Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:06

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

To Nat: Geez, girl - We've both been here for how long and I *still* can't read a single post of yours w/o learning something new?

Pretty cool soy vs. whey article. I never really had an opinion one wa - er, 'whey' or the other. Mostly I use whey in drinks because that's what's more easily available, and soy in the LC bread/pasta/tortilla products - also because that's just how they come. Gives me a new reason to try a different protein powder when I run out, tho.

Cheers,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Wink

You mean you don't remember the Great Soy vs. Whey Debate of June 2002?
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 11:06
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Thanks Nat-ta-tat for posting that article. It was very informative. I had stopped taking the soy because I thought whey was better. I am going to mix them up.

Have a great day BFL-ers!

Peace
red
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 12:06

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

LOL! Actually, I do remember it; I just didn't read it. *grin*

I was perfectly happy with my protein powder at the time so it seemed rather superfluous. Good to know now, tho. A time and purpose to everything, eh?

Cheers,

Friday
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:20

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Nat, I am sorry to send this thread in a totally different direction, but I need some experienced BFL advice. I fell today and had to get eight stitches in my leg. (But I'm fine otherwise.) They said no exercise for two weeks. I was just finishing up week 2 of BFL. Argh!

So what should I do? Take the two weeks off and then start again at day 1? Or continue doing UB lifting (since the injury was entirely to my leg, I think that would be safe) and then pick up where I left off after the stitches come out? What do you think?

Hey Red, I think I got the Tanita scale on sale from a website like drugstore.com for $50. There was a cheaper model but you have to type in your stats every time. This one saves my info so it's easier to get the BF% every day.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:58
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
Hi Nat, I am sorry to send this thread in a totally different direction, but I need some experienced BFL advice. I fell today and had to get eight stitches in my leg. (But I'm fine otherwise.) They said no exercise for two weeks. I was just finishing up week 2 of BFL. Argh!

So what should I do? Take the two weeks off and then start again at day 1? Or continue doing UB lifting (since the injury was entirely to my leg, I think that would be safe) and then pick up where I left off after the stitches come out? What do you think?

Oh Sarah, sorry to here about your fall. Something similar happened to me. When I was 4 weeks into BFL, I tripped while running and splattered on the sidewalk. I had big gashes on my elbows and hands as well as my legs. I ended up taking a month off and then I just started over from scratch as soon as I could.

If you can still do the upper body lifting that's great. I would still do upper body once or twice a week and then start over when possible after the stiches are out. Although I'd be careful even with the upper body, we can tense up our whole body when hitting those "tens". So if you do, do upper body be careful. But, I too am interested to see what Nat thinks about this.

I really hate to see this happen to you when you were doing so well. But do your best to stay motivated and you'l be back in full force soon.

Arnie

Last edited by Arnie_g : Thu, Aug-14-03 at 20:06.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:21

BF:

Hi Arnie, thank you so much for replying. It made me feel so much better to know that you've been through a similar experience and were still able to make BFL work.

I think I'll go ahead and continue with the UB workouts (taking your advice and not pushing too hard -- today just grocery shopping and feeding a friend's cat has my leg aching!) and then start over when they give me the all-clear to exercise my legs again.

Thanks!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
I think I'll go ahead and continue with the UB workouts (taking your advice and not pushing too hard -- today just grocery shopping and feeding a friend's cat has my leg aching!) and then start over when they give me the all-clear to exercise my legs again.

Thanks!

Go, Sarah, that's the spirit!

Arnie, you're fantastic. You came through at the right moment and BOTH of you have me in AWE.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:06
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

I just went back and looked at the post I had made when that happened, you can see it here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109492
I see it was only two weeks that I had been doing BFL, when that happened. I had to laugh because at one point I thought I'd be back at it in a couple days, but in reality it took about a month before the wounds had healed enough for me to start again.

Arnie
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 21:35
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:

Hey Sarah! That's awful. I hope you heal soon. I guess if you feel up to it fo it but if it hurts PLEASE STOP!

Nat, might not be able to reply. We had a Blackout in Ontario (also, QC, NY, NJ, CT). Mine finally came back tonight. The US is blaming us and we are blaming them. We're still not back 100% and we are being asked to conserve. I did not have water until this morning and all my food I had to dump out of the refridgerator. Sheesh!

Have a great weekend all.

