Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 04:35

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Tuesday, January 6

Rise and shine! This is my day for working from home, but I still woke up at 4:00 am. Stayed in bed until 5:00, but here I am now, sitting at the computer and drinking my first tall glass of cold water for the day.

I wanted to clarify something I said yesterday. Lissette had asked about walnuts. I looked it up, and found that 1/4 cup (1 ounce) of walnuts have 3 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber. If you subtract the fiber, you come up with 0 carbs. So, I had said "Oh boy! Free food!" Karen responded and said she hoped I said this tongue-in-cheek. OF COURSE I was kidding! The only "free food" is water. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think they can eat walnuts (or any other extremely LC food) all day long with no consequences. Each serving of walnuts, for example, packs with it almost 200 calories!

So I'm going to mosey on over to Fitday and order the new software they have available. I've been itching to be anal about this. Hmmmmm. That last sentence kind of gives you a visual, huh? Ewwwwwwwwww!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 07:07

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Good Morning

Bawdy, I know what you mean about LCing being "our little secret". I worry that once this really goes mainstream, we will see some issues similar to low fat dieting. By this I mean that all the manufactureres will jump on the bandwagon, make low-carb funky foods (processed) and then people won't lose like they should and blame the diet plans. Lets just hope that people are well educated about LCing!!

The Stellas (the chefs that were featured on the Food Network show) are actually going to have their own cooking show on there come spring!! I look forward to that as I do like to cook when I have time. Their web site has excellent suggestions for low carbing successfully, plus a forum: http://www.lowcarbchefs.com/

I am seriously looking at that Fitday PC......looks more complete. Fitday is great but it is missing things, and it looks like the paid version has it. Does anyone else have it yet?

Thanks guys for the vitamin suggestions!! Twin Labs seems to be very popular. I will have to check them out

Have a great day!

Robin

Last edited by RobinBeBe : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 07:09.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 08:31

BF:

I'll have to look for that show.

I've downloaded the FitDay PC and have started using it. It's really quite good. Of course, it takes a while to get used to things, but that's true with any new software.

It has a great overview section that shows on one screen your average percentages over time (you pick the timespan, like the past week or the past month), your daily weight loss, a graph that shows your projected weight loss (based on numbers you enter) from start to goal, number of calories burned based on number of calories eaten based on your custom day of activity, etc.

I've only been using it for a little over an hour, but I would recommend it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 09:05

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Bawdy - I didn't have a chance to get online last night to post the Dobie Muffin recipe for Unity....could you do it? Thanks!!! Gotta run....Be back later
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 09:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi all. Bawdy, I downloaded the Fitday software too. Let me know how you like it. Did you say there's a recipe builder on it? I got it before I left home this AM so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I figured I had spent at least twenty dollars on low carb ice cream and popcorn, etc over the past few months so this is way more worth it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 10:39

BF:

Ellie, I'd be glad to post the recipe! If I do say so myself, mine are the best ever. Here goes:

2 cups ground flaxseeds
1 cup protein powder (I use Carb Solutions vanilla, which is already sweetened)
1/2 cup SF syrup (try using maple)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
6 eggs
6 tsp extract (if you use SF maple syrup, use maple extract)
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

(note that you're not adding any oil; you won't need it)

Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl, and wet ingredients together in another bowl. Then mix the two. It will be lumpy. Let it sit AT LEAST 5 minutes to thicken.

Bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes. Maybe 45. Better to go a little longer because they stay "wet" in the middle otherwise.

This makes 12 LARGE muffins (or 24 regular-sized muffins).

Nutrition counts for 1 large (or 2 small):

With nuts:
258 calories
17 grams fat
8 grams ECC (fiber has already been deducted)
14 grams protein

No nuts:
193 calories
11 grams fat
7 grams ECC (fiber has already been deducted)
13 grams protein

NOTES: You can flavor these any way you like. For example, you can use orange SF syrup and orange extract. Or vanilla SF syrup and vanilla extract. If you don't have SF syrup, use the same amount of Splenda. Shouldn't make a difference.

Let me know what you think of them!

------------------------

Robin, so far I love it. Just add a custom food and there's a tab to input the ingredients. You have to be a little careful, though, in that you have to enter the quantity of the entire recipe (like 6 cups) first, and then add all the ingredients. Then, when you enter it in your daily log, you would specify 1 cup (or whatever).

Let me know if you have any other problems. It was slow going for a little bit, but then I got the hang of it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 13:02

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

I looked it up, and found that 1/4 cup (1 ounce) of walnuts have 3 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber. If you subtract the fiber, you come up with 0 carbs. So, I had said "Oh boy! Free food!" Karen responded and said she hoped I said this tongue-in-cheek. OF COURSE I was kidding! The only "free food" is water. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think they can eat walnuts (or any other extremely LC food) all day long with no consequences. Each serving of walnuts, for example, packs with it almost 200 calories!

