Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 08:33
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL, Duh! Thanks, I'm going to try that today.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 06:51
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Wink More Truth!

Doreen,

Thanks for your great research on this topic. What makes my plan ‘Atkins-ish’ is that I’ve been a believer in The Yogurt Exception. I’ve never had any rise in blood sugar one hour after eating yogurt, then again - I eat it first thing in the morning, and mine is homemade, cultured pretty darn tart at 24 hours.

I’ve always thought this was enough to ‘eat up’ all the lactose, but when I read your post, I realized this isn’t true. So I read Fiona's post with interest …

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona508
Greek yoghurt is yoghurt with some of the whey strained out - and that removes both the sourness and the lactose left in the whey, which is why it is lower in carb count than regular yoghurt.
I did some calculations worthy of the phrase spreadsheet. Here’s a synopsis of what I came up with… *

4 cups mild whole milk yogurt can drain 1.5 cups of whey in 24 hours. This saves over 50% of the carbs in whole milk (44 CHO milk compared to 23 CHO final product). **

Adding ½ to ¾ cup DaVinci’s syrup / herbal tea / water, etc. to this very thick yogurt ‘cheese’ leaves you with six extra creamy half-cup servings weighing in at an honest 3.3 carbs each. You’re also getting good bugs, 4.7 g protein, 135 mg calcium and 5.7 mg magnesium … all for 80.7 calories.

Another way to look at this is … If you took 4 cups of whole milk and split it into 6 servings, the yogurt-less-whey would come in at 3.9 g less carbs, 0.5 g less protein, 16.6 less calories, 28.7 mg less calcium and 4.75 mg less magnesium.

All in all, a good compromise for those of us who love that yogurt! Thanks for starting this great thread, Doreen.

Nutritional Data from USDA Database
* Based on whole milk, fermented 20% LESS whey, fermented 20%
**This number assumes no added milk solids and takes into account 20% ‘commercial type’ mild fermentation.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 10:31
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For those who love thier yogurt, but worry about the amount of carbs even in a 1/2 cup serving, you may want to look into keifer. I use lifeway lowfat kiefer and it has 8 carbs per 8oz cup. I have also read an article that states keifer is healthier for young children and pregnant mothers then yogurt, but that may of been a slaes gimic (the company was selling yogurt and keifer though, so you think it wouldn't unnessicarly bias you against thier own product.)
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/253/215 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Just curious ...

Is there anybody else who likes plain yogurt .. well ... PLAIN?? Au naturel without "stuff" in it? I like "stuff" in it too sometimes, but mostly I just like to eat it plain.

I eat Stoneyfield Farms Organic Whole Milk Plain. I do put a little bit of Davinci Sugar Free syrup and thats it. Or maybe a little splenda. I want to try lemon juice or maybe chopped real lemon - had that with a Danon high carb yogurt before. The Davinci supposedly has little or no Maltose, just the splenda. Occaisionally I put in some fresh blueberries when on phase 2 or 3.

I would like to get to the point of not needing or wanting much sweeteners of any kind. Sometimes I do that with hot tea. The tartness of plain yogurt is not that bad - there is some sugar in it after all!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 22:17
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I really enjoy the stoney field brand as well. It is also the lowest carb I can find next to goat's yogurt.

I've started making my own yogurt though using the Carb countdown milk. I 8oz glass of carb countdown whole milk has 3g net carbs. Therefore the most a cup of yogurt made from the milk can have is also 3.

I found it tastes great. When I tried the chocolate it didn't work as well, but this could be due to the fact the hcocolate is 2% and lower fat content milks make thinner yogurts.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%
Default yogurt without carbs

If you want yogurt without the carbs of milk, you can make it using heavy whipping cream.

Take 2-3 heaped tablespoons of store-bought, active yogurt and beat it with a fork in a bowl. Heat a quart of heavy whipping cream in a saucepan until it boils (don't let it boil over!). Turn heat down so it just simmers for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and leave it to cool until you can barely keep your finger in for a count of 10 seconds. Pour as much of the cream as you can fit into the yogurt, beating all the time and then pour the lot back into the pan, still beating. Put a lid on the pan and wrap a towel around it to keep in the heat. Put the pan in a warm place (I put it in the oven with the pilot light on) and leave for 12 or more hours until it is thick enough for you.

