Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:47
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

what exactly is the fat and oil fast? is the oil fast suppose to make you more regular?? i thiink i'm gonna do the egg fast also..
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 00:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey vpeach,
how did you go with the egg diet?
i've been eating eggs for so long i'm sick to DEATH of them i can't eat another one ever, which is too bad cause i lost weight really fast
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 01:12
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

Were you able to keep the weight off Alexxa? I didnt' do the Egg Fast..i really need to do it...or something...I dont know if i can ever tire of eggs..but i'm afraid to find out
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

after the egg fast i had a carb binge so i did gain the weight back however i lost it again when i went on the meat fast, i haven't yet gone back on the normal eating plan as i want to lose weight fast because summer is comming up.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 23:30
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

I'm starting the egg fast tomorrow..i'm desperate...i hope i can get the restuls you did. Hopefully i won't binge afterwards..wish me luck! you should post in my journal!!!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 02:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - General Lo-Carb
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation ReFeed

I guess I am sort of disturbed by the "refeed" thing...especially since I've suffered with BED (Binge Eating Disorder) for YEARS. I also agree that some can be using this as a way to just eat and eat on as many carbs as they can. Sometimes we want to rebel and just lose complete control over what we know is not a way to eat or live...because it is easier and it is also taboo.

Each time I binged it would be a situation where I was out of control, depressed and unable to find productive ways to handle my stress and depression...and it was sometimes a way to rebel when I resisted discipline in my life and felt like I could not maintain it.

My goal on Atkins has become not just lose weight as I've done this many times before, but to change my ways of eating and thinking.

I'd love to finally get to a point where I am not only in shape physically in a constant state but ALSO in an emotional/mental state. My disordered eating is a symptom of the way that I inefficiently deal with stress and depression...and I am ready to change for the better. I've been thin and miserable before...still a BED sufferer and with anorexic mindset & exercise bulimia to boot...

I guess with -some- here they may not know what it is like to suffer with BED or other emotional eating disorders (although I know that some here DO) so it is easy to want to use Atkins as a way to simply lose weight, create "refeeds" and so forth.

For me I take this all very seriously and can't imagine gorging on food this way on purpose...as when I have done this...it wasn't anything I preferred doing but again more of a desperate measure to self medicate emotionally. This is also unhealthy and shocking to the system and doesn't implement disciplinary training when one gorges on carbs like that for whatever reason.

When I first did Atkins a couple of years ago, I looked at Induction as a way to just lose weight quick...as it seems most people do because lets face it...it is very exciting to think about losing weight like its nobody's business the first few weeks to a month.

So yes, I was thrilled with the idea of losing quick, but I forgot about what Induction was really for psychologically.

It is a training stage to help people who have problems overeating, binge eating or any of the like, move out of the habit of "grazing" which is snacking all day long without any structure or discipline and to teach individuals how to take control over their carb intake which causes weight gain.

I know we aren't perfect, and cheating does happen but fitness is also a state of mind.

So even if one isn't losing weight right away the first few weeks or a month, the mental/emotional training is still a benefit you can learn and you can be sure that at least you won't be gaining weight and that you instead will gain some discipline and hopefully learn to apply it as a lifetime tool. I believe that is what the various Atkins stages are designed for- steady progress to change the way you think, eat and live...a holistic experience.

I hope I am not off topic here and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but I just wanted to share this with the board and express how I felt.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:22
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

So is BED when you are not satisfied after 1 meal? That you have to "graze" all day on whatever is around? I remember watching the news about a year ago and it was about a lil girl who was always eating..that she just cuoldn't stop.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - General Lo-Carb
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow Bingeing

*off topic tangent but related somewhat to refeeding*

Well all binges come differently.

"Grazing" is one form of bingeing in which you eat continously throughout the day with no clear stops or breaks...and by the end of the day you've consumed lots of calories and food.

"Blowouts" are another in which you don't eat all day but suddenly during one session you just go crazy and eat huge servings of food.

I've gone through various types of binges but they are all binges to me and the feeling and "inspiration" to trigger them so to speak is the same.

Bingeing is basically any situation in which you clearly feel out of control emotionally and use food to comfort yourself, and it is a consistent pattern in your life that causes stress, self deprecation, possibly weight gain (if you ONLY have BED), and depression.

I've used fanatic and extreme exercising along with anorexia to control my binge eating before. meaning that I ate very little to feel in control, then had a few binges here and there and exercised like obsessively to control any effects bingeing would have on my weight. It was a vicious and depressing cycle where you feel like eating, not eating, exercising, dieting, and inability to handle stress is all that life is about. I went through this for years. I was thin but extremely miserable and unhappy and I got down to a size 3/4 but still felt I was actually fat and needed to lose more.

I weigh a lot for what I actually look like and always have. For example right now I look more like I weigh 180 rather than 239 and when I was a size 3/4, I weighed in around 140-145. I stand 5'3" and a half. I knew better about my frame and how I don't fit the typical BMI chart standards, but I in my mind wanted to get down to 105 lbs ...which for ME is DEATHLY thin. I think weighing more than what you look like can psychologically impair one as they grow up and others around them look as they weigh. I have a very curvy and muscular build and more bone density so it makes me weigh a lot...plus a lot of weight goes to my chest when I gain weight and believe me these suckers can get heavy when you gain weight.

The binge eating eventually took over when I was going through various eating comorbidities all at once and that is when I gained a lot of weight and since then I've been losing and gaining weight back and forth with BED and am trying to get myself out of this emotional parasitic habit. It takes a whole reconditioning of your mindset because it just isn't about losing weight but changing the way you think and handle things.

I'm getting these though. I just have to be patient and throw away my all or nothing thinking and learn to be a better emotional problem solver.

I am always open to educating anyone on what BED is because many people do misunderstand it and simply see bingeing as being greedy and piggish when it is not a matter of hunger at all. Food is basically like a drug to BEDers.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:19

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 218/212/147 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Nooooooooooo

This thread worries me - surely using extreme diets to lose weight is not what low-carbing is about. All i have read suggests that LC is a way of life - 10 eggs a day with water ? you must know that can't be good for you. Go back and read your posts again Alexxa - you are punishing yourself with the food that you are allowing yourself to eat. You talk about feeling bad after the carbs - then straight away you are restricting yourself to a huge degree - almost like a punishment. And now you say you are going for a meat fast to quickly lose weight for summer. Just think - if you had lost 1-2 pounds a week (by sensibly LCing), for every week you ever tried a crazy diet - how much permanent weight loss would that be now. Cos for me it would be stones!

Take it slowly. Remember that inches count just as much as pounds. Measure yourself all over, weigh yourself once, then do induction and measure and weigh at the end of each week. Don't deny yourself all the wonderful food you can eat and still lose weight! Just think of all those eggs coming to getchya!

I tell myself - it took years to get this big - so I shouldn't be surprised at the thought it may take at least a year to get smaller!

Look after yourself hon'
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins, protein power
Stats: 210/201.2/140 Female 54
BF:
Progress: 13%

There is nothing really wrong with a refeed or as most call it carb loading...it is mainly used by bodybuilders or people who are into weightlifting and is only used mainly as an energy source for weightlifing. you follow the low-carb eating Mon through Fri and carb load on the weekends. either one day or 2 days and then back to Low carbing... However, your carb up should consist of healthy low glycemic carbs and low fat. < veggies,whole grain wheat products, lean meats, and low fat not doughnuts, candy etc> This is an integral part of the cyclical Keto diet.