Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 06:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%
Default Protein Power Pals..Wednsday, November 26

Good Morning!!
Well It's "pre-Turkey Day" here in the US....
Time for one of my favorite holiday traditions......looking at a supermarket parking lot & LMAO at all the frantic last minute shoppers!!!!!!
Back a little later!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 06:52

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Good morning everyone! Just wanted to check in to let you all know that I am still alive, but been really busy. Weight is holding at 149.5, consuming 1450 calories right now. It's 8 am and I only got 5 hours of sleep last night. Went to see Cat in the Hat and then rented Identity with guy from work and stayed up to the wee hours of the morning talking. I love having days off. I love my life right now. I gotta go now, though, to get my haircut. Tomorrow I'm driving up with the family 4.5 hours to Lansing, MI, eating turkey dinner, and driving 4.5 hours back. I hope you all have a fabulous Thanksgiving, whether it be a decadent low-carb feast or an all-out "indulgence." Have a great day!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

G'morning everyone

Day off work and I get to go Christmas shopping!! I have barely started, and the next few weeks will be busy....so I hope to get most of it done today!!

Have a good day all!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Ok, SOME of us are working but I am off Friday so makes for a nice weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and Happy Weekend to everyone else where they don't celebrate it.

Wendy, question for when you get back-how to stay full on a half cup of cottage cheese and a couple berries? I was hungry 2 hrs later.

Yeah, Rob, did my Turkey shopping Monday evening and just picked up some oranges yesterday to make cranberry orange relish (LC recipe).

I did get in a 30 min WATP tape last evening. Took a lot out of me, I am still not 100 % from the sinus thing.

Orang, how are you? How are you going to do turkey day? I heard on CNBC that someone has actually made a soda that is supposed to taste like turkey with gravy. Maybe your DH could find this . Have someone cook some of the stuff and freeze it for you, then you can have it when you are better Anyway, were glad that you are healthier this Turkey Week and send hugs
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:31

Stats: 230/200/175 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Stupid scale is toying with me...last 2 mornings it's decided that 200.0 is a nice weight to show me. Grrr...

Silly scale. (Yes, it is in fact all the scale's fault )
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:35

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am off today too (Sorry Elaine) but will be busy. I will be one of those people that Rob mentioned as I have to run to the store My neighbor came through fine and we are hoping she will come home today. DD is sick Thought she was having a bad migrane, nothing I gave her worked. She tried school and I got a call from the Nurse at 1:30. I took her home and put her to bed and started realizing that it wasn't just a headache. She had chills so I took her temp and it was 102. Called the doc and they put her antibodics. Poor baby, not sure if it is the flu or something else.

My Thanksgiving plan is to try to stay as legal as possible. My MIL is sending us a sweet potato pie and cornbread dressing Just one bite each so I can tell her it was good and mean it. She knows I am LCing so it is mainly for DH. I am making a LC blueberry coffee cake for me. I made it for Easter and it was unbelievable! I will probably make another loaf of Pumpkin bread too. I have really been enjoying that! I have a slice with butter every morning with my coffee.

Orang - Everytime I say that DD's meds are working she has a headache that won't respond to anything, this time not even Vicodin. Atleast it is more than just a headache, maybe that is why.

Wendy - Have a safe trip! Sounds like you and your guy friend are really hitting it off!! I am so excited for you!! So romantic!

Bawdy - If you only have 3 grey hairs consider yourself lucky! At 40, I have been washing the grey out for some time. I changed the color of my hair all together a few years ago, started out as an accident but really liked it! My hair is naturally dark brown and now it is a light golden color. I splurged last month and had blond highlights put in when I did my touch up and I LOVE IT!!! DH really loved it too. I am not going quietly either! I also have very stylish glasses that one would never know was a bifocal .

I have got to run and get to the store before it gets too crazy. I only need a few things, meds for DD and a few things for my neighbor so she has some food in the house.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:05
Contributing Member

Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%

Hello all, I have been lurking and decided to join in. I am ready for Thanksgiving dinner, went shopping early. Most of the major markets on my side of the world are on strike so we had to find a market not on strike. (won't cross the picket line). Just getting back on the LC band wagon again, it works when worked.

I just received 5 low carb cook books in the mail last night and I am pouring over them to make our dinner LC and delicioussss. Dr. Eades have a great cookbook out "The low-carb comfort food cookbook". I am going to try out some great recipe ideas today. I am off work and going to relax today, with the exception of teacher conferences this afternoon. I am off for a glorious 5 days.

Have a happy gobble gobble day if I don't get on tomorrow.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:35

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I guess I'll be having Whey Powder with olive oil and electrolyte supplement for Thanksgiving dinner - some of my step-kids are bringing over dinner for their Dad

I get to see two babies I haven't met yet - children of a step-granddaughter we lost to a divorce - she called a few weeks ago and asked to come here - she still considers us to be her grandparents and wants us to be part of her children's lives. Both of her parents died before she was ten and her step-father raised her. He passed on last spring so she is pretty much without a family - I'm glad she is returning to us - I've missed her.

Bawdy
Hope you are feeling better today.

I'll trade hair with you - mine's about half gray - I use a honey blonde temp tint on it - looks like I've had a really good highlight / frost done.

Wendy
Praying for safe travel for you. Echoing the sentiments re: your new friend - you're special and you deserve someone special.