After this I add a quarter teaspoon of salt, turn it out onto several layers of cheesecloth on a dish, and set it into the fridge to drain out what little whey there is (not much in cream, but I like the end product firm--see below).

What you have is "lebneh"--the Arab version of yogurt and there's nothing comes close to it in the yogurt line. You don't have to do this last bit if you want it soft and a bit runny like American yogurt, you can just turn it out of the pan and eat it like that.

The salt is just to make the whey run out more easily so you can skip that if you want, and if you don't want to remove the whey.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 21:34
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Heavy cream still has carbs though.

I made the most wonderful yogurt over the holidays. It was half the LC milk and half heavy cream. It was so thick there wasn't any whey on top at all. It was wonderful. Now back to my plain ole Lc milk version

Using cream my yogurt starter calls that cream brulee I think. Cream something at least.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 13:31

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Ladybelle,
Creme Brulee is like a custard type dessert. Does it taste like custard? How much does a yoghurt maker cost?
Thanks!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 14:19
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I had a promotional certificate from Amazon, so I got my yogurt maker and a CD for $8

I think normally you can get one for under $20 or it's $20-$30 There are many types on the market, some fancier then others. If you are going to make keifer that can be done at room temprature and a yogurt maker could actually burn it.

This is the one I got, it's $15. Be careful not to accidently get an icecream maker, when you enter yogurt makers under a search frozen yogurt/ice cream makers will popup too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...itchen&n=284507
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:11

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks for the link! I'm kind of broke after Christmas, but I saved the page for when I can afford it. Thanks again.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Paleo
Stats: 151/127/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I make yogurt all the time now and it's thick and rich. I make it with half-and-half so it's got more calories but only 2 carbs per cup.

Bring 2 pints half-and-half (I use organic) to a boil in a pan on the stove. Let cool to 110 degrees. Stir in 3 Tbsp plain yogurt until it's mixed in well. Pour into glass jar (I use an extra large canning jar and put a spoon in the jar while I'm pouring the hot cream in so the jar doesn't crack), cover top of jar with waxed paper and secure with a rubber band. Wrap a thick towel around the jar and put it in a cabinet or somewhere draft-free for 6-8 hours or even overnight. You'll get super-thick, rich yogurt. Enjoy! Refrigerate after opening.

My daughter loves this with a little chocolate davinci syrup mixed in. I usually just mix in a packet of splenda and a little cinnamon. Yum.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 279/267/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

It would be nice if Hood and any other LC dairy manufacturer would begin to make yogurt with what ever technology that they have and come out with a 3g yogurt. I have to say that the LC milk is far and away my favorite splurge in the carb category.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:06
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaw00
I make it with half-and-half so it's got more calories but only 2 carbs per cup.

Are you absolutely sure it only has 2 carbs? Because 1 cup of half-and-half has 10.41 carbs...

Rosebud
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I think I know where lisaw001's yogurt recipe came from -- I've seen a thread for that recipe on another LC board, and in the thread it states that the 2g count is for *1/2* cup, using the "yogurt exception", or 5.5g straight carbs per 1/2 cup. Since the whole point of this thread is that the "yogurt exception" is way exaggerated, you should probably count it as 4 or 5g per half cup. It's still lower-carb than commercial SF yogurt like Blue Bunny, though, and the fat/protein/carb ratios are better suited to a LC diet, so there's no reason to quit eating it. Just count the carbs right, and consider half-cup servings instead of one-cup servings.

Last edited by atlee : Sun, Jan-11-04 at 19:58.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Paleo
Stats: 151/127/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Most of the carbs get eaten up by the cultures. It's the same as if you make the yogurt with milk. If you use a recipe with dried milk you would end up with yogurt that had 4 carbs. If you use cream you have yogurt with 2 carbs.