Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 01:39
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
BEAR

how much would you sell 10 lb for???
busy,busy life working and homeschooling and all that...............
FYI... any meat processor will make jerky for you... out of bison or beef or whatever. Just make sure to tell them that you don't want salt in it (if, for instance, you did not). That is the longest/hardest part. Then, you just need to grind the jerky and add the liquid (rendered) fat.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 21:35

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Let's see- raw meat is ( I have no idea what it costs for bottom round where you are) let's say $ 10/lb. It takes six or seven lbs to make one lb jerky, so that is - $70/lb of jerky in material costs, the work to prepare is worth at least $25 for drying 35 lbs meat, and the cost of energy at least another few, suet at $1/lb or more, and you will need more than 5lbs, so the total would have to be around $375 min, but $400 would be more realistic, of course any business would need to charge at least $750 to $800/10 lbs to provide a profit. Do you mean that you are not willing to do this simple home kitchen task, but are willing to pay ~$40 or $80 a pound for something which could only feed you as a sole food for about a little more than a week? maybe 10-11 days? Unless the meat was bought at a very good wholesale price, and you have professional rotary slicers and a large thermostatically controlled drying box, it is just not practical as a business, and of course the FDA REQUIRES that nutrients all dried meat products be ruined by the compulsory treatment with nitrated/nitrited/salted brine and so forth.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 21:48

BF:
Progress:

Jerky when properly dry will powder in your fingers. All commercial 'food processors' in the US are forbidden by law to sell any dried or otherwise processed meat product which does not contain a specified content of salt, nitrate and nitrite. If they did so and you became sick from spoilage, they would lose their license and the owners would face fines and/or jail time. Trust me on this- I have been there, done that with processors for many year and in many places around the country. In addition, the control of temperature during drying is extremely critical in producing a proper, full-nutrient jerky, and no professional food processor is likely to be able to maintain such fine control of a process they are basically unfamiliar with. Virtually all will 'cook' the jerky like all the examples of commercial jerkies I have investigated. It is too bad, but that is the situation with modern bureaucratic government and business. It is even more controlled here in Oz due to some recent food poisoning events due salami-type products.

Last edited by theBear : Mon, Mar-27-06 at 21:50. Reason: mistakes
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Bear,

You are absolutely correct on these points about meat processors. Well, at least you could get the meat processor to thin slice the round for you. That is something that will save you a lot of time. Then, you can just lay the slices out in oven/dehydrator to dry. Bear, do you see any problems with doing it this way? This would save a lot of time. I sliced round to dry, and it did take a long time doing it by hand.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 00:14
Creating a new Me!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/252.0/170 Female 63 1/2 in
BF:TOO **** HIGH
Progress: 37%

I love homemade pemmican and just stopped by to see what revived this thread. Thanks Bear for some confirmation of my own personal preferences...I don't require it, but it is nice to have occasionally. Many people think the way I do things is a little unusual, to say the least.

I make my homemade pemmican very similar to what Bear shared. I make it in a dehydrator, but I like it best when jerky is dried hard and slow I leave it set on the 100 degree mark (F) a little higher. (close to Bear's stated temperature..though not exact) Round Steak/Roast is my favorite to use. But I have used other cuts when I find something that isn't too marbled. I haven't developed a source of good suet or beef fat, currently I save all my fat trimmings and render that for my fat source...but am looking into upgrading as I live in Cow Country

I recently discovered that a great way to eat it/snack it at work is to run hot water from our coffee machine..drop in a spoon or two of pemmican, stir and eat...anything from gruel consistency to soup broth. I don't spice any jerky I'm using for pemmican, although I will sometimes add spice when I am going to eat it (to the water or pan). I also like pemmican heated up without water in a skillet until the fat is just melted (use low heat).

