Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 04:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%
Default Protein Power Pals--Thurs, Nov. 20

Morning! Don't have much time to write as I slept in a bit more than usual b/c I was up till almost 1 am b/c I was over at that guy's house from school But just had to share that the scale this morning said 150.0!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 07:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning.

This sounds like an AA meeting or something, but today I turn 55 and am fat(well at least fatter than I want or need to be). I do not want to be 56 next year and still fat. My immediate goal is to recommit. I am not thinking past that right now. I start now.

Wendy-goody!!!

Orang, how are you today?What do they want you to do or not do today before surgery tomorrow?

Hi Bawdy, Marnie, Lissette, Ellie, Rob!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 07:49

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Only have a second.

WAY TO GO, Wendy! I'm getting pretty darn jealous! I did a protein day yesterday (three regular "meals" rather than six little ones, though). Today will be about the same. I'll be going to the grocery store later this afternoon, and plan on getting some fruit. Still keeping the calories around 1100, except for Tuesday, when I had pizza and beer and popcorn.

Elaine, just take it one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up over yesterday, and tomorrow is too far away to worry about now. Just concentrate on today. Remember the other day when you said you had pizza and I said that treats like this are never as good as you think they're going to be? I had given myself permission to have the pizza and beer and popcorn on Tuesday. And guess what. The pizza was lousy, the beer (Mic Ultra) was just ok, and the popcorn was good at first, but I woke up with heartburn in the middle of the night. Definitely not worth it.

Now I'm back to my plan and don't plan on any indulgences for a while. We'll be home for Thanksgiving, so I can control what temptations surround me.

See ya!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:13

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Happy Birthday

Elaine

The whole gang is here to help you celebrate - except Rob - and where is the cake (LC, of course)?

Where in the heck is Rob???? Well, click the link below to to see Elaine's birthday cake while we're waiting on Rob to show up.

Elaine's birthday cake

Last edited by Orang : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 08:25.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:17

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh My GOSH Orang, I am laughing so hard right now I can barely type! You are always out-doing your self! You always try to be positive and find the humor in every situation! That is what will help you through this Friday! (also with alot of prayers and thoughts from us!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Elaine!! Like BW said, don't beat your self up, just start over and keep moving! I have been in such a stall, or like BW said (maintence) mode for awhile, I am just now getting a second wind so to speak, you will too, Cravings can be the pits, I have major trouble with the sweets, yesterday I did a protein day and had to have a small sip of an atkins shake, and it was ONLY 1 sip!HA I am (or must be) conditioned to have a sweet during the day, today I am doing the low calories and carb and fat, I had some flax hot cereal with one packet of splenda,hopefully that will fix my sweet tooth
Since I will not have anything else like that today! And don't forget we are here for you!!!!

Bw, How much is your fat intake on the low fat days?? I am glad to hear that the pizza/beer combo was not the end all, I Love pizza, but have not had any since May ( I ate the top off one), it is good to know that it really isn't worth it!! I have been faithfull to my treadmill now, and I tried out your just 5 minutes and see how you feel theory, IT WORKS!!! Yesterday I was very tired and did not want to run, I went on for 5 minutes and it turned into a 35 minute work-out!

Yesterday I was feeling really blue, If any of you have had a pet/pets for a long time (13-14 years) and you know lose them you will know how I felt! I know this sounds crazy, but I had 2 pet cows, more then just the normal tame ones, Blackie I have had her around for 14 years, she was MY COW, And Beth and sweet and gentle pet of mine also (13) Well they miscarried and are to old to keep around to breed for next year (can't afford to keep them!) So yesterday was the day to go to the sale barn, I feed them their last bit of cake and add insult to injury I had to be the one to take them ther!! I will miss seeing them every day and having them come up and budge me wanting cake!
Thanks for letting me vent here!!

Wendy, That is great to hear about your continued loss! You keep on rolling girL

A Big HI to Ellie,Majorie,Robin, and the cheese cake opps birthday cake person,. ROB!!HA
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:45

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Elaine

HAVING MAJOR IMAGE ISSUES!!! IF YOU CANT SEE THIS IT SAYS HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Now Elaine, you are being very hard on yourself. We are all human and we all stray. Time to dust off and start over. You can do this, we just need to find a regimine that will work for you.

Sorry I have been MIA, DH has been working at home so my computer time has been limited to checking my email I have also been caring for my neighbor accross the street. She is alone and has no family. She hasn't been well and had a mild heart attack yesterday. She has appointed me her health care agent and I am taking care of things for her while she is in the hospital. I have been eating ok and did make it to the gym yesterday for a quick workout before going to the hospital. I will try to catch up soon

WTG WENDY!!!!

Last edited by Chamellie : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 10:55.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:54

BF:

Hmmm.... an AA meeting - I'll feel right at home

Hi, I'm Renee and I'm fatter than I care to be. Group responds with "Hi Renee"

When I'm at a real AA meeting and say "I'm Renee and I'm an alcoholic" it serves to remind me of where I came from and what goals I have for my life. Members are encouraged to make a commitment each and every morning not to drink just for that day - perhaps making a morning commitment to eat clean just for today would help you get back on track. BTW, its the same commitment every day for everybody - whether they walked in yesterday, have been there 40 years or they've been around a while and fell off the wagon yesterday.

The important thing isn't that I'm an alcoholic or I'm fatter than I wish to be - the important thing is that I am staying sober by taking the steps necessary to maintain my sobriety and taking the step necessary to have the body I want to have - you are also on that path.

As Bawdy said "Don't beat yourself up over yesterday, and tomorrow is too far away to worry about now. Just concentrate on today." AA has a saying to help us remember this concept - if you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you're p!ssing on today.