Ellie
Thanks for letting us know the neighbor is OK - I've been praying for her (and you). Sounds like I'd best add DD to the list - hope the antibiotics knock this out soon.

Elaine
How are you feeling? Glad you were able to exercise

How's the slow change to a new form of this WOE going?

Marnie:
Hope you can check in again soon - wonderful news re: you and your son.

Dreamer:
Welcome to the thread - Sorry to hear about the grocers being on strike - sounds like you'll have 5 days to try out recipes in the new cookbooks - share the successes with us. So glad you've come out of the shadows

Rob
I heard the Yeti was taken captive by a frantic shopper in the parking lot at Wally-World after they sold out of turkeys... seems he was laughing so hard he couldn't out run her.

I've heard yeti tastes a lot like chicken

Robin:
Sounds like you need to have a high protein afternoon snack. Sounds like you'll have plenty of ham around soon

Re: hubby - it took mine about 3 - 4 months to realize I was serious about this being a WOE instead of a diet... give your honey some time.

One Eye (Rebecca)
Sounds like you are feeling better -
It is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the scale's fault --- I think you should not speak to it for about a week and see if that changes its mind.

Kristine
We haven't seen you in a while - hope the 'puter isn't sick again....
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:56

BF:
Progress:

Just got word that they are letting Ione (my neighbor, thought I would give her a name) out of the hospital today. She has spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with us for 6 years now, wouldn't be the same with out her

The store wasn't too bad. We get alot of winter visitors (snow birds) here that more than double our population from Oct-Mar. Going to the store or anywhere else for that matter becomes very tidious on a good day much less a holiday. Fortunately, most of them are intimidated by the self check area so I was in and out in a flash

Welcome Dreamer Sounds like you have a good handle on Thanksgiving. I am also enjoying 5 days off. Can't wait to put up the tree and the front yard

Orang - Thanks for the prayers How long until you can eat real food?

Rebecca - Almost forgot to Congradulate you!!!! WTG!!!

I must start on the non LC desserts
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:21

BF:

Welcome Dreamer

Orang, I've not really started Wendy's WOE , I've been trying out a few things to see how I would feel on it. The cc and berries left me kind of hungry sooner than when I eat eggs and a piece of lc bread. Since I will be having some T-day stuff tomorrow, I thought I'd just watch what I have tomorrow (I am making some lower carb options for myself-cranberry relish, yams with pumkin,etc)and then start tweaking the WOE on Friday. I've been basically eating my current WOE, salads with turkey ham and a little cheese for lunch, some yogurt and strawberries, a protein shake here and there, etc.I think I would have a problem with all the nuts that she was eating-not that they bother me but having them in the house would make me pig out. I can do a half a bag of macadamias without breaking a sweat. So I will be doing some 'trying out' of the things that Wendy and Bawdy are doing. At least the exercise is back in the picture.

Rebecca, scales were invented by men. They lose easier.

Ellie, sorry DD is not feeling great, but glad your neighbor is coming out of the hospital. When you get a chance next week, would you post a few of those recipes, they sound pretty good-LC blueberry cake, etc.

Hi Robin, have a good one!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 12:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yes, some of us ARE working today and don't have time to read all these wonderful posts. Just a couple notes and then I have to sign off until tonight.

Robin, you posted last night at the end of yesterday's thread and thought that no one would see your post. I don't know about anyone else, but I always check the posts from the day before to ensure I don't miss anything.

Orang, I would like to have seen the picture of the gray-haired bawdy wench! Guess I'll have to settle for the "Yeti a la cart."

Dreamer, I have a bunch of LC cookbooks, too, including the Eades' Comfort Foods and Dana Carpender's LC recipes. I look forward to trading recipes and tips with you. I haven't tried too many recipes, but have definite opinions of those I have tried. Stay away from Dana's Heroin Wings. Some people love them; I thought they were the worst things I've ever tasted.

It will be just DH and I for Thanksgiving dinner, and I decided to get a smaller turkey this year -- 20 pounds. I usually make a 25-pounder. Love that turkey! I freeze a lot, and it reheats well. And, with all the protein I've been eating lately, it probably won't last too long!

Gobble, gobble!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 12:06

BF:
Progress:

Here is the Coffee Cake recipe :

Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup splenda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
cut into sm chilled pieces
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 lg egg
Cooking spray
3 oz cream cheese -- 90gr softened
2 tbsp splenda
1 lg egg white
1/3 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries-I used sf jam..apricot or whatever...
2 tbsp sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°F-180°C. Combine nuts, 1/3 cup splenda, and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2 cup nut mixture for topping; set aside. Combine remaining nut mixture, baking powder, and baking soda, and add sour cream, heavy cream, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch 230mm round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons splenda, and egg white; beat at medium speed until blended. Spread evenly over batter. Top with raspberries. Combine the reserved 1/2 cup nut mixture and almonds. Sprinkle crumb mixture over raspberries. Bake at 350°F-180°C for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool on a wire rack.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 245 Calories; 23g Fat (80.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 60mg Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 13:21

BF:

Thanks Ellie!! I might make that over the weekend since it looks like I have all the ingredients in the house. Can you freeze it? I'll want to, since I am trying to rein in a little after tomorrow.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 14:08

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Can't have Bawdy wanting to see a pic so...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 14:28

BF:
Progress:

Elaine - I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. Nothing in it that wouldn't freeze well.