I'm really new to LC (off and on since last September...consistent LC since January) and even newer to a very low-carb WOE...been primarily Meat, Eggs & Dairy since mid February. But I just thought I'd share my pemmican story
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 18:37

BF:
Progress:

Whoa, only slice the meat immediately before hanging to dry- otherwise the jerky will not keep well due to bacterial contamination from exposing the cut surfaces to the air. I always just used a nice sharp knife and had no problems (learn how to use a stone or diamond hand-lap keep your knives razor-sharp, Japanese knives are excellent). If you are going to do much of this processing a purpose built drying box and a deli-style rotary slicer are a very reasonable investment. Slicers sometimes can be found used at good prices from commercial kitchen-supply dealers. A nice new one here in Oz sells for A$800- quite a reasonable investment considering the overall high cost of making jerky. This kind of slicer has sharpening stones built-in and the machine is great for making steak tartare and deli-style super thin slices of cheese, etc. Cheese bought in rounds can be had from food wholesalers at significant savings over market prices. Cheese will keep very well (in fact it will improve) held at temperature of 50-54F (10-12C) a temperature which can be easily achieved with a small air conditioner in an insulated box.

100F is a bit low, and may encourage bacterial growth- think about the fever your body develops to kill off invading bacteria- usually it rises to at least 104F.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: Mine...
Stats: 000/165/190 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
It takes six or seven lbs to make one lb jerky.

Woah! 6 pounds of meat has a good deal over 1 pound in protein alone. 4-5 pounds to make 1 lb jerky would be more realistic. 4 pounds of eye of round is 390g protein, +18g of ash, that's 408 grams, pretty close to 1 pound, and that doesn't even include the unavoidable fat within the meat.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-07, 20:43

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

bump!

what a great thread..I am so glad I found it especially for this time of year..when feeling nesty...

..is anyone making pemmican now?

I have a question please
why not add spices or even salt or any kind of simple marinade drying meat you use in this and make it even more fun to eat? Would this be anti peleo?
salting and spicing meat before drying or smoking helps preserve it and if you do it yourself you dont have to use nitrates ...

I have made pemmican in very traditional methods and enjoyed the heck out of it..but I like things to hit the taste buds and make me feel happy that way too!

no matter where on earth people came from there were herbs and spices I am sure were ..yes?

I tell you I am having a blast preparing the ingredients to make what I think is going to be sock rocking pemmican!

so here is what I am working on now

I am making a Morrocan seasoned lamb jerky now I plan on pairing with dried sour cherries..dried apricots and walnuts ... using rendered lamb fat
would this be a Paleo pemmican you think? because it is seriously going to have outstanding flavor and be easily transported for some up coming mushroom hunting adventures

second pemmican
a mesquite smoked red chile beef jerky mixed with
dried peaches and pecans with rendered suet

next batch is going to be garam masala I have just ordered a goat from a local Halal butcher so I will use part of that that to make this

I believe in the healing power of herbs and spices

I do have to say I grind my own from whole seeds and yes mostly use a mortar and pestal because cooking is my passion I like things that take a lot of time and effort to prepare..but in a pinch I have used an electric coffee grinder..I do my own mixes to avoid anything hidden in premixed curry spices ect ..and I can assure freshness and control the flavors that way...

I have not made pemmican in years!
I am stoked..it really is great snack and travel food ...portable lunch ..however I could not subsist on it only ..I like fresh foods way too much for that .

Last edited by Heidihi : Mon, Oct-29-07 at 07:12.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 06:30

BF:

my husband and sons say my pemmican is like a giant meat brownie funny!

they were thrilled with this batch ..time to dry more meat

I am not smoking the next batch the smoke is too overwhelming for lamb i think
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 13:43

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

A meat brownie?! Sounds interesting. Is it really sweet?
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 14:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd love to try making it someday.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 15:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
A meat brownie?! Sounds interesting. Is it really sweet?

Kind of it has sweet bits of fruit in it ..it is good you should make it ..18473 times better than an Atkins bar!

they are not chocolatey but I could see doing a mole' flavored pemmican!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 20:11

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

As close to "pemmican" as I've gotten:

#104   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 07:21

BF:

there you go why make your own when you can buy it in a package eh?
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 08:42

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidihi
there you go why make your own when you can buy it in a package eh?

Well, I don't know how this would compare to real pemmican.... but it makes a tasty snack.