Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 15:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
well I had half a Myoplex shake before lifting today. Last week when I did my first LB workout I really pushed it & was so sore I could barely walk for days.
I feel for you, Sarah. This is something you're going to notice a lot more if you eat higher carbs. For many the pain associated with lifting has a lot to do with the amount of glycogen stored in the muscles. When you LC glycogen is kept very low and consequently pain is minimal (this, however, does not mean you're not working out hard). I had my family and coworkers extremely worried this Winter when I returned to higher carb lifting after a refeed - I could not walk for a few days. Definitely double up on the glutamine and watch form, this is where you could hurt yourself.

Quote:
I got my L-carnitine at a small health food store, it's not on the shelf, you have to ask for it .
Thanks, Red. It never occurred to me they might have it under the counter - that's how I got my last bottle of hydroxycut

Nat, of the very sore shoulders!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 19:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie

Arnie, what do you do differently on Atkins with the BFL day off?

Peace
red

Red,

On a BFL free day, I don't worry about what time it is when I eat. I don't concern myself with eating 6 meals and I usually have some Atkin's allowed junk food. I have a bag of Pork Rinds that I'm going to devour tonight. Probably will have a club soda with some lemon juice and splenda too.

But I don't want to over do it. I don't want to negate all the work I did through the week. But I think it's nice to have one day to not think so much about eating and allow myself a treat.

Arnie
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Okay, I've got it down pat now. I'm SO ready! Thanks, Nat (and friend!), Arnie and Sarah!

Red, good question and one I was trying to ignore! Okay, at Lean and Strong my BMI is 26.9 and Body Fat (Circumference) is 38.9. According to it, at my goal weight I'll be at 25%. We'll see.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 23:33
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Nat, I did not know it was not sold in Canada until I asked the guy at GNC and he told me thats why they did not sell it. But the other store is a tiny store.

Thanks Arnie! I just eat normally.

Optimist, try these other two sites and see what they give you as well!

Body Fat -Zn

Body Fat-NCZ

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 23:38.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:45
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
Nat, Optimist, try these other two sites and see what they give you as well!

Body Fat -Zn

Body Fat-NCZ

Peace
red

Ouch! According to those sites my BF% is 27 or 29% and should ideally be between 14 and 20%. I have a long way to go yet.

The good news for me from these sites is that my normal weight should be between 122 and 164, so I'm just tipping the scale at the high end of normal, I'm no longer considered overweight. Hooray!

Good luck on your first day Optimist....

Arnie
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:11

BF:

Ack, those BF calculators rub me the wrong way - they cause so much confusion and frustration. Take them with a wheelbarrow full of salt and use them as a guage for how you're doing over time. Short of an autopsy nothing can give you a 100% accurate measure of BF

-Nat
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:51
Registered Member

BF:

Red, I just woke up from the nap following Day One of the Challenge and I'm afraid doing another calculator might make me CRY. Thanks for giving me other links to bookmark but I'm going to stick with the worst reading, the one using the waist and hip measurements, for a baseline.

Because of The Nap I think I'm a meal behind. Does coffee count as a meal if put milk in it?? I know it doesn't and this is how I always end up slowing down my metabolism.

Gotta go eat.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:20
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:
Ack, those BF calculators rub me the wrong way - they cause so much confusion and frustration. Take them with a wheelbarrow full of salt and use them as a guage for how you're doing over time. Short of an autopsy nothing can give you a 100% accurate measure of BF
No autopsy for me!

About a month after I started I had mine done at the gym using some sort of electrode thing they did and I had to lay down. It was 45%. Now its 35%. I am shooting for 20% and thats how I decided on my goal weight.

Quote:
Ouch! According to those sites my BF% is 27 or 29% and should ideally be between 14 and 20%. I have a long way to go yet.The good news for me from these sites is that my normal weight should be between 122 and 164, so I'm just tipping the scale at the high end of normal, I'm no longer considered overweight. Hooray!
Congrats on no longer being overweight Arnie! I wish I was 27%... I will be overweight, according to NCZ until I get to 128.

Optimist, both of those take into account waist and hip measurements and one of them takes your neck as well, not sure why neck. I can't get into leanandstrong it gives me some sort of java script error. You could take an average of them.

You are taller that me but my lean body mass is higher 96.2 and it has not changed (off by .5) which I guess is good because that means I have not lost any muscle, if it's accurate. Maybe in September I will get them to check my body fat again.

Peace
red
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:37
Registered Member

BF:

Red, congratulations on losing 10% body fat! I may just trot on over to those sites and check out the one that uses the neck measurement. Great work!

Arnie, whoo hoo, you're NOT an overweight person anymore!!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:56

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey Nat, great photo! I think the glutamine made a huge difference in soreness. Yesterday I had my second LB workout. I used more weight than the first time, and instead of barely able to walk, I'm hardly sore at all! Thanks for the tip, glutamine is a lifesaver!

Red and Arnie and Optimist, I hate those online body fat calculators. They seem totally random to me. I have a body fat scale & according to it I've gone from 42% to 25%. I don't know if it's correct, but it does seem consistent and those seem like realistic numbers to me.

I'm still getting used to the idea that the BMI is going to be increasingly less useful the more weightlifting I do and that body fat is the real measure of progress now -- I've been watching my BMI drop for 10 months but I keep reminding myself, the BMI and the number on the scale aren't the point anymore.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
I used more weight than the first time, and instead of barely able to walk, I'm hardly sore at all! Thanks for the tip, glutamine is a lifesaver!

I'm still getting used to the idea that the BMI is going to be increasingly less useful the more weightlifting I do and that body fat is the real measure of progress now -- I've been watching my BMI drop for 10 months but I keep reminding myself, the BMI and the number on the scale aren't the point anymore.

bo
Hey, Sarah,

I've read everyone's posts about glutamine and I purchased it after re-reading Atkins about a month ago. This morning I forgot to take it after my workout but did so with my lunch. I'm not much of a supplement taker because they're expensive and the only ones that have made a noticable difference for me so far are calcium and magnesium. Atkins advocated L-Glutamine to help with cravings, is this the same glutamine you're writing about?

I may, if I'm feeling particularly masochistic, pick up some fat calipers because there's no doubt about how much flubber one is or is not pinching.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:14
Contributing Member

Now for something completely off topic, but inquiring minds want to know....

Nat, my screen shows pictures a little dark. Is that a snake on your shoulders? Is it a pet?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist
Atkins advocated L-Glutamine to help with cravings, is this the same glutamine you're writing about?
Yes, Ma'am. The dosage recommend in DANDR is a lot smaller than that for sports nutrition, however. Glutamine is an amino acid - a very abundant one in your body. It functions to boost immune system function, it helps maintain muscle mass, it prevents muscle catabolism (breakdown), it enhances glycogen storage and it aids recovery from exercise - it does all this and yet it's considered a nonessential amio acid !

Here's a recent post explaining how to figure out how much you need / can use.

And here's a link to what supplementwatch has to say about glutamine.

Nat
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
Nat, my screen shows pictures a little dark. Is that a snake on your shoulders? Is it a pet?
Hey Arnie (who's no longer overweight!) That is a snake - a python to be exact.

I posted the full picture and an explanation in the Everything Else forum yesterday. What a rush!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...574#post1286574

Cheers,
Nat
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:19
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:
I have a body fat scale & according to it I've gone from 42% to 25%.
Well done Sarah. How long did it take you to lower your body fat? Did you measure from the time you started Atkins?

Some other people in the Atkins forum we saying that you need to be hydrated so the scale can measure your body fat accurately.

This past week I was taking alot of L-Glut but I think I will go back down to 15g per day.

Peace
red