Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 18:16

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Did you read Freds comment on your link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Steve Phinney on low carb bicycling:

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011...than-high-carb/

Below Fred's comment
Quote:
Fred

December 29, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I’m familiar with Phinney’s work, mostly through this article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...27/?tool=pubmed

Much of what he talks about in your interview is also discussed in his paper but, in his paper, he referred specifically to athletes engaging in submaximal activty, around 70% and decidedly aerobic in nature. He also states in the paper that a low-carb diet would probaly not be appropriate for competitive athletes.

From your interview, his position appears to have shifted considerably to advocate a low-carb diet for all types of strenuous training, including training for maximal effort activities such as sprinting.

The paper I referenced is from 2004 and could most definitely be out of date if there is more current research from Dr Phinney on athletes engaged in maximal effort. The evidence he presents, on humans, however, seems to be more anecdotal,

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...t-for-athletes/
Quote:
STEVE PHINNEY REPLIES:For sprinting events, the effects of keto-adaptation are quite variable across athletes and specific events. One also needs to differentiate between the diet followed in training versus preparation for the event per se. There are some trainers who advocate ‘train low, perform high’, but I have not seen that supported by objective study.

The effects are quite variable: I agree

Last edited by joel381 : Wed, Apr-04-12 at 07:07. Reason: add Phinneys response to Fred
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 07:06

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

No, I hadn't seen Fred's comment (nor had I seen your comment to my first post when I posted my second, so please don't interpret my second comment as a "volley"). Did you see Steve Phinney's reply to Fred and Shelley's comments?

Perhaps Steve Phinney's tests do not exactly meet what you are trying to do, but you won't know if it will work for you till you give it a try. He does note that the tests were done after only 2 weeks of adaptation and the entire process can take up to 4-6 weeks.

Good luck!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 07:13

BF:

Quote:
No, I hadn't seen Fred's comment (nor had I seen your comment to my first post when I posted my second, so please don't interpret my second comment as a "volley"). Did you see Steve Phinney's reply to Fred and Shelley's comments?

Perhaps Steve Phinney's tests do not exactly meet what you are trying to do, but you won't know if it will work for you till you give it a try. He does note that the tests were done after only 2 weeks of adaptation and the entire process can take up to 4-6 weeks.

Good luck!

Thanks, yes I dd see that a long adaption period maybe required. I do feel that I am already adapted to a degree, maybe just not there yet will see down the road a bit. Another guy who worked with Phinney 'Peter Attia' on this adaption seems to be having good results as well. Will add a link later when I locate it.

http://waroninsulin.com/how-a-low-c...tic-performance

Peters results are interesting and this guy seems really putting some effort into it. He responds to a lot of questions on his site with " I'll respond to that in detail later" I'll wait on the detail, no hurry.

Last edited by joel381 : Wed, Apr-04-12 at 07:47. Reason: added Attia link
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 07:57

There's a new Attia post today - perhaps his insights will help you figure out how to approach things. He's really good about answering readers' questions too.

http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/w...-have-in-common
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
There's a new Attia post today - perhaps his insights will help you figure out how to approach things. He's really good about answering readers' questions too.

http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/w...-have-in-common

I look at Peter as a somewhat new arrival to low-carb time wise, yet a very informative one. He certainly is into it big time, on a mission you might say. I very much enjoy his insight and am thankful he goes to the effort to present it:

Peters comments in article

Quote:
You want to win the NCAA championship in the 200 yard freestyle? Ketosis is probably not for you. Sure you can (and should!) restrict sugar, but I think you’d be better off consuming, say, 40% of your calories from rice and non-wheat, non-sugar starches.
A little genetic ability would not hurt either

and

Quote:
So why am I in ketosis, even though I might “perform” better at some things if I ate carbohydrates? Because I’m a 39-year-old wannabe athlete whose athletic performance is irrelevant. Not a single person cares how fast I swim or ride my bike beyond myself. I have no sponsors. I will never earn a paycheck for how fast I can flip tires or climb Mount Palomar. I am more than willing to give up some athletic performance (e.g., sprint speed, peak power) in exchange for other athletic benefits (e.g., greater aerobic capacity and metabolic flexibility), especially when the real gain is greater health and a reduction in my risk for all diseases associated with metabolic syndrome (heart disease, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and others).

