Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 03:23

Plan: Schwarzebein
Stats: 140/137/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default A few question..

Greetings to all

I am new and first of all I want to thank all of you for this board. I've been reading it for the past few weeks and things that you all have said come back to me as I move forward in this process. What I can't understand one day, often becomes perfectly clear a week later. This is my first 'discussion board' experience and I am amazed at all the warmth and support that is out there. So again, thanks.

I started the SP in August. I'm having quite a hard reaction, even though I continue to be very motivated because intuitively and logically I know that the things she talks about are all my story. I've always been controlled by sugar habits and even as a child ate very poorly. I think I've been paying for that for the last 30 years (I'm now 51) with a long list of strange, mysterious 'illnesses' (the kind that I now know are really all expressions of poor nutrition/too much sugar).

I'm trying to understand my difficult reaction. First of all, I really got whammed with a collapse of energy. ITs taken me almost all these last 3 months to stabilize into some kind of management of life with no energy. Just as she says it in her second book: I get a little better, spend that energy, then land myself back to worse than before. However, my 'normal' lifesyle wasn't even all that active -- I teach meditation and spend most of my time sitting; its been quite a quiet, sedentary kind of life. Yet, I've had to cut my daily routine down to 1/3 what I usually do. I even have to (often) get other people to cook for me. OTherwise, the minute I increase the 1/3 rate, I'm back to being flat on my back. Moving around does that, but even talking drains me. IT's all gotten a little better, but so little, I wonder: is this normal? How long will it last? Am I supposed to be doing something else too? She speaks of 'one year' recovery time. Is that what I'm starting?

A few more questions:
Just before I started the SP, I was travelling, eating great food and suddenly found that I had gained 10 lbs in 3 weeks. This was startling as I've never gained like that before. Since SP, it stays about the same, sometimes a few pounds lower, then back a little higher, though overal you could say that it is very slowly heading downwards. The problem is that I am spreading. Thats the only word for it. Weight does not increase but inches are incredable. The thighs hardly allow me to sit comfortably, my stomach folds in 2 places and gets in my way, arms have become very thick. In the space of three months my whole body is becoming foreign and fully uncomfortable to me. Is this ok? I'm not in this for the weight thing, more for just being healthy, but this extra mass is very strange, to say the least.

Hair loss is huge. And more peculiarily, I've lost 2/3 of my eyebrows, with the last third beginning to fall out fast, too.

Some background details: By now I'm pretty sure that my 'type' is: on my way to being insulin resistent, with fully, totally burned out adrenals. After months of research (and all the posts here have helped me in this a lot) I suspect there is every other kind of complication: thyroid deficiency, menopause imbalances, and the effects of rampant, chronic candida. I'm not currently living in the States, and access to the right tests aren't easy, but I've started that process now and should get some results within a few days.

In the meantime, I'm doing 3 meals at 20 carbs/15 protein, and 2 snacks at 15 carbs and 7 proteins. I am a full vegetarian (no fish, or eggs) and so at first I thought protein meant more cheese. And I ate lots of it. Now I've learned new ways to get good protein: nuts especially, beans, etc. (By the way, do you all know that there are 5g of protein in one cup of broccoli?) I've anyway always eaten a lot of tofu. I also take supplements for the adrenals: Co-Q10; a B complex; vitamins/mineral drink, tyrosine. I've also begun to understand the GI indexes and I've cut way down on the fruit, trying, also, to stick to those that are low on the index. Is this the way to go? It seems impossible to believe: overal going down on the scales (losing weight) but definitly gaining in mass. (None of my clothes fit anymore. I've never had this experience.)

On the up-side: all my sugar/carb craving stopped almost immediately starting the program. I found it easy, from the beginning, to follow the diet plan and I was and am thrilled that I am no longer controlled by food. That is so great -- its worth all the other things (assuming that I can get those 'other things' sorted out eventually!)

Anyone with any ideas on these things? I would be very happy to hear from you. Thank you so much, Meera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 15:27
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Meera, welcome to the SP forum!

There's tons of information in your post, so I'll get to what I can.

I can really relate to some of what you talk about, esp. the mysterious illnesses and fatigue and the poor eating habits (until a few years ago). It wasn't until I started seeing a holistic doctor that many of my problems were addressed. The nutritional component should never be underestimated.

