Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 18:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Joe,

All LC plans are welcome to be included, even the ones Andy covered (read hist post listing all 4 of them).

Great to have you cover Montignac. Eeach member has the option to post their summary of their chosen diet on the forum first, or email it to me (I prefer posting to the forum, but I perfectly understand if some members are too shy to do so).

I haven't figured the guidlines yet, please feel free to come up with some, or we can have each member write in their own style and choose the best entry in terms of organization, style etc.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 18:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Hmmm, I thought this is the main LC forum!?!?

Duh! I thought I was in Andy's Journal. Ground Control to Karen...can you read me! LOL!

What about posting it under a new heading then?

Karen
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 18:31
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

What about posting it under a new heading then?

Definitly! Will do.

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 17:35

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Wa'il , this is proving to be a lot more complicated than I originally foresaw, without an established guideline.

I thought that maybe Andy's analysis might be a way to start. But I don't have a copy of it.

(As an example of picking one subject from two books) Reading Montignac's "Eat Yourself Slim", I find that he is anti-sugar, and sits on the fence regarding artificial sweeteners. While Heller's "CA Healthy Heart Programme is anti-sweetener and sits on the fence about sugar. Who is correct?

Would it be simpler to start this "Comparison" by producing a thread on individual subjects and see how they differ with each author and get additional input from our knowledgeable Administrator and Moderators, plus any other comments from our members based on their experience.

When we have completed a number of threads on various subject, we can then compile them into a sort of manual, and put it in our archives.

Has anybody got any better ideas to help give this a kick-start?

Regards
Joe
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 19:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
(As an example of picking one subject from two books) Reading Montignac's "Eat Yourself Slim", I find that he is anti-sugar, and sits on the fence regarding artificial sweeteners. While Heller's "CA Healthy Heart Programme is anti-sweetener and sits on the fence about sugar. Who is correct?

In a comparison study, I don't think it matters as to who is correct. We're looking for differences, as well as similarities. It's up to the individual to decide what is correct for them.

Karen
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 07:49

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Joe,

I have been giving some thought to how I would tackle your task, given the variations in diet and presentation you will have to cope with.

What I think I would do is get members to submit their summaries, then edit them all, to give a consistency of style, presentation and emphasis. This would give you a document for each diet summarised. I would then collate the information from all of the documents into a single table, which is what members would see if they visited the survey. It would be an overall summary sheet, giving direct comparisons between all of the diets. Anyone interested in learning more about any of the featured diets could click on the row or column it occupies in the table, and this would throw the reader directly onto the whole page summary about it. In this way, there would be a lasting resource for the benefit of all, which does not waste any of the input but streamlines access to it or enables comparison between diets.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mix of sorts
Stats: 174/168/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Excuse my jumping in here . . .

. . . but I've been watching this thread as I think its a grand idea and am anxious to see the summaries of the different plans.

I was re-reading my CAD last night so thought I'd try to summarize it here. First - a disclaimer - this is only a summary as I understand it. For full information, you need to read the book.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet [Copyright 1991]
The Carbohydrates Addict's LifeSpan Program "A Personalized Plan For Becoming Slim, Fit, and Healthy In Your 40s, 50s, 60s, and Beyond" [Copyright 1997]
By: Dr's. Richard F. and Rachael F. Heller

Summary of Basic Premise: According to the Heller's research, many carbohydrate addicts produce too much insulin. This excess insulin creates hunger and causes the body to store fat. This program is designed to reduce hunger and carbohydrate cravings - thus achieving weight loss - by controlling your insulin. Controlling insulin is accomplished by controlling the amount, type and timing of carbohydrates that are consumed during the course of the day.

Summary of Basic Plan: Two meals during the course of the day are of specifically listed low carbohydrate foods. The third meal of the day - the "reward" meal - includes carbohydrates. However, the reward meal is to include a pre-meal "craving reducing" salad and equal portions of protein, vegetable and carbohydrate-rich food [including any dessert you may desire]. Also, the reward meal must be consumed in its entirety within one hour.

Pro's: No induction period. No weighing or measuring of foods and no counting of carbs; just a simple list of "Craving-Reducing Foods" that are permitted during the course of the day [excluding the "reward meal"].

Con's: Some persons may have trouble holding back on the reward meal until they become adapted to the diet. The reward meal is not a permitted "binge"; it has specific guidelines that must be adhered to if the diet is to work.

Misc: Includes Carbohydrate Addiction test, information on carb triggers, reasons for and possible solutions to weight reduction stalls, additional weight-loss options that may be added to the basic plan and sample menus and recipes. Low fat options are included for those who must limit the fat in their diet.

Feel free to use this summary as a starting point in determining what type of outline you want, information you need, etc.