General long term health concerns are quite important. I have to deal with an Alzheimer’s parent it's not easy.

This guy is a very active individual BTW, which also interests me. Not really a couple sprints a week type of thing.

Thanks again
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 08:54

Yeah, Attia is pretty obsessed about his physical performance. Have you seen his tire flipping video?

His strength, I think, is balancing his activity within the context of a healthy life. Yes, you may be able to ride faster or longer with carbs, but is the trade-off worth it? Each person has to weigh all the factors and make his/her individual decision. Also, the balance may shift over time.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 08:58

Oh, one other book that might interest you if you've not yet seen it: the TNT Diet by Jeff Volek (New Atkins co-author) and Adam Someone from Men's Health Mag. The TNT Diet is fundamentally Atkins with 4 different modifications based on whether you are trying to lose weight and/or build muscle. A couple of the plans add carbs before and/or after workouts depending on your goals.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 03:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New book by Dr. Phinney & Volek, the The Art & Science of low Carbohydrate Performance may answer more specific questions: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Scien...e/dp/0983490716
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 18:44

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Oh, one other book that might interest you if you've not yet seen it: the TNT Diet by Jeff Volek (New Atkins co-author) and Adam Someone from Men's Health Mag. The TNT Diet is fundamentally Atkins with 4 different modifications based on whether you are trying to lose weight and/or build muscle. A couple of the plans add carbs before and/or after workouts depending on your goals.

This I need to look into. In 2 weeks my current competitive cycling/running season will end and with 40 only a couple of months away I have GOT to get my nagging 20-30#s to go away for good. I'd like to have most of it gone by Spring. It's going to be an interesting experiment to see what will work as I train this Winter for 2 half-marathons in April.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 20:27

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have to say that it took my body a very long time to adjust to LC at age 48. My "low carb flu" symptoms went on for months, I was dizzy for a long time, I think my brain was learning to burn ketones. Once I adapted, I loved it! I can go for long rides without having to pack a bunch of food or stop to eat. It's so convenient.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 00:02

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
I have to say that it took my body a very long time to adjust to LC at age 48. My "low carb flu" symptoms went on for months, I was dizzy for a long time, I think my brain was learning to burn ketones. Once I adapted, I loved it! I can go for long rides without having to pack a bunch of food or stop to eat. It's so convenient.

This is great to hear! When I first did Atkins I had ZERO issues adapting to the new lifestyle and working out, but in those days I rarely did more than maybe a 60 minute weight-training workout. I suspect I will have a different experience trying to adapt to already pretty heavy and consistent running and cycling workouts. Part of the reason I'm starting this time of the year is that my race season is mostly over and now it's a matter of building back up the miles at an easier effort.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler

Phinney/Volek say that from low sodium in their books.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 19:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/197/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Fascinating discussion for me. I work out with weights regularly, and fairly heavy for someone over 50. I've just started low-carbing and I have already noticed I'm tanking sooner than I was before. I guess each person has to listen to their own body and eat accordingly. I plan on riding across Canada next spring. I'll probably average 110kms/day, which translates into 6500-8500 calories/day. Obviously I will need to be eating carbs. Any suggestions as to which carbs are best for such an output of energy?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 19:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/197/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

OK, I just read Phinney's take on needing almost no food. I'm a newbie so it's not computing with me yet, and have friends who are actual athletes that carb-load, etc, and say low-carb is idiotic. I don't agree with them, just saying I'm adjusting to a new way of thinking. Still, I'm not sure I will quite on the same page as Phinney by the time I take my trip. Definitely a lot to think about.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 19:45

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks Nancy--I have learned to eat a lot more salt. People definitely do a double take when they watch me fry 3 or 4 eggs in butter and then heavily salt them. I eat a meal of eggs like that on most days.