Oh man, there goes my unlimited snack food! that is one thing that I have added to watch now that I am down to the last 10 pounds, THE CALORIES! I am trying to keep my carbs to not go past 35, up my protein, and not go over 1400 calories, some days I am only at 1000, it just depends on my appetite and day!

That fitday down load sounds intriguing, You all will have to give a final report after using it for a while!

I have not found that food show yet, we have dish network, and alot of channels.(hey living out in the boonies ya NEED them!) Actually I have rather enjyed the Egyptian ones with the tomb dicoveries and mummies and all! My ds just LOVES thes shows to, (I just taped the Ice man discovery show on discovery for him!)
Well I better mosey for now, Have to go to town early and donate blood since I am one of the ones tha are not sick in town!

Have a GReAT one everybody!! I will try to get back on later today if my ds does not have tons of homework for me to over see!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 13:26

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

thank you... have to borrow muffin tin lol
unity
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/280/212 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress:

Well I never thought anyone was ignoring me. But thank you all for letting me know that you didn't. I hadn't thought of the page two deal, I just thought that maybe there was a cutoff time or something I missed.

I have realized know that eating is something I do for entertainment. Like when I used to smoke, or do drugs. Funny how one habit can take the place of another, I had never realized this before.

Well I have not caved in but I think my carbs were higher than they should have been yesterday. One of my problems is that I have a huge appetite and find it difficult to eat just a little something. Boy are we having an artic storm here in Portland Oregon today. So I will probably drink lots of hot tea, and water.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 15:13

BF:

Unity, you don't need to borrow a muffin tin. A lot of people make this either in a bread pan (so you have a loaf -- you just need to bake it longer) or in a sheet-cake pan (13 x 9).

Keith, why don't you post a day or two of menus? Rob, in particular, might be able to help you.

Rob, where are you? We need you!

#11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 15:21

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Unhappy

Quote:
Boy are we having an artic storm here in Portland Oregon today. So I will probably drink lots of hot tea, and water.

yah I live north by the ca border.it is a very warm 22 before wind, it has been like 5 or 6...lots of frozen pipes...
time to eat lunch bye all
Unity
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 15:52

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Keith - It is funny, DH & I were having a discussion on food issues last night. DH says he eats because he is bored.....or I guess like you say for entertainment I eat because I just plain LOVE food! I like to eat.....I also have no other vices as I have given up cigerettes, alcohol and illegal drugs

Bawdy - I don't use protein powder in my Dobie muffins, I use wheat protein isolate. Your sound good....I was thinking about making it in a loaf pan but not sure how to adjust the baking time. Any suggestions?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:07

BF:

Ellie, just bake it longer. Stick a toothpick in at the end of the regular time, and then judge. If it's really sticky, leave it in for 10 or 15 minutes longer and then re-check. Trial and error. You might also need to turn down the oven setting a bit, or maybe lay a sheet of tin foil over it so it doesn't over-brown.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:48

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Keith, I know that sometimes when the weather is bad is when I REALLY want to eat everything in sight! Have you tried the yerba mate tea? not only is it nutritious it has helped curb my appetite, ( and belive me, I HAVE ONE!!) Heck I could out eat my dh ANY day! Well that was before I started this woe that is! Also I keep a liter bottle with me all the time, if you are hydrated you will not feel as hungry until you actually need food!

Unity, good luck making the muffins/bread! This cold spell is getting pretty widespread, today we atleast got to 0*!

Ellie, I think that some of my problem is emotional, but sometimes the food tastes so darn good that it is hard to stop! My dh has said that he just enjoys food to! I know that during calveing season when a good night's sleep is non exisistant for 3 months that I will find myself eating to stay awake. I have often told my dh that it is to bad that we HAD to eat, smokers and drinkers just know that they can't partake, eating is SO much more complicated!

Wendy, So how was day #2?? Did the first day back go well for your dbf too???
How is the eating going?? Are you doing the protein today??

Elaine, It is ridiculous how expensive the lc products are, I for one am going to try to just have a few items around so I will not be tempted on having to many frankens, I do not consider the carb coundown milk one, so I am going to continue with the chocolate!

Renee, A big HELLO in case you get a chance to peek in, any word on how your step daughter is doing???

Bawdy, how has MS. Flex been doing with her new toy??? Now before any of you get the wrong idea Bawdy is now the proud owner of a bow flex!!
Do we need to send an apb out on our Yeti?????

A welcome to our newest person, Bluegirl!!

Have a good one!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 17:12

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Lissette, the Fitday software actually has hunting and fishing activities listed!!!!