Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 15:39

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hi, Bess ! Believe me, if you've never tried the bars, you probably shouldn't !!! Especially if you're subject to cravings - cause they can make you have more! I truly wish I'd never tried them!!!

I still suffer from cravings - but like you, it could be from not sticking strictly to the plan this past weekend .

Ah, just because I eschew fast food doesn't mean you have to . I just get grossed out thinking of those trans-fats, ya know! Maybe even once a month wouldn't hurt - but I think you're better off with cheese & pepperettes .

I think when it comes to adding carbs back in, those of us subject to cravings must be very careful! If I ever go up into Transition, I plan on just having more of what I'm having now - and sticking with low glycemic new ones. I know the Eadeses don't put a lot of store in the glycemic index, and neither do I. But I want the carbs with the least impact, you know what I mean?

Yes, I am well known to eat even when I'm not hungry . I think the danger in skipping meals lies in the fact that the next thing you know, you may be hungry - and then have nothing to eat - or nothing low carb available, at any rate. Plus, our bodies can't store protein so we need it throughout the day. I think for me, I would skip the meal if the only option were something off plan - and then find a way to get something (nuts, cheese, etc) to tide me over until I could eat my next meal. I think skipping meals may make the body think you're going to withhold food but I don't know that once in a while it would hurt. Personally, I do ANYTHING I can to avoid missing my meals !

Cravings as I said have been bad for me too, lately. So you hang in there - and I'll hang in there with you! How's that sound? I think if we both behave for a couple of days, we'll be just fine !

Ok - work is calling so I must run. Have a wonderful evening!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:14

BF:

Hey Bess . I saw this thread on the general forum and thought of you . Hopefully in it you'll find something acceptable to order at fast food joints. I didn't read it, but hopefully there'll be some info in it for you the next time you face that decision. Have a marvelous day !

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=108677
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks for thinking of me Shadow!
I'll go check it out right now!
Let you know!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:58

BF:

Hi Bess ! Just wondering how you're doing!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Shadow.....

Life has interfered in letting me get on here! I have been doing ok!
I am trying to cook old favourites in a new way. Bought a George Formen to cook on this winter. Should be able to cook with less grease and quick. I recently had a trip around my grocery store and found interesting frozen burgers with extra stuff in it like cheese and bacon and the carbs are reasonable. I did some of them on the "George" and even my family loved them. ( of course, they ate the buns)
Tonight on the menu is homemade Stroganoff! Made with hamburger, Campbell's cr of mushroom soup, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, sour cream, pepper, and a little grated cheese. I figure 1/6 of the pan is 8 carbs! Should be filling too!
What do you think?
I am actually cooking! Hope I haven't screwed up the carb count!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 15:43

BF:

Hey Bess - am I invited to supper ??? My that sounds awfully tasty (with the exception of the green pepper )!

Sounds like you're being quite successful at getting variety in, finding foods that are quick and easy to prepare and that your family will eat with you, all while staying on the plan - way to go !!! Just think of how far you've come in such a short time!!! What a fantastic job you've done of getting it all together !

I've looked at the GF grills, just haven't bitten the bullet yet. But, since I like to reheat roast, chicken, etc in olive oil, it probably wouldn't be that good of an investment for me . I rarely eat hamburgers, pork chops, things like that. I have problems swallowing so when I eat meat, I need oil or sauce of some kind. I'm just bizarre I think ! But there are times even I think it would come in handy so I'll probably break down and get one at some point. What's one more kitchen gadget, huh ?

And - fantastic job avoiding the rolls!!! Actually, those hamburgers sound mighty good with bacon and cheddar. Gosh, I can tell we're coming up on supper time here! I'd better quit talking about food now !

Hang in there, Bess, and keep up the wonderful job you're doing!!!! BTW - I'm sure you did just fine on the carb count, too .

Last edited by Shadow01 : Tue, Sep-30-03 at 15:45.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

Shadow...

I have a question.... I have had a couple of confusing days. I have been really good with my diet and I have put on 2lbs and then stayed there for 3 days. Could it be the BC pill. I was losing really well during that time of the month and then I got to the week I started back on the pill and that's what happened.
Do you think that is the cause?
Or is it possible that you have to keep decreasing the level of carbs as you lose weight to keep losing weight.
I am puzzled????
Thanks in advance for the help!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:40

BF:

Hi Bess!

While I'm certainly not an expert, my first guess would be to think this is caused by the pill. Years ago (decades, really !) I remember gaining weight from it and I think that's pretty common. You might try searching the medical forum here - I'm sure there's most likely threads pertaining to the BC pill from other frustrated souls. If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll surf around for you .

What carb level are you at now? There is no advantage to going below 30 carbs per day. Have you increased your carb level above that? Are you spreading your carbs out at each meal? Are you getting in at least your minimum protein at each meal? If you've gone higher in carbs, you might try cutting them back some and see if it helps. Some people do have to stay pretty close to 30 for a long while or have they set backs.

Just keep in mind, going below 30 carbs a day doesn't help. Keep those 30 carbs and make sure they're nutritious carbs as much as you can. No need to cut out the good stuff (like veggies) when I'm sure they're not the culprit.

Hang in there - and let me know if you need me to search or what you've found out if you are successful in finding something!

And don't despair ! You're doing great and it will all come together!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for posting so quickly Shadow....

