Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%

Read the Low Carb Luxury newsletter article about hair loss and it does make alot of sense. I have always had enough hair for three people and than started losing it. I did some resarch on the web and found that, like you said, fast weight loss can cause hair loss. I thought that maybe it was also due to my HRTs being changed to estrogen and testosterone (I recently read that testosterone may throw a woman into male pattern baldness). I've been on the new HRT's for 5 months and low carbing for 2-1/2 months. I voiced my concern to my gynecologist and he agreed to take me back to PremPro. Hopefully between the changed HRTs and giving it more time, my hair will come back.

irish
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 19:29

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Gosh, I'm so glad to find this page. My hair is falling out too. I thought it was Atkins as well but after reading the article I realize I had an event prior to the diet. I retired (quit my job) the end of February and started the diet in June.

Mystery solved. Thanks.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 09:35

Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair loss

Hey Dizz. I too am doing the hair loss thing but I found out through a blood test that I am hypothyroid. Hair loss is a symptom of this condition. Maybe a combination of the weight loss, the thyroid condition and (lucky me) menopause have caused my hair to grow thin. Anyway, I take 2000 mg. of evening primrose oil to help combat any further loss as well as my thyroid meds. Seems to help and also lessens the power surges of meno.

Take care,
Lara
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 09:56

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Very long

Well, everyone. My hair is very long...to my waist. I know that most people lose about 100 hairs a day through just living normal life with a normal diet. When I have hair in the shower floor or my brush I just figure my hair is like 10x longer than theirs so it looks like more. I've always had alot of hairloss...and regrowth. Hair is always going through a constant cycle. However I feel mine is mostly due to natural breakage during brushing or using a cheap conditioner before combing out wet/which I don't do anymore. I take multi vitamins and make a point to eat mostly essential oils, omega 3 and 6s and monounsaturated fats, tuna, salmon and olive oil. I wear about 4 years of hairgrowth on my head and you know what? The most recent 10" are really shiny and strong compared to my high carb hair length. It's the protein and the oils...I'm sure of it.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Default hair loss

I had my thyroid checked and it's fine. Anyway, regardless of why I am losing it, it's not enough reason to get me to switch back to the old way of eating. I'm in this for life!

Lynn
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 14:33

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi All

Here, as promised, my update. I have stopped the silica supplement nearly the day I bought it ( what a waste of money!!) as I have read, that excessive silica can cause an increase in Melanomas. I have loads of moles ( and I mean loads !), so I didn't want to risk it. The same web-page also says, that silica-defitiency is very rare, as we breathe it in as well. The last couple of weeks, there has been lots of discussions regarding the pollution in London and one of the main culprits in this is silica, which can cause lung-cancer. I also noticed, that my multi-vitamin supplement contains silica already. So, I just make sure, that I take it every day now ( I used to forget sometimes).
Hair-Loss has pretty much stopped, but I haven't noticed regrowth yet. Maybe those 2 days on the extra silica, gave my body just the needed boost ??
I will try and find out more about this silica stuff. Seems like we need it, but maybe eating it, is better than breathing it in ??
How is everybody else's hair-loss ?? Any news yet ?
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%

Well.... madpiano..... I just read your post after I went to the vitamin store and bought some silica!! I'm still going to try it though. I've tried everything else (Omega 3 fatty oils, mega-hair, and biotin) so why not silica? My hair loss has been going on since July (3 months now) the past two days have not been as heavy so I'm hoping it's at the end of its cycle. I've lot enough hair that I'm having to part it differently and style more carefully. I really would hate to end this WOE just to find out if the hair loss stops, but I may have to. How is everyone else doing?
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 05:44

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hmm, you may well be at the end of the hair-loss anyway. Mine lasted from July to about 1-2 weeks ago. So 3-4 months. Maybe my body thought it could fool me ( and the scales) by shedding hair-weight instead of fat-weigh ?? I'll keep you updated.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 05:58

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:

Mine has slowed down some (I could just pull on bits and it would come out). Still a bit on the brush every morning.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: Own LC Plan
Stats: 345/260/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well I do feel it is the diet. My hair has always been long and thick untill I started this WOE. Now it is getting really thin. I can see my scalp through my hair and that is something I couldn't do before. I don't have a thyroid problem or any other health issues. It is not my immagination and I can't think of another thing that I started doing just before this hair loss thing other than the Atkins diet. I do think this is a side effect of this diet for some people.
Attached Images
File Type: gif taz betty boob biker.gif (20.1 KB, 195 views)
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 21:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazmani77
Well I do feel it is the diet. My hair has always been long and thick untill I started this WOE. Now it is getting really thin.

Hair loss can be a problem for anyone who loses a lot of weight, regardless of how they lose the weight. Did you read the article in the link, Taz? If I remember correctly the effect (hair loss) usually preceeds the event (weight loss or other traumatic event) 3 or 4 months afterward. It could very well be that you are lacking something in your diet, or it could be a reaction to something (weight loss or something else). I see that you did start LC about 4 months ago.... when did the hairloss start? And did you lose a lot of weight on Induction? From what I recall it is supposed to be temporary.

Nat
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%
Cool

I'm beginning to feel encouraged. Hair loss has slowed considerably in the last 2-3 days!!! Only thing now is that I don't know if it stopped due to the supplements I'm taking (silica, liquid zinc, biotin, mega-vitamins) or if it would have stopped anyway!! I'm just REALLY glad it has finally slowed down and hopefully will stop altogether very soon!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 05:04
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/112
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default About that MSM

MSM , sorry to say, has been pretty much busted as a "quack" drug. I believe it is patented by one or two people, and has a pretty high profit potential, but I'm 100% positive there have been no controlled studies done by respected labs supporting its efficacy.
On the other hand, it hasn't been shown to have an adverse effect that I recall, either.

I believe it was profiled by quackwatch.com among others.

Sowwy. Don't shoot the messenger.

p.s. I'm the bald one in the photo below, and people still lurrrves me. Of course, I'm an artist, so that explains everything. The lady in the photo with me is Rebecca, who couldn't eat her way up to a size 8 if she had to. Grrrumble. She likes carrot sticks. FREAK.

#44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 14:26
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Red face Thank Goodness!

I've noticed just last week my hair was just coating my hairbrush, and its easy to notice with red hair! So I searched and found this thread! Thank Goodness!!
I feel so much better! I loved being on this diet especially since my hair responded by being stronger, shinner, and wavy!
You should see my before picture!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 17:53

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:

Well I've stopped taking MSM dwala..why take something when one is not sure if its good or not?

My hair has slowed down in loss, thank God, but much thinner then before and believe it or not, easier to manage

So, I'm relaxed