Best Regards;
Sandy
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 11:25

BF:

Hi Sandy,

Wonderful! Thanks, I have learnt from your posting. It is clear that if this really gets going, so many people could benefit. Joe...
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 11:26
Forum Founder

Well done Sandy!

I will procede with Andy's suggestion and create a temporary web page, with each user entry having it's own page, and a link to a forum thread about that entry for user suggestions, corrections and revisions, until we have a consensous that it is accurate, readable and useful.

Each summary will have the author(s) name(s), and contributors. When done, it will be added to our Tips page under the title "Which LC plan is right for me" or "Comparison of LC Plans" or the best title offered by our members.

I'll probably have that page ready later this evening with all available entries. Feel free to add your entry.

Wa'il
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 14:40

BF:
Cool

Keep up the good efforts Wa'il, Andy and Sandy!!!!

Well I have just finished reading another LC book which I find even more interesting than my CAD plan.

Here is a synopsis of:

Eat Yourself Slim by Michel Montignac

Copyright- 1999. (8 million copies sold in Europe- according to the cover)

PRO- The most fascinating part of this diet is that you do not count , carbohydrate or calories.

There are only two phases to this plan.
Phase 1.- You stay on this until you get to your ideal weight.
Phase 2.- This is the maintenance portion that you live with the rest of your life.

Carbohydrates- The foods are not shown in grams, but are given an 'index number' to show their glycemic index, for a comparison of 'good' and 'bad' carbs.

As an example here is a short list:
High Glycemic Index Carbohydrates:
Maltose (beer) 110
Glucose 100
Baked potatoes 95
Hamburger Rolls 85
Sugar (saccharose) 70
Corn 70
Long-grain rice 60
Bananas 60
Shortbread cookies 55

Low Glycemic Index Carbs.
Brown Rice 50
Sweet Potatoes 50
Oatmeal 40
Rye Bread 40
Raw Carrots 30
Dairy Products 30
Green Lentils 22
Fresh Apricots 15
Green Veggies < 15

Phase 1 - You eat three substantial meals a day plus snacks.
He also does not expect anybody to over eat these meals. You use only Carbs that have a Glycemic index from 0 to 35. Of course these meals do include protein and fats.

Phase 2 - You can eat the rest of your life from 0 to 50 which will maintain your weight.

For people who have high blood pressure or heart conditions, he does also recommend low fat, and low cholesterol foods.

I do not know if any of our members who have been on this Plan, but I am thinking of trying it, as CAD is too slow for me.

I like the idea of not having to count carbs or calories,

Regards
Joe

P.S. If I anybody has studied or used this Plan, we all would be interested in your opinions.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 17:58

BF:

Congratulations Joe. Now things are really moving. Already there are so many interpretations or variations of LC methods. The more that are on file, the more likely this forum will be able to provide something for everybody, I reckon. I bet you never thought your idea would go so far!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 07:29

BF:
Cool Continuation of Montignac EYS

I neglected to include the following important information in the Montignac EYS synopsis that I began yesterday.

Vitamins, Minerals and Trace Elements

The author maintains that we should be able to get all our essential vitamins through eating fresh foods prepared by ourselves. As a result he gives detailed instructions on how to prepare them. (What happens if you do not have the time or facilities to do this?}

He describes "minerals" as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, sulphur, and magnesium. He describes "trace elements" as chromium, cobalt, zinc, copper and selenium that function in infinitesimal quantities.

He states that "a lack of minerals and trace elements can be harmful". He maintains that synthetic supplements are "not easily absorbed by the intestines".

He therefore strongly advocates the use of a teaspoon of 'beer yeast' or 'wheat germ' added alternatively each morning to a dairy product.

Sugar and Artificial Sweetener

Montignac considers sugar as "Poison", but he also warns everybody to "be careful of artificial sweeteners", as they could disturb metabolism in the long run.

Fructose appears to be his favourite sweetener, because he considers that it can be classified as a 'natural sugar', and has a low glycemic index of 20.

That is all I have to report at this time.

If anybody has any questions, I will be pleased to hear from you.

Regards
Joe
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 17:55

Plan: CA
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi all, I'm new to your group but I would be happy to do a brief summary of carbohydrate addicts, if no one senior to me wants to do it.
Darcy
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:04
Forum Founder

Hi Darcy,

Welcome aboard! Check the announcement at the top of this forum, it points to this URL:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html

This page should contain the latest submissions. CAD was covered by Sandy. However, we do welcome any additions, comments modifications to entries. So do check it out, and feel free to contribute any comments.

Thanks!

Wa'il
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:52

Plan: CA
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Very good summary of CA Sandy!
Maybe we could add that the Hellers are totally opposed to being in Ketosis. They feel it is harmful and should be avoided by eating enough carbs. I find it confusing that they take this position and Dr. Atkins takes the opposite.
Darcy