Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 15:55

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

---Bump---
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 16:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

**bump**

Anybody sink into depression while in menopause?

...me...I am!!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 13:20

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I think I'm starting either peri or meno - I'll be 49 in July. My last period was over 3 weeks and according to my regular schedule due back in a day or two, but who knows. I've been quite depressed, don't sleep well either. However, I have a lot of stress in my life at the moment, MIL expected to pass by months end, my mum passed in October 2006, nana in England is 94 so I'm worried about her, etc., etc. I'd like to know if it's stress I'm going through or the change

Vikki
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'll be 53 next month. I've not had a period for 11 months now. I quit smoking and stopped having periods all at the same time! I put some of the weight back on that I had lost with Atkins so here I am again. I'm down 5 lbs in two weeks and I am happy!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 14:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%
Default Skin, Natural Hormone Replacements

I hate to ask, but what is a TOFF?? Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake these days

My friend uses Olive Oil on her skin - seriously!! She says it's amazing and she sees a big difference.

Another friend got a saliva test done for her hormonal levels - apparently blood tests are nowhere as accurate for this - and now she uses progesterone cream on her wrists every day and can't believe the difference, she feels like a new woman! Number one thing docs usually do is prescribe Estrogen .... but Progesterone balances everything out and that's what is really, really out of balance and needed at this age.

You can send off for the saliva kit and the progesterone cream. The web site / company is run by a nurse, Susan Krautter, who is a graduate of McGill University (Canada) and has been nursing for 40 years. She is a holistic nurse in private practice, specializing in counselling and hormone issues. She advises against just using any old prog cream - there are not-so-good-ones out there.

http://helpforhormones.com/susankrautter

Judy you may want to look into it as my friend said the Progesterone really made a big diff with her mood/depression also.

My mom and I and some of our friends went to one of Susan's lectures - she is amazing and so knowledgeable!!!

I turned 50 in July and was having terrible TOM's with extremely debilatating, very heavy, monthly visits which rendered me basically housebound for 5-6 days, and forget going to the gym!! Even had a couple of days where I had to phone in sick to work. It was getting ridiculous ... I had suffered with this for about 3 years thinking it was just something I had to get through, time of life etc. My PMS was getting bad too, and even acne sometimes! Huge belly at that TOM too .... crazy!

When I was younger I didn't have bad periods at all, very light, and didn't have much in the way of PMS.

Anyway, after struggling along I finally said enough and went to see my doctor and he sent me off to GYNO and he suggested Endometrial Ablation ... more than a D&C but not a hysterectomy ... he said I didn't need hyst because ovaries and everything were fine. With this 20 minute procedure they remove some of the lining of the uterus - it can become very thick at this age - and remove fibroids, both a huge factor in this condition called mennoragia.

Apparently, this procedure ends your periods, or if not then you hardly notice them at all, and from research I have done on the internet ... a UK study on 100 women who had this ... it also gets rid of the PMS symptoms too. This lasts for up to 3 years and by that time they said I would be finished anyway So wish I had gone sooner and got this done - oh well

I have been really lucky otherwise and no hot flashes to speak of, or very minimal anyway.

I'm in week 2 of recovery ... 3 weeks in total ... but can go for walks, just nothing too strenuous for the 3 weeks. Other than that, the surgery was a breeze ... 20 mins ... woke up feeling totally fine, and still feel great.

I am actually seeing a huge improvement with PMS anyway with the South Beach diet ... so I think that would have helped anyway, it definitely makes a huge difference with my cravings and energy level, and way less bloating. Plus working out at the gym, doing Yoga , and walking also really helps with PMS

Anyway, sorry to ramble on but I just thought there may be more people out there with my condition who don't know about the Endometrial Ablation .... a lot of doctors don't even advise on this.

Cheers!

Paula

Last edited by Ms A : Sat, Feb-02-08 at 14:53.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 16:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks Paula!

This is the over 50 thread.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thanks Paula!

This is the over 50 thread.