When I went to my doctor, it was an effort just to talk I'd get so winded. I was very malnourished. I had been a vegetarian for 17 years and had been following a very low fat diet for 5 years. I had become failure to thrive, probably b/c I was an uniformed vegetarian. So while I'm sure you are probably more enlightened than I ever was, I just want to make sure you are eating enough protein according to Dr. S's recommendations in SPII.

On the other hand, the fatigue and mass gain could be just about anything, given your host of problems. Let us know what the results of your tests are. It's worth the cost for people with health problems. I was surprised when I got mine back.

Well, I realize that I haven't answered your questions, but I hated to see your post go unanswered. The losing while gaining mass seems strange. I wonder if it's a result of your other problems. It seems like you need to get the hormone issues under control first before the benefits of the program become apparent. Make sure you read what Dr. S. mentions about taking thyroid medications if you are going to be taking them.

I just realized I've rambled and not provided any information of use to you. I really hope you'll be able to sort out the hormonal problems. What a hard time you must be having. Hopefully someone else will be better able to help you. In the meantime, hang in there. You are on the right path to better health.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 05:01

BF:
Progress:

Dear Wanda

It is really so kind of you to answer my post. The great Wanda! I feel honored. REally!

As I read over what I wrote, with so many details of the mess, how could anyone give a response? But your post is very touching and I'm reminded how maybe the most important part of healing comes through the compassionate presence of others. You must be a great gift to the people around you, as I am sure are many of the people on this board, who reach out to others so genuinely.

By the way, add to the 'mess' of symptoms a dislocated knee -- an old problem that comes up every few years. It went out the other day and I am now in a caste. I mention this because i just know that this is all connected but try to convince a conventional dr. of that!

I am carrying on with the tests but it looks like its only complicating the picture. I think the best thing for me might just be to return to the STates for awhile, until I get my health under control a bit more. I keep feeling that I shouldn't need to depend on one Dr alone (I think I'd work directly with Dr. S) but no one out here knows anything about the SP (I checked this out with Dr.S's clinic)and so its hard to trust their advice.

It seems obvious as soon as you say it but I love the idea of a holistic doctor. Again, it will not be easy to find one here, especially one who would be affordable, but I like having a sense of direction.

FYI: I definitly was bringing zero enlightenment to my nutrition habits for all of my 20 years as a vegetarian. I'm sure I began vegetarianism fully malnourished and then simply carried on with the same song. I think thats why I feel so attracted to SP. She makes it all so clear, with nutrition as the bottom line logic. I really relate to that.

So now I'M rambling. Thanks again for your post. With best wishes,Meera
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:06

Plan: atkins, sommersize, schwarzbein
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm kinda new here, but your post caught my interest. If I were you I'd have your thyroid tested as soon as possible. And ask for a copy of your lab work, because sometimes thyroid labs show normal, but aren't necessarily "normal' for you. I had some of the same symptoms as you (hair loss, fatigue, weight gain,etc), and thyroid meds are definately helping, I feel like a new person. As for getting hormones balanced, I've yet been able to find a doctor who knows enough about them, even in US. It's such a difficult thing, but know that you are not alone. I mention bio-identical hormones or Schwarzbein and doctors just roll their eyes. I'm also wondering if I have candida, will probably ask for that test at my next dr visit. Sorry I wasn't able to help any better.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: Reduced carbs
Stats: 163/148/132 Female 160
BF:
Progress: 48%

I am new to this forum, too, but I have been reading the entries here for weeks and find a lot of them very helpful. I seem to have very similar problems to yours. I saw my doctor because of my fatigue, total loss of libido and weight gain and he did some blood tests which all came out normal, even the thyroid test. Because I have a history of depression, I was referred to a psychotherapist. I also started SP. Although my fatigue is virtually gone, I am not losing any weight. I haven't eaten meat for 14 years and due to a depressive illness I lost a lot of weight about 10 years ago. Since then I have had trouble eating enough food despite gaining 2 stone and I feel sick very quickly, mayby that's why I have trouble with SP...

So if it wasn't the thyroid, what else could it be? I think one of my sisters gave me the answer. Both my sisters have recently been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which can lead to massive weight gain and period problems. Both my sisters and I still have regular but heavy periods, so none of us thought we could have this because normally women with PCOS stop having their periods. Although I haven't been diagnosed with it, because I can't be bothered to go back to the doctor, only to be told, I am just stressed or depressed, etc, I have a strong feeling that I am going the same way. I definitely think that I am insulin resistant which is a cause of PCOS. The good news is that low carbing is the way to go to get the symptoms under control but weight loss can be very very slow. (There is a PCOS subforum here)

Without trying to give you another illness, have you got any other symptoms, e.g. having hair where you normally did not have any, skin or period problems? This is just one other avenue to explore, if your thyroid test comes back normal.