A second AA saying: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The past is gone and we can't change it. The only good thing that can come from looking back is to figure out what has and has not worked in the past. Beating yourself up only makes learning from past experiences with not-great outcomes harder. The only way to make tomorrow different is do something different today to help make tomorrow better. A little tough love here -
Get off your and look at what you can eat today that will make your goal of not celebrating your next birthday saying "I'm fatter than I want to be" a reality.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:05

BF:

Orang, thanks for the tough love and OMG, that birthday cake!!!
"AA has a saying to help us remember this concept - if you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you're p!ssing on today. "-that's one I hadn't heard

Oh, Lissette, the cows! I always wondered if farmers really got attached to all their animals. I would think it's the same as having a cat or dog, and I still miss my dog from years ago.

Thanks to everyone else for b'day wishes and hugs.Especially to Rob for volunteering to pop out of my cake

Ellie, you are nice to take care of your neighbor.

Works really busy so I may not get a chance to read everything else today until this evening.
Later, you crazy bunch!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:18

BF:

Marnie,

Harvard Beets

For each can of sliced beets (or about 250 cc of cooked beets):
1/4 cup or 60 cc of vinegar (less if you don't like them tart)
a sugar substitute equal to sweetening of about 1/4 cup (60 cc) sugar
About a TBS (30 cc) butter

Drain the liquid off the beets but retain the liquid. Put the beets in a pan and add vinegar and sweetner. Pour enough of the liquid over the beets to barely cover them. Stir well and simmer uncovered until liquid is cooked down to about 1/2 volume (about 15 minutes) Stir several times while cooking. Add butter and stir before serving.

Spinach Salad

I make this a lot of different ways. This is the basic recipe:

10 oz bag of raw spinach leaves
about 4 ozs (120 cc) of shredded cheddar cheese or 2 ozs of cheddar and 2 oz of Parmesan
1 chopped onion or 2 tbs (60 cc) dry onion flakes (make at least an 15 minutes ahead of time if you use the dry flakes)
On the amount of mayo - I put in about 4 tbs (120 cc) and start stirring - and add more if needed. You can substitute french onion dip for about 1/2 of the mayo if you want a less fatty salad. You can also add a few drops of water to make the mayo spread better to cut the calories / fat

Diced ham makes a really nice addition to this - sometimes I add enough to make the salad my entree.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:08

BF:

Here is Ellie's uncooperative graphic :

#11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

MMmmmmmmmm. The cake looks delish! How soon do I have to get my order in for my next birthday?

Elaine, have a wonderful day today. This is your day and you should celebrate it. Listen to "O Wise One" (Renee). Those are very good truths.

Lissette, so sorry to hear about your cows. Just because they're cows and not "regular" pets doesn't mean you can't form strong bonds. Animals can become so much a part of our lives. When I had to leave Shelby (my dog) at day care the first time (a 4-hour trial stay), and then go back home, the house seemed so empty. It's ok to grieve.

You asked about my fat intake. As I remember, it's been about equal percentages of protein and fat, and about 8% carbs, and 1100 calories. Check back in my fitday journal, if you like. I haven't entered anything for a while, so you might have to go more than a week back. I've been so busy lately, I haven't had time to post here (my first priority), post in fitday, post in my journal, and post to other threads of interest.

Glad my "5 minute" idea is catching on.

Renee, how did you get so wise?

Elaine, it's good of you to help your neighbor. It's good to know there are people in the world who still care for others.

And what about that Michael Jackson! What parent in their right mind would allow their child to spend any time at all with him, let alone spend the night???????
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:24

BF:

Shelly
I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to sell your cows after so many years.

These are for you in hopes they will help brighten your day a bit.

Last edited by Orang : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 12:32.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:30

BF:

Bawdy, I think it was Ellie who was helping her neighbor, although I have helped mine too from time to time .(Since they don't have a computer at home, sometimes I go online to do their unemployment claim for the one sister who is disabled.)

But thank you for the birthday words.
I didn't know too much about LFL so I snuck back onto the darkside (old forum) and read a sticky.I know.... It's helping to get an idea of what you and Wendy and Lissette are on about each day. I don't think I could do a protein only day without any carbs because of the thyroid thing(need min 60 a day). Wendy, any thoughts? Do I just try to do the weight loss part?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:09

BF:

Ellie:
Really nice that you are helping your neighbor.

A while back you were looking for an unflavored protein powder - I found one mentioned on another board -
Quote:
Bioplex Nutrition's Pure WPI, which is pure Whey Protein Isolate. Their natural version has zero carbs (most whey has some carbs), and no sweeteners or flavors added.

No mention of where you buy it, but know you are internet suavy enough to found a source. I'd look it up but I'm a little busy tying up loose ends.

Now about me

The surgery is on for tomorrow morning at 6AM.

I had my last solid food around 10 AM - clear liquids are OK until 6 PM and then nothing -- ignore that growling noise - it's my stomach .

Somebody - whoever computer literate is here at the house - probably a grandchild who looks something like this - will post using my account tomorrow after I'm out of surgery to let y'all know I'm OK - I get to come home around 8 PM tomorrow night if everything is going well -- I'm kind of glad, I never get any sleep at that hospital because it is a regional trauma center - helicopters are coming and going all the time.

Hope to be able to post by Saturday.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:50

BF:

Renee....
tomorrow, we will all be thinking of you.

Ellie, here's a couple links for the protein powder
http://bioplexnutrition.com/
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/45601
and thanks for the Happy Birthday graphic

Last edited by ewinpa : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 13:52.