Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 23:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Nevermind. Was looking at the thread and accidentally posted to it. Ignore me . . . .

But since I'm here. Good point about the exercise. That is something I find I am guilty of overlooking too. Adding a couple of brisk walks to your weekly routine can do wonders to get things moving-- it does not always have to be intense exercise. Sometimes just a little extra gets you going.

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sun, Nov-09-03 at 23:53.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 18:28

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Ok, what I did on Halloween didnt work , it didnt hurt either.
But this morning I woke up 2 lbs lighter.
Yesterday I went to work , skipped breakfast and ate pork rinds and an orange for a late lunch. Had no choice.
dinner: a low carb fajita
dessert: 6 chocolate chip cookies.

Coincidence ? I dont think so . I think the chocolate chip cookies made it happen.,but then again I might be back up tomorrow.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:27

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

How come everyone thinks of a refeed as a chance to pig out on disgusting things like sugary cereal and *ugh*... Coke!
Try some whole grain bread, better yet, oatmeal or brown rice. You will get the effects of the refeed without the headaches, tiredness and possible stomach ache.
Just my .02 cents
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 09:44

BF:

YukonSun-

I'd think I'd rather refeed on good carbs, I'm afraid of getting sick! But the whole point to an all-out refeed is to eat low fat but high GI carbs, The theory is that this is supposed to refill your leptin stores and get you moving again. The good carbs won't necessarily do that.

I know there is a lot more technical stuff about your liver and glycogen and such but I can't really explain it -- anyone else out there that can explain in a manner that makes sense?
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well guys, I low cal/low carbed my way down to 169 from 280, and now I think I need to start worrying about plateaus and stuff caused by that nasty bugger -- low leptin levels. We all know when fat stores get really "low" according to your body's twisted idea of what it's set point should be, it starts turning down the thermostat... t3 levels drop, hormone levels drop, leptin levels drop. All this equals increased hunger and stalled weight loss. Yep. *(&) damn set points!

I have increased the exercise to get things moving again, but if this is a real plateau I will try an "overfeed" of all sugar and adequate protein. Hopefully that should spark fatburning again.

You know, they say there is no use for leptin supplementation in the treatment of obesity, which is true, but really those of us who need to shed 35 and under pounds really could benefit from it! I wonder why they refuse to market it, as it seems to me the "vanity pound" market is very lucrative. I guess synthetic hormones cannot be legally marketed for the use of stripping vanity pounds .
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 13:36

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree about the set points being very annoying. It would be nice to get down to 160 but it just seems like it is never going to happen.

Avant Labs
Look for a product called Leptigen which will help increase Leptin levels. I would love to here about it if someone gives it a try.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 06:53

BF:

Itsthewooo, I seem to have been losing when I have a small cheat, upping like 15-30 carbs only. Look in my journal. I dont know if you already have small cheats now, but for me they work. At least it seems to work anyway. It could be coincidence.
The thought of eating all sugar all day kinda makes me sick. yickk. How long have you been stuck at 169?

Last edited by cincin11 : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 07:17.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 11:59

BF:

Well, I haven't had the guts or opportunity to refeed yet. I lost a couple then stayed for a couple of weeks. I'm doing my best at getting in my walking and such and plugging along as usual.

Something really interesting happened. On Friday I attended my company x-mas party. I ate LC all day and did very well. I was planning on having my fill of Lite beers though for the occasion. I'm not really a drinker and haven't really had much of any alcohol since last years party. I had 6 beers at 3.2 carbs each. Then the next day I was getting my little one some mini marshmallows and I just went off on them. I had about 1 cup -- I've never cheated before like that and it was quite unsettling! I handled my liquor quite well the night before which was surprising since I don't normally drink AND LC'ing lowers one's tolerance for alcohol. No hangover or anything. I have heard that alcohol makes you crave sweets and blamed it on that and moved on. I ate LC for the rest of the day.

Well, I wooshed this morning! 2 lbs! I NEVER loose more than one pound in a day. This quite unusual! I did glance at the bag of marshmallows when I was scarfing them like there is no tomorrow and noticed they would make a good refeed food. No fat and all sugar.

Even though this was far from a traditional refeed, I wonder if that cup of marshmallows did something? Don't know if the beer contributed either.

I'm not ready to refeed now but if I go another 3 weeks or so with nothing I'm definitely going to try it. I have a hunch this may have had to do with leptin. Am I nuts? What do you all think?
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 12:59

BF:

Congratulations. Look up above your post where I had the 6 cookies. I lost 2 lbs that night too.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%

Hello all - I was wondering how the refeeds are going? I've been stuck for months, and after trying everything else, I've come to the conclusion that 1100 cal/50% fat has killed my leptin levels. I've started forcing myself to eat more fat, but when I do that I can barely eat anything the next day. Well it's starting to work, I think.

So I'm wondering if adding carbs instead of fat once in a while wouldn't be a good move. Any advice?

Thanks.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:09

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 298/300/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Too much!
Progress: -1%

Hi all, I have a question. I'm definately interested in trying the refeed, but I thought I'd read that during Induction, only, is when our bodies tend to lose calcium. So if we, for instance, refeed once every 7 to 10 days, and restart Induction, won't we be loosing too much calcium? Does anyone know please? Thanks!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 05:51

BF:

I didn't do the refeed right, but I lost a couple lbs every month since,so I am not going to do it. I will just keep doing what I am doing. I am a little slow losing ,but I am losing . That's all that counts.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:15

BF:

I haven't tried yet either. But it is something I am keeping in my back pocket. I'll let you guys know if I try it though.