to all who are trying.

Mims
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:43
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

I think it probably depends on when you go to bed whether 6pm is the magic number or not. I got to fairly early so that is right for me. Btw, I ate at 7 last night and I was up a pound this morning.

Dana
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - Induction!
Stats: 170/157/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think I'll avoid food past 8:00. I'm usually up till 12 or so anyway so 4 hours before bedtime should be lots. I'll check my progress and see if I notice any difference.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:51
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Isn't the idea behind eating every 6 waking hours to prevent us from burning muscle instead of fat? Maybe you should have a very light protein snack around 8.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:29

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have read a lot of studies on this and what it boils down to is calories in calories out. If you save enough calories to eat a pre-portioned snack in the evening than it shouldn't matter if you have one. If you have already consumed the maximum amount of calories for the day, then added a snack of let's say 200 calories (which is easy to do) you have eaten too many calories to lose.
Me personally, if I snack at night I am adding extra calories to my day. If I skip a snack and let dinner be my last meal, I'm saving myself 200 or so calories a day.
I do think that it is a good idea though to have a cut of point it keeps you in control because technicaly this WOE does not require us to count calories.

IMHO If it works for you great though, anything that works in my mind is awesome!

Wee

I don't eat dinner until 8:00, my DH doesn't even get home til' 7:00 or after.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 14:44
Registered Member

Stats: 191/190/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Regardless of whether or not it makes you lose a pound a day, I think it is a bad idea to eat near bedtime. There is no reason to send yourself to bed with a full stomach, though I've been doing it for year.

I am up for this challenge just because I think it would be better for my body in general. I work 3rd shift and go to bed soon after I get home. Sometimes I stay up for a few hours and go have breakfast with friends, so...I pledge this. I will not eat for 3 hours prior to going to bed. I am not sure if this is a proper amount of time. Anyone that has done any research on it, please let me know. I will only drink water prior to going to bed if I am feeling a case of the munchies (which does not usually represent hunger w/me).

Today is my Monday, so....I currently weigh 167 lbs. Please keep in mind that I am currently on Induction and losing rather quickly at the moment anyway.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:54

Stats: 207.5/195.5/105 Female 61.5 inches
BF:38/35.8/20
Progress: 12%
Thumbs up

2nd night down and I had a bit of trouble last night, I didn't eat anything after dinner at 6:00, only water and a cup of green tea to warm up. My biggest problem was that I thought I was hungry, but in reality I was just missing the act of nightly snacking. The up side is that my GERD has been much better with out the evening snacks. I was told by the Dr not to eat anything 2 hours before bed, but the few extra hours has made a huge difference not only at night but all day as well.

Mims