Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How often do you cheat?
Never 251 29.53%
Once a day 49 5.76%
More than once a day 21 2.47%
Once per week 300 35.29%
Once per month 229 26.94%
Voters: 850. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I hope I can get to the no cheating stage - I'm having real trouble with sweets - I just need something to take that "band-aid" taste out of my mouth - I've practically O.D.'ed on jello - so I'm desperate for something else - fast, cheap and convenient! Any suggestions out there? I ned to browse the low carb menu at the top of these pages for new recipes!

charyl
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 16:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

When my sweet tooth cravings are getting the better of me, I head for the store and get some CarboLite or Pure DeLite chocolate...both are very good and do a great job of satisfying that craving for something sweet. Both are very low in carbs too! If I feel like baking, sometimes I'll make a low carb cheesecake.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 20:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Lisa - nice to see you here!

V.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I've only been doing this WOL for a week now and i havent cheated any but ask me after Thanksgiving..lol
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 05:07

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

I went through a long period early on, when I would plan a reward, look forward to it, to really build up the anticipation and when the time came, I would think "Crap. I'm doing so well. How badly do I really WANT this reward? 9 time out of 10 I would decide to postpone my reward to the next *reward level* (I was one to set mini goals).

And it NEVER failed the morning of my long planned reward, I would whoosh down another pound. What a motivator to stay on track and hope the woosh continued!

And when it came time for traditional celebration meals, I was so well *trained* that I would take only small portions (if any) of the higher carb choices, and have seconds of all the legal stuff.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 06:16

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

This thread keeps popping up so I guess its my turn....LOL

I don't see me as cheating. As LC has said, its not cheating as so much as wanting something and planning for it. I don't eat many carbs, but if I fancy (especially around holiday times) a spoonful of mashed potatoes, then I will go for it. I find I don't go for it that often as I don't always fancy it...LOL

My issue has always been chocolate, and still is. When I eat a piece or two, I know what I'm doing and don't worry about it. If one must have something I am a true believer of having it, getting it over with and carrying on! I think this allows one to not binge.

My 2 cents worth!
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 08:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default Help!

Lisa: great suggestions to help my sweet tooth - where, in the market, do I find these items - are they candy or baking items?
I'm talking about CarboLite or Pure DeLite Chocolate.

Thanks, charyl
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:20

BF:

Hi Charyl!

I should have posted that information the first time! Both CarboLite and Pure DeLite are chocolate bars. They're not what I would consider cheap ($1.50-$3.00 per bar), but I consider it less "expensive" than binging on the real thing. I know that Walgreens and 7-11 stores carry the CarboLite, but I've only been able to find the Pure DeLite at my local health food store. CarboLite also has a website: www.morico.com. I'm not sure if PureDeLite has a website, but you can always search the web. Pure DeLite makes a cappucino truffle that is awesome and costs about 70 cents a piece. Satisfy that sweet tooth...just do it with legal stuff!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:57
Registered Member

BF:
Cool Thanks!

Lisa: I'm walking (running) out the door right now to my local 7-11 store! I can't wait, mouth is watering - although I must make myself go slow - cuz I know I can overdose on this in no time at all.

thanks for the information.

charyl
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Other Sweets

I had not heard of either of these, so I am pleased to have the information. I will keep an eye out for them. I am not sure I understand how they are legal chocolate bars - do they have just a small number of carbs no carbs
I search the diabetic sections of grocery stores looking for sweets that I can enjoy - have found some really nice no sugar added fruit flavored hard candy that I really like.
Also, there is a chocolatier in Victoria, Purdy's, that sells no sugar added chocolate truffles - they have about 4 grams of carb per chocolate (they are fairly large), according to their consumer information, but they are great. I allow myself just one or two as a treat everyonce in a while
Got to have small treats every now & then.
Cheers
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 17:27

BF:

The Pure DeLite and CarboLite chocolate bars are 2 grams of carb or less each and come in several flavors. They are low carb because they are sweetened with Maltitol instead of sugar. Maltitol is not digestible by the body and counts as fiber instead of carbs. It also has very little, if any, effect on blood sugar or insulin production. A word of caution, though. Some people have reported gastrointestinal distress after consuming Maltitol, so it's best to start with a small serving and see how you react to it. I don't have a problem, but I've heard of people who were miserable if they ate an entire bar at one sitting. The distress usually consists of gas and bloating, but could also include diarrhea and only a small number of people seem to experience any problem at all. Watch out for "sugar free" candies. They are often sweetened with fructose or sucrose (which is why they can call them "sugar free") but can contain large amounts of carbs...always read the labels!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 17:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is entirely a YMMV kind of thing. Sugar addicts may completely go off the deep end with stuff like this and they are a known staller for some people. Read about it here:

Sugar Alcohols

Karen
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default Warning

Thanks very much for this heads up on the possible effects of these sugar alcohols.
I , for one, will not touch these products now that I know the potential for gastro intestinal impact - as someone who has struggled with colitis (a digestive disease) since I was 18 years old, and has seen my symptoms completely disappear since going on a LC diet, I will not eat anything that might impact the fragile balance in my gut
This was a very important notice for me
Cheers
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 15:32

BF:

Pat...just curious...what are the chocolate truffles that you buy from the chocolatier sweetened with? If you haven't had any problems with them, then similar products sweetened with the same ingredient should be okay for you.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sweetner

Good question, and I don't know the answer for sure. I seem to think that it is fructose, and I did ask the first time I bought them. I am travelling now and not in Victoria so I cannot call or check. I will check when I get home in two weeks and see what they use.
Thanks for the question
Cheers