Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 01:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburnikell
Im not to keen on the stuff I like it as stovies but thats a BIG NO NO due to the mashed spud

Stovies... tattie scones... soda farls... haggis, neeps and tatties... oatcakes... tablet... even porridge... (not to mention Mrs Uni's snack packs! ) I think its safe to say, aside from the no carb whisky, if it comes from Scotland its not on this diet! Thankfully I was never tempted in the first place by the deep fried Mars bars...!

Our resident Scots have my full admiration... my fiance and I both agreed we couldn't live back there till we've lost the weight (the licensing laws alone would prove fatal!)

Burns night is going to be a nightmare!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 03:17

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pepsi max !!!!!!!!!

somewhere to put the Marmite !!!!!!!!!!

HOORAY

THANKS Marmite

*runs out to buy corned beef*
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 03:36

It works nicely with boiling water as a hot drink, or added to mushroom (or chicken) stroganoff too if that's any help plum.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 03:43

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

and you can spread it on turkey slices and fill with grated cheese or put it on parmasan crackers.
i also mix some with phillie chream cheese and put on celery!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:27
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

or you can through it in the bin where it belongs!!! lol
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbcutter
Get 3 slices of corned beef and layer one with a slice of Gouda cheese tomato and squeeze some hellmans on it then repeat again so thats 2 slices corned beef 2 slices Gouda with a little squeeze of hellmans on it then top it off with the last slice of corned beef.

Suddenly feeling obliged to remind folk that both corned beef and hellmann's have - often hidden - carbs to be taken in to account before tucking in! As do tomatoes, of course. So it could mount up to a far higher carb start to your day than originally intended.

Though I also fully appreciate the need to escape eggs sometimes...!

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 09:35.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 164/164/150 Female 64
BF:164/164/150
Progress: 0%
Default What

What are hidden carbs and how dare they hide in Hellmans??
It's hard enough liveing in Scotland without hidden Carbs.So hard to get used to that lovely countryside, good clean air,but yes all that food .
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:34

I know Fiona... its shocking behaviour, isn't it?!

There's a good introductory article (which briefly mentions corned beef too) on hidden carbs at http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips009.html

As for Hellmann's... there's specific mention of it at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=31174 in an overall mayo thread by Karen.

If its any comfort, I used to adore Hellmann's... couldn't eat enough of the stuff! Then I started making my own mayo, and I have to say I wouldn't switch back for anything now... Hellmann's (or even the luxury style mayos most stores stock) tastes really synthetic and ugly to me now.

At the end of the day, with most things (including quorn before folk wonder if I apply the same thinking to myself! ), there's a very good reason Atkins so actively discourages eating processed food.

You do have my sympathy living in Scotland... and my envy! I still say the friendly people, stunning countryside and gorgeous cities (well, Glasgow and Edinburgh anyway!) outweight the carb heaven that is the Scots diet!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 305.2/287.2/238 Male 6ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Well thx for the info but as i read the labels and it says 0.5 carbs or so i take it that is exactly what the carb content is. Regarding the hellmans as well i'm now getting a bit confused because i'm sure a 15 ml spoonful or whatever measurement it is has only 1.1 or so carbs i can't check at the moment as the bottles at my work same with the corned beef but i am fairly sure it's only something like 0.5 or 0.9 carbs per slice.

So just to reiterate the food labels we get in the UK have the total carbs in them or do they have hidden carbs somehow i dont think its the latter as that would defeat the point of putting a carb total on the label if it also had hidden carbs?
Its a wee bit confusing for me.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:14

I know it is Carbcutter. And no I'm afraid labels frequently don't tell the whole story... there are all manner of ridiculous laws governing what has to go on them, and what the food companies can conveniently neglect to mention...

There's a very handy tool on this site if ever you're in doubt through a link at the top of the page... in the orange strip, look for the one titled "low carb tools" (I've made it a link for you too) and you'll find a very useful tool there to check out the hidden carbs.

Its particularly useful when you're first starting out and getting used to spoting the hidden carbs. Though sometimes, I have to say, life's too short...
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 305.2/287.2/238 Male 6ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Man this is getting to educational for me ok right urban i have went to your link and i hit the corned beef & jelly thing and it says 0-00 carbs and right at the bottom it says CHO (CARBS) Factor 3.870 are these the hidden carbs you are talking about?.
Again this is getting kinda techie for my Neathandral brain to take in but if there are hidden carbs all over the place it's gonna get complicated for me to stick vehemently to this atkins diet here's me thinking i was doing ok and what do they do they spring some hidden carb shit on me

I cannot get my head round the fact they tell u there is so many carbs on the label but there are hidden carbs as well.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:42

See my other post on your hidden carbs thread Carbcutter...

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to cause you stress for one moment. More, I was highlighting for the particularly carb sensitive folk (like me!) that what you see isn't always what you get.

If you're losing weight... if you're feeling good in yourself... you don't need to worry your pretty neanderthal brain about it! Seriously, like I said, life's too short... unless you're getting stuck and really want to double check in detail to see what may be causing it, I'd say go with the label, relax and enjoy life...
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:44

PS... If its any comfort, I got really stressed when I first started running stuff through that! Now I only ever use it if I'm not sure on something...
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:46

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

the way i see it if you,re losing weight then it ain,t broke so don,t fix it.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 12:49

And I herein appoint Christine as my official translator! Why use one sentence when I can write an essay, that's what I say?!

Thanks Christine!