Good luck
Michaela
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 05:22

BF:
Progress:

Dear Cadillac
Thank you so much for your letter. It is very helpful, very encouraging. I really mean this, because I just got back some thyroid tests and although the numbers are high on the scale, I am being told that they are 'normal'. That would be as frustrating as you can imagine save for the fact that a few days ago I ended up in conversation with an MD who went alternative a few years ago and she was explaining to me that as far as thyroid problems go, often as not those numbers mean nothing. (She also looked at my tests and said that in her opinion my numbers were NOT normal; also that they didn't test enough things, that I really need more thorough testing if I want a conventional approach). So your letter confirms what I just heard for the first time a few days ago. Very encouraging.

I love how you said, 'you feel like a new person'. If that could happen to me right now.... well, I'd be willing to do just about anything for that. The issue now is: what thyroid meds to be taking? At what dosage? This same dr. suggested starting very low and monitering every 3 months. Is that what you do? (By the way, this dr. is not in this country. She is a friend of a friend who has agreed to talk me through some of this..)

Getting hormones balanced seems such a tricky, dreadful navigation through unknown waters -- I fear to begin. That is why I haven't up to now. However, I'm pretty sure that it is time to start at least becoming knowledgeable about it. Again, your email, for the sheer confirmation of my reluctance, is very supportive. Thank you so much for your response. Best wishes, Meera
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 06:00

BF:
Progress:

Dear Micha2

Thank you very much for your letter. As I was saying to 'Cadillac', my thyroid tests seem to be normal but for the moment, I'm probably going to keep on researching it. However, I read of your experience with a lot of interest. I never even heard of PCOS before.

Since July there have been massive skin problems (although by now its been cleared up, for the most part). My period has been irregular and very heavy since menopause began, about 2 years ago. And although I've always had some facial hair (upper lip, under chin) it is definitly true that that has increased a lot over the past year. I had put all these things down to menopause. But now I am going to read about PCOS. What do your sisters take/do for it?

I sympathize with your experience of that conventional Dr./patient syndrome where tests turn out normal and the Dr. packs you off to a therapist. I got so tired of hearing that, decades ago (not to mention of being so psysically sick, with no relief) that ultimately I have not worked with conventional medicine at all for the last 30 years. Alternative paths have provided lots of relief and knowledge for me up to now. Whats scary is the thought that to sort myself out now, in the state I've been in since July, I'll probably need to take up conventional medicine again. I comfort myself with the thought that Dr. Scharwzbein is conventional and yet she certainly is genuinely commited to restoring health. I'm sure there must be more like her out there (its just I haven't met them yet...?) On the humorous side :when I went to a homeopathic practitioner in July with my 'collapse' she listened to my symtoms and assured me (I guess its the 'alternative path' equivelent to telling you you need therapy) that my problem is due to some past life trauma. That is all fine and good but she suggested past life regression therapy.... and in any event, all her little bottles and pills so far haven't helped either. (I'm not knocking therapy by the way; I support it for what it is.)

So anyway, many thanks and best wishes to you for continued health and happiness, Meera
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 06:07

BF:

From what I've read in books, a "trial run" of thyroid meds is the way to go(if you have symptoms but normal labs), and like you said, start out low and work up until you feel good but not hyper. As for me, my 5th doctor (yes went through 5 of them...haha) found that my thyroid was enlarged, and prescribed synthroid to shrink it. I can tell almost immediately a difference (and can also tell if it's too high dose), but for many people it takes 6 weeks to notice a difference. Best wishes, post back and let us know how you're doing.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Reduced carbs
Stats: 163/148/132 Female 160
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Meera

I was wondering how you were doing?

In answer to your question, my sister don't take or do anything for it at the moment. They didn't even know that their condition can be helped by changing their eating habits. I have told them but so far they haven't. I guess it is up to them...

I have gained a pound which is really horrible because I have been so strict with myself. So I am going to order some saliva tests privately to find out which if any hormones are out of balance and then review the diet from there.

