Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%

There's been something I've been meaning to ask people on this thread. Along with the thinning of the hair on my head, my body hair is thinning out everywhere on my body - and I mean everywhere. No one has mentioned this in particular. Is this happening to you, too?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:51

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Irish you must be a man. I don't know of a woman around would mind if all the hair on her legs dropped off . I cannot say I have experienced that problem but then when the hair on my head was dropping at such a rate I don't think I was paying attention. Perhaps someone else has.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:56

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Default Dr Atkins doesn't mention hair loss, does he?

Hello,
It seems to me Atkins doesn't mention hair loss as a side effect in his book. Or does he? I certainly think he should. Anyone else agree?

Ruby
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:00

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Ruby, I don't recall seeing anything about it in the book but....Yes, he should address it. However, if you are taking the vitamin regime he has set out perhaps your hair doesn't fall out??? I don't know but it should discussed so you know what to do if it starts, I think.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by irish
There's been something I've been meaning to ask people on this thread. Along with the thinning of the hair on my head, my body hair is thinning out everywhere on my body - and I mean everywhere. No one has mentioned this in particular. Is this happening to you, too?
Yes. For me, it's a symptom of my low thyroid, which is something you might want to have checked. Thinning eyebrows is often a tell-tale sign for hypothyroidism.

It is nice that I hardly have to shave my legs though

Doreen
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:04
Registered Member

Stats: 140/119/112
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Just off my head...

Hello Irish---

I've only seen hair loss from my head. I haven't noticed any loss from other places...

I'm taking biotin now, though it's too soon to see the results. I have new hair growth along my hair line that seems to be doing fine, though I'm still seeing a high quantity come out in the shower and as I dry and style my hair....

May everyone get a beautiful thick head of hair when this ends for you!

Regards,
K.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Have a look at www.nutrihair.co.uk - hair loss can be a symptom of low iron levels. A blood test which tests for serum ferritin levels can determine if hair loss could be due to lack of iron. I took the supplements recommended for three months, my hair is fine now but I am not sure if the supplements were effective or the hair loss just ran it's course. I stopped taking the pill and 8 weeks later had substantial hair loss, either starting the pill or stopping it can cause hair loss, in fact any hormonal changes can, ie after having a baby. I did wonder if it was connected to low carbing but I can't really be sure because of the time scale.

Cocoabear
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default hair loss

Wow!! I am amazed at how long this thread has been running. Here is an update on my hair loss. It has stopped, it stopped approximately 90 days after it had begun. I verified with two doctors that it was the teleogen effluvium talked about earlier (when hairs in the resting phase fall out prematurely). I read somewhere that about 10% of atkin dieters will experience hair loss, but from what I'm reading -appears it may be more than 10%. It is curious that Dr. Atkins doesn't address this, he really should if for no other reason than to alleviate fears.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:55

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Default Atkins should address

Hello,
Yes I think he should address. It's frightening for hair to be falling out by the handfuls. Maybe he's reading this thread. Hope so.

Ruby
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:54
Registered Member

Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default hair loss

Dizz,

No, I'm not a man. I'm a 48 yer old woman. I still have to shave my legs and underarms, but there's not as much there to shave. There's less on my arms (I've always had lots of blond hair on my arms), and there's less "public" hair (my favorite typo; i work in a hospital). I just hadn't heard anyone else speak of it.

My thyroid's fine and I take lots of supplements, including biotin.

Irish
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 17:35

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Irish - that other thinning could just be an early sign of menopause. Seems I have read about that.

BarB
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:10

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Smile

This thread is so long I didn't read it all to see if the answer to hair loss was posted. If so, I will post it again for all who may have missed Dr. Atkins answer. You can find it on this page:

http://atkinscenter.com/dev/helpatk...alth/index.html

"I've noticed some hair loss while I've been doing Atkins. Is this a result of my new eating habits? What can I do?

It is natural to go through periodic phases of shedding hair. But if this is an ongoing problem, make sure you're not restricting calories or skipping meals. Any weight-loss regimen may lower your metabolic rate, which can result in hair loss. Unlike calorie-restricted diets, Atkins is the least likely of any weight-loss program to contribute to hair loss because the higher caloric content keeps the body from behaving as though it is in a starvation mode. When that happens, your metabolism is lowered as a survival mechanism.

Alternatively, you might be low in some specific nutrients that could affect your hair loss. You might try adding biotin, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), glutathione and lecithin to your diet. If excessive hair loss occurs, see your doctor."
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 09:49
Registered Member

Stats: 259/221/145
BF:
Unhappy organic?

I have read this entire thread and was wondering if it had to do with eating a lot more meat and poultry that was not organic--I mean do people eating organic meat still lose their hair on this diet?

I posted the question on the Eat Right site and a naturopath answered privately and said it could be a lack of testoserone--like what? I'm a woman here!! I thought men were bald BECAUSE they had testoserone!

No he says, women are supposed to have it too--he says get the book Natural Hormone Balance for WOmen by Uzzi Reiss and read all about it.

My theory might still be right--the stuff they inject into cows is FEMALE hormones, isn't it....this would UNbalance the testoserone already floating about in our blood streams....

Anyway, haven't got the book yet, so if there is anything else, I'll be back.
Regards
Kae
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:06

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

I don't believe meat, either organic or non-organic, has anything to do with temporarily hair loss reported by some women who start the low-carb diet. Some women panic and go off the diet, but I understand the hair will soon grow normally even if one stays on the low-carb diet.

Steers in feed lots do have a "patch" device which release estrogen over time, but the amount is considerably smaller than the normal estrogen found in female cattle. Some female cattle that are barren or have poor milk production are sent to slaughter.

Yes, women have natural testosterone and women who become insulin resistant can have much higher than normal amount of testosterone. One of the signs of insulin resistance is facial hair growth because of this. Sever insulin resistance has been described as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) because the resulting hormone imbalance causes ovarian cysts.

For more on PCOS, visit:

http://www.pcosupport.org/

Kent
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 02:18
Registered Member

Stats: 259/221/145
BF:
Wink thanks Kent

Thanks for the info Kent, I can't really afford organic meat but was getting desperate, someone said her hair has started to grow back in 90 days so am hopeful...

I have heard that men in America were growing breasts because of all the hormones in beef.

Maybe it's menopause anyway, and not a LOT to do with the diet--will be able to wait a bit more calmly--

Am getting a bit tired of trying loads of expensive supplements that don't seem to do much--have drawers full

Thanks again for your time, Kent
Have a good weekend!
Kae