Peace
red
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Ouch, Sarah. I hope you're a fast healer! The question of whether to workout or not is a tough one. I'd check with the doctor if possible and ask if upper body workouts were OK. Often the advice to not workout isn't just to avoid aggravating your injury, but also because recovering from injury takes a lot of energy for the body and working out can make recovery take longer. If you do decide to go ahead with the workouts make sure you're getting a good night's sleep, lots of water and that you're eating a good amount of calories from fats and proteins. The fact that you're eating higher carbs than many doing LC BFL will also aid in your recovery.

I think that covers it - I had a post all typed up and ready to go and everything crashed on me - insert expletitive here.

Red, you're right - we were powerless for a long time up here. It came on yesterday around 10 am and went off a few times after that. We've had it steady now since 6 pm yesterday, although they keep saying rolling black outs are happening.

Nat
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

Welcome back, Red and Nat! I had a much shorter outage time than you guys and in was a major inconvenience so I have an inkling how frustrating it must've been for you both.

I finally managed to get in 5 good meals on Friday and it made a HUGE difference in my workout and day. I found a good calculator for how much protein I need to train and worked hard to hit it. Unfortunately, it requires a good deal of brain power and yesterday I wasn't hungry at all (here we go again!) so I shopped for meal replacement bars (which I hate) and couldn't even finish 1/3 of one. So, here I go into the second week worrying about eating enough. On Friday I had 4 small meals and 2 shakes and it worked out great. Hope to be able to do that again today and the other days. I doubt I'll hit 6. The increased calories kicked up my metabolism and I lost another pound (145!!!) but noticed the scale has since gone up - could that be muscle??

How are the rest of you doing with your protein and meals in general? It's still the hardest part for me.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:18

BF:

Nat, thanks so much for your advice. I really want to stay active so I will call the dr. on Monday and ask if he thinks UB lifting a couple times a week is okay. Crossing my fingers that he says yes! But if he says no, I'll definitely follow his instructions: I've been having more trouble getting around than I expected, it's really taking a lot out of me.

Optimist, I read somewhere that it's common to stop losing or gain a little for the first couple weeks of a sudden increase in muscle-building exercise, because it causes water retention in the muscles. Something to do with glycogen replenishment? They aren't used to burning up all the glycogen stores like you're making them do now?

I also gained a little (a pound and a half) in my first two weeks of BFL, but I know it wasn't typical "ate too many carbs" water weight because that makes my rings tight, and last week one ring fell off my finger. I think it's too soon for that gain to have been muscle mass, but I hope it means that my muscles were responding to the increased activity. Here's hoping it's not all gone by the time I get back on my feet
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Optimist, I read somewhere that it's common to stop losing or gain a little for the first couple weeks of a sudden increase in muscle-building exercise, because it causes water retention in the muscles. Something to do with glycogen replenishment? ...

I also gained a little (a pound and a half) in my first two weeks of BFL...I think it's too soon for that gain to have been muscle mass, but I hope it means that my muscles were responding to the increased activity. Here's hoping it's not all gone by the time I get back on my feet

Thanks, Sarah. I'm with you, as long as the extra poundage isn't from cheating, I'm perfectly fine. I KNOW with all the hard work I did last week SOMETHING'S gotta eventually happen. I'd gone down to 145 (where I suspect my weight will take another stubborn pause) and then went back up to 147. I'm going to wait a couple weeks before changing my weight here now that I know it'll bounce around a little. I can't say I won't be tempted to peek at the scale 'cause that'd be a lie, I just won't rely on it.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:39
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Everyone! Hope you guys had a great weekend.

Thanks Optimist. I agree with you guys that it is just your muscles holding on to water. It will be gone soon. I hope you heal ASAP Sarah.

I have been trying really hard to do the six meals a day and on most days I have accomplished. I just make sure that I eat smaller portions. I fell short of my protein goal but it was better than it has been. The shakes really help me get that protein in. Is it bad to rely on the shakes so much for protein?

Earlier this week I got a rash on my legs. Someone else had it as well on this site and said it was because of the red meat or eggs some sort of acid so I am going to stay away from them. I did not have eggs but I did have meat and I had started eating cheese again so I think maybe it was the cheese. Since I cut out the meat, it is almost gone, it was itchy and red. I cut out caesar dressing too just in case it was something in the dressing.

Be safe.

Peace
red