Best wishes
Michaela
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 12:15

BF:

Hi, thanks for asking, I'm doing pretty good. Feeling good healthwize with the thyroid meds. As for losing weight, I am staying the same...URGH!!
After 2 months away from the gym (frustrated with no results), I just went back 1 week ago. Just taking it slow, though.
I hear your frustration with gaining a pound, and being so strict! It certainly is discouraging! Hopefully you'll find something out with your saliva tests, as hormone imbalance can certainly be causing your weight gain, etc. Let us know how they come out! And I think I read in SPII book, often we gain weight first on the plan, until our bodies heal. Then we'll lose (but I know THAT's scarey to GAIN!!!). Hang in there!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:53

BF:
Progress:

Hi Michaela

I join 'Cadillac' in thanking you for your letter. Its very kind of you to ask.

In general, things are the same. I'm in the process of trying to see an endocrinologist who is reputed to specialize in hormonal/women's issues through a holistic (sort of) approach. The only problem: I can't get an appointment earlier than January 27. That seems like a long time to wait. OTherwise, I've had some interesting encounters with some conventional medical people, who have furthered my feeling that I can't self diagnose anymore, I definitly need some proper guidance, even though I still can't find someone who fits the bill. With my leg in a cast (I dislocated it awhile ago), my routine is cut down to even less than the one quarter I was worrying about before. Surprisingly, this is turning out to be a blessing of sorts. I'm really getting lots and lots of rest -- can't much move around as cast/crutches drain energy very fast -- and that probably is what I need the most. All this extra resting time is kind of a gift. I 'm using it as a chance to recharge my inner space, and its working. I'm more calm and I also feel happy. So thats good.

I must share this: I've stumbled across an amazing snack: mango/tofu/whipped cream/stevia.....ice cream. As soon as I can get downstairs to the kitchen again, I will note the proportions and share with you how to make it. Unbelievably delicious and...healthy??!!

All my best to you and everyone reading this, Meera
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 08:33

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

Meera, where did you find this ice cream? Sounds wonderful.

Have any of you heard about Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome? He has a website www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com. there is a lot of good information that makes perfect sense to me. When I get my saliva tests back I may start doing some of the things Wilson suggests. I need to focus on one thing at a time though. I get de-focused easily then get overwhelmed!

I self diagnosed that I was Insulin Resistent and Burned out Adrenal Glands. The first set of tests came back and I am Insulin Sensitive (I am glad of that). So the moral to the story is sometimes we do not know because we are not the experts. Since I increased my carbs to 20 I feel so much better. I have a ways to go but in retrospect I feel much better.

I also stopped taking Armour thyroid and switched to Synthroid. I think that has helped. I had read so much negative on stuff I asked my doctor if this could cause any problems and he said no. Then I went for my annual gyne appointment and she changed it and turned me on to Schwartzbein. I am so happy I found SPII and I am glad to have discoved this forum.

I am upset with the SPII website though. I think they plan to do a forum board but have not. Dr. S. is not taking new patients and has not trained any doctors yet on how to do this. She is in that process. I did email them with questions on mostly protein and they did respond. I was really surprised at that.

Hope this info helps. Take care.

Does anyone live in Phoenix or Arizona??? If so send me a private message as I would love to correspond with a local SPII advocate.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 19:20

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress:

msk,

Hi, I'm Katey and I live in the phoenix area. I can't seem to figure out how to pm you...but i was wondering what ob/gyn you went to for your annual exam that gave you info on Schwarzbein...

i will try the pm thing when i have a little more time. I've read both schwarzbein books, but am hardly an expert....

hope to hear from you..

katey
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 07:51

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default To Katie

Katie,

I tried to do the pm thing too. I added you to my buddy list thinking that would work but it doesn't.

Here is her info:

Eugenie Anderson
3411 N 5th Ave.
Ste. 207
Phoenix 85013

(602) 264-7630

She is hard to get in to see, but worth it. I have been going to this office for years but had never been able to see the Dr. She has at least 3 nurse practitioners working with her. They are good but she is the best. I only got to see her a couple of months ago because when I set up my annual exam I set it up months in advance. You could initially set something up with the NP to see how much they know about it. I am sure she has informed them and that they are familiar with it, but not as much as she is.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I wish I could figure out the pm thing. NOTE: If anyone can give me some info on how to do it please let me know. I do not want to post my email address on the forum.

MSK
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 08:38
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

You can't PM until you have something like 25 posts. You need to check to be sure. But that's why it didn't work. And don't put your e-mail on the forum. It will be removed. It is against the rules. Start a journal or get involved on a thread. Your posts will add up in no time. Look at mine!!

Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by m1whowaits : Wed, Dec-24-03 at 08:40.