Duh, thanks!
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Boy am I glad I found my way here. I have been in menopause (paws) for maybe 2 years. (I am 51) I can't remember exactly how long, because of menopause. The hot flashes were totally crazy hot, but have recently been under better control. The heat of the summer, and working in the garden is the worst! I have been known to (in the middle of a freezing day in winter) strip all my clothes off, and run outside in the cold. Thank goodness as we live on a farm, and hopefully no one can see the crazy 50 year women running around trying to cool off.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by apena
Boy am I glad I found my way here. I have been in menopause (paws) for maybe 2 years. (I am 51) I can't remember exactly how long, because of menopause. The hot flashes were totally crazy hot, but have recently been under better control. The heat of the summer, and working in the garden is the worst! I have been known to (in the middle of a freezing day in winter) strip all my clothes off, and run outside in the cold. Thank goodness as we live on a farm, and hopefully no one can see the crazy 50 year women running around trying to cool off.

Ha ha ha ... 'cept the amm inals (as my younger son used to say)!

Boy, you are brave ... I would have to be pretty darn hot to strip off all my clothes, even if no one could see!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 13:09

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by apena

I know exactly what you mean, I am 51, In 99 my dr. said I need my ovaries for at least 2 more yrs, clock work the hot flashes began. It can be the middle of winter and I think my internal temp is 110. I have had a partial hysterectomy, back in 99, so the sings are not period troubles. I have lite mood swings and lite depression, and not able to focus and not a will to do the things I used to. I am so aware it is Menopause, so I self talk a lot. I have read lots of books. I without my Uterus, I have Ostopenia. During the night I get lots of hotflashes, and they have gotten hotter and I feel the lite dampness on my skin, I HATE THIS. It is not fare, why don't MEN get something! We women have to deal with it all I do strip down run to the shower or tub, and then put clean dry cloths on. I have fans blowing all winter long, I turn the heat down to off most of the time. I low the cold weather. It is 64 in my house, I have a tank top on and the cool feel so nice. I think all of us menopause women should get a few yr trip to Alaska. I sure would go. My Honey could come, but he hate the cold....How long is this thing going to last. I have had hot flashes for 7-8 yrs. and 2-3 real strong ones. Is it going to get worse????
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 22:51

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Still having hot flashes, more at night then the daytime. I get pretty sick of them. I wake up repeatedly at night, and feel so tired in the am.
I'm considering taken a supplement soon to try and get rid of them. Does anyone know of one that really works?
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 23:33
Registered Member

Plan: Ongoing WL - Atkins
Stats: 190/176/150 Female 5' - 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
**bump**

Anybody sink into depression while in menopause?

...me...I am!!
Yes, me and yes again

Why do you think that is? I am 51 +

Why do our bodies become depressed with something that is suppose to be a natural part of our life?

Last edited by amonage : Sat, Mar-01-08 at 23:43. Reason: learning to post
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 23:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Still having hot flashes, more at night then the daytime. I get pretty sick of them. I wake up repeatedly at night, and feel so tired in the am.
I'm considering taken a supplement soon to try and get rid of them. Does anyone know of one that really works?

Me too, I soak my nightgown and pillow, it is like my chest has an oily sweat, it is very, very frustrating.

I too am so tired in the am, I just don't get the good sleep I need and want.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 22:19
Registered Member

BF:

I feel like I am posting to myself.

The cravings are the worst, it feels like ongoing PMS.

I know proteing/fat/veg's help a lot. But the physical/hormonal cravings are a real battle.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%

Hi !
Menopause is one time in life when you reallllllllly need a good doctor. Each woman is different and has to decide if she wants hormone replacement. I want to at least use progesterone because it helps the thyroid function better which keeps the metabolism moving along well.

I hit the big "M" about 4 years ago. Mama mia what a year that was!!! whooooeeee. Hot flashes from hades 24/7. Crying for no reason. That ended---after about a year of suffering. Now it's all about getting the progesterone, thyroid and adrenal hormones back to healthy levels for me.

Many times that menopausal depression is caused by underactive thyroid. It really might help to have that medically looked into. Women and menopause and underactive thyroid seem to go together.

I kinda like not having PMS