Glad to know to not go below 30! I usually eat 3 meals per day and have 10 at each meal. For me I don't seem to lose if I snack! I have also found that if I am a little above 30 I definitely have problems. That's how I gained back the weight. I got within 10Lbs of my goal weight and started to try to gradually add some carbs and I just couldn't handle it. Craving came back and I lost it!!!!
But I never have really had plateaus before and I also think sometimes it is harder to lose on a diet the second time around. Can your body get used to it and tend to put fat on quicker with even a slight change ....like meds or a few carbs over at one meal?

I will go searching now....let you know what I find! Thanks!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:26
Registered Member

BF:

Shadow...
just off the side of things....
I see you are from Wyoming! When I was in High school I went on my last summer vacation with my parents. We drove from Toronto (where I grew up) to Vancouver and back. But on the way back we drove thru the states instead of Canada. Loved Wyoming! It is one of my fondest childhood memories! We took the trip in July. Beautiful sunsets and country.

Just wanted to tell you that. Every time you post I think about that trip. I was 14 then.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 15:50

BF:

Bess - Hello again !

That's great you got to see big, beautiful Wyoming! I am a transplant (from Pennsylvania) but have been here 13 years and can't imagine a day I'd ever want to leave! This has become "home" in my heart - much to the chagrin of my family ! I'm glad you got to see and enjoy this state that I love !

Most definitely - YES - the second time around is harder. I have read that from so many people - that's enough incentive to (hopefully) keep me on the plan forever and keep me from straying! I was just reading another post today on the PP forum from a woman who compared her first time on PP and her second. The rules were all different and it took her a lot of work to figure out how to get it to work the second time around. I know I've seen posts here too about it being harder the second time around.

And no, don't drop below 30. It won't help so you can just avoid that aggravation ! If you want, I can give you a link to that post I saw today. Just don't lose hope - you'll get there! It may be a more difficult journey this time than before, but you will succeed!

Hang in there and keep me posted !
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:14
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for posting again Shadow....

You can alway seem to help me feel better. Funny how you feel something and just having someone "agree" helps a lot.

I will go searching for the posts about doing the plan the second time around and let me be your warning to not slip. It isn't worth it. I have been exceptionally counting everything this time and it IS harder. It would have been much easier if I hadn't let it get so out of control!!! I am glad I got back on it now before the holidays....
Although, next week is Thanksgiving in Canada. So it is turkey time. I will be hunting later this week for new and fun veggies instead of the usual potatoes, yams and corn! All Bad, right!

What about Turnip? How is it?
Talk soon! Keep posting!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:19

BF:

Hi Bess ! I'm so glad I can make you feel better! It's always nice to know we're not alone.

Okay - I will take your experience as a warning to not fall off plan !

Turkey ! It's just the other stuff that needs rearranging! Eat lots of turkey first and that will help fill you up. I've never tried turnips but a lot of people use them. 2 Thanksgivings ago I tried the mock mashed potatoes but wasn't thrilled with them. (However, I saw a post later by Karen about how to get them to come out right and taste well - hopefully you can find it). Last year, I was into low carbing long enough that I was just content with turkey on a large salad. The thing I missed the most was not having succotash - that was always my favorite . Didn't miss the stuffing - gave that up years ago for low-fat dieting so at least that wasn't a hardship either. I've seen lots of holiday recipes, though, so you should be able to find something to help get you through . I always make the pumpkin pie - but again, I'd made that crustless and sugarless for years so it was not sacrifice - but now since low-carbing, I get to add real whipped cream which is a bonus !

The key is preparation - and if you have any trouble coming up with good substitutes, let me know and I'll search around and see if there's any good info to give you from other sites !

So glad you're hanging in there. And don't sweat the holidays - with the right mental preparation, you'll make it through just fine ! Keep me posted on how you're doing !

#29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:

Shadow...
I really want your crustless & sugarless pumpkin pie recipe! Please!
I haven't had pumpkin pie for a couple of years and can't even imagine how you can make it crustless and sugarless?
I would love to have desert like everyone else this year!
I may be going to my in-laws place for Thanksgiving so I may be limited about what I can do. But I thought I could maybe bring a vegetable and my own desert! Or even, have my desert when I get home!

Desert would actually make it "thanksgiving".
I hope you will share: looking forward to hearing from you.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:16

BF:

Bess: Unfortunately, there's no special recipe for what I make. I just follow the Libby's label and sub AS for the sugar and heavy cream for the evaporated milk. Baking is the same except you don't have a crust edge to tend to . This year I will experiment with xylitol in place of the sugar or most likely a xylitol/splenda mix but in the past I just used pourable equal.

There's a recipe for it also at: www.lowcarbluxury.com. They normally have a holiday recipe list there to make old favorites low-carb friendly and soon will have their monthy e-zine dedicated to holiday cooking.

This year I may make a "crust" out of almond meal and butter, but most likely not. I enjoy it without the crust at all so why add needless calories when I'm sure to get my fill that day ! But Karen also has a scrumptious sounding brazil nut crust that I may try one of these days !

Having the dessert is a definite plus and will help keep you from feeling deprived ! I think taking your own veggie and dessert is a wonderfully good plan. If you don't take your dessert, you may be pressed into the "one piece won't hurt you" thing - and it will be more tempting if you don't have your own dessert there to compensate for when everyone else is digging in .