Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Bcbeauty...It's tough finding all the things a low carber needs in the big chains but it's getting better. I did the same thing when I started induction...Looked at all the labels. Drove my husband nuts. This forum was a big help in finding low carb products and where to get them. Since you're on induction, you've pretty much got to stick to the acceptable foods list that Dr Atkins has in his book. What I did was print it up from his webiste so that when I went to the grocery store, I was able to look at the list and it made life a lot easier.

When I did my first induction I kept hard boiled eggs on hand in the fridge for a quick breakfast or snack...but don't over do it...it's really easy to get tired of eggs. SF (sugar free) jello is another thing that's great to have. The stuff you buy in the store has Aspertame in it but for some people, they don't mind. Other people buy Kool Aid and Knox gelatin to make jello.

There have been a few places that people have come to find have LC products.

Nature's Fare - Orchard Plaza - a tad expensive but they have a little LC section with bars, bake mixes, syrups, jams, chips, ketchup, Carbolite candies, Ross chocolate bars...etc

Save On Foods - SF ice cream (can't remember the brand), LC bread (carb conscious), Sugar Free ED Smith Jams, Atkins bars and mixes. Kind of expensive here but look for sales

Superstore - if you can stand it being busy, this is the cheapest place for atkins bars, 15 bars for $29.99 ($2 each) and you can choose the flavours you like. They have ED smith SF Jams, Presidents Choice Mayo is one of the lower carb mayos, Atkins Bread, Chapmans SF ice cream sometimes.

Safeway and IGA also carry some Atkins stuff but it's pricey like Save on.

Sunshine Market - PurpleRain says they have a large selection of LC products but I haven't been there yet.

GNC - again fairly expensive but they have a big variety of LC products.

Costco - Atkins Advantage chocolate lovers variety box. 29.99 for one box of 15. Atkins Endulge caramel nut chew box of 15 for 19.99. Talking Rain soda made with splenda 24 pack for 17.99 or something like that. Yummy. Splenda 3 boxes for around $13. Pork rinds if you like em (they just sound gross to me). I buy buffalo wings there too.

If you do a search of these forums you can find a lot of information on specific products.

Hope this helps a little.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 23:17
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Thanks for all the info Allikins, because yes I am going insane. lol. I'm a little overwhelmed with the induction thing right now . Its very limited . And like you said I am overdoing the eggs. Well just for breaky anyway.
It will be a while before I can try all the jams and breads and evthing as I just started.I think I might try to do induction a little longer than 2 weeks.
Again thank you and keep in touch!!

Pam
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 01:42

Stats: 275/250/160 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all. Glad that I found this thread.
I'm about 90 miles south of Kelowna on a mountainside just out of Rock Creek. I've been doing Atkins since Dec 9 and have lost about 25 lbs. Still a long way to go, but am finding it pretty easy to stay on course.
Thanks for posting all the stores to look for low-carb products. I'm really not into them as I love to cook and make my own food, but wouldn't mind having a few goodies on hand for emergencies.
Will probably be in the city in the next couple of weeks to stock up on groceries, vitamins and cleaning supplies at Costco.
Continued good luck to you all.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:
Default gordon drive

Great advice everyoen.. cool.

I also tried to find Talking Rain but couldn't.. what I did find though is Jone's Soda sweetened with splanda.. the cream soda is awesome.. and they have a couple of new herbal ones (grapefruit and peach I think).

Anyway, I found these at this store that I had heard about and have been looking for, it's on gordon drive, guichagan village? I get all my fish at codfather and new york steaks were on sale at the butcher.. and there's a low carb market just opening there. I tried this jones soda, it was sooo good..cream soda reminded me of cotton candy as a kid!

Prices seem good, the soda 1.48 and atkins bars were 1.89..

lots of cool stuff to try and the girl there had samples of soy chips and salsa which was soooooooo delicious.

Anyway, I also tried GNC and Sunshine Market but foudn way too expensive.

I love the posts.. am getting a lot out of it (and losing a lot too!! Like 15 lbs so far in the last 3 weeks!!)
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:
Default gordon drive

Oh ya, I also got low carb bread at this store for $2.39/loaf!!!
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 12:20
Memere to 4

Hi ya Lexi and Bri. Welcome! welcome!
Always glad to see more Okanaganites around here. Please feel welcome to come to my journal anytime you wanna yack or share secrets...he he he. Sounds like you are both doing dandy. I.m kinda stuck. Don't know what my problem is. 5 lbs. in 18 days. And I'm on strict induction. Consider opening journals so we other folks can come say hi and bug ya! hehehe! Take care !
And Bri thanks for the location of the new lc store. I'll be all over that.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 18:02
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Bri - & welcome;

Can you please tell us the name of the store? I shop at Guisachan Village all the time, but can't figure out which store you're talking about. Maybe I've just been looking without seeing.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 21:47

BF:

I'll have to check it out eventually. Had to look up where Guisachan Village was even though I've lived here over a year. I went to Vancouver but didn't go to any of the LC stores. We didn't go across the border either. Oh well...maybe next time.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:34
Memere to 4

Hi I went to the new lc store after Bri told us about it. I believe it is just called Low Carb foods but I'm not sure.
It is however between the chocolaterie and L & D Meats
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi all;

The store is actually called Low Carb Lifestyles Market, and it is the one that "Smiler" spoke about opening. It is in the "breezeway" at Guisachan, around the corner and across from the travel agency, (and yes-that is between Bernard Callibeau and L&D Meats).

Sarah (aka Smiler) is the owner, and is most helpful. Hope you all drop in to say hi. Her prices are competetive, and she says they'll remain that way or lower. She will be carrying DaVinci syrups, but they haven't arrived yet.
And Bri -she also has "Taking Rain".

So - lets all of us Okanaganites get over there and help to get her up and running.

Lorraine

PS: Telephone # is 250-860-SLIM (7546)

Last edited by PurpleRain : Wed, Mar-17-04 at 18:36.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 21:26

BF:

visited the LC place today. Didn't buy anything because I didn't need anything right now...and I'm flat broke. But, when I need some stuff, I'll definitely go back. She has a nice variety of Atkins stuff and the prices are decent. I can't wait till she gets some DaVinci syrups in. I have the SF lemon tea. Yum. I'd like other flavours to use on my home made ice cream.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:10
Memere to 4

Home made ice cream? Please alli do tell...heh heh heh!Yummmm
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 21:33

BF:

My hubby bought me an ice cream maker for Christmas because I've been asking for one since I started LCing. I have made hubby regular ice cream and for myself I have made a few LC ice creams. Of course, when you put LC ice cream in the freezer it freezes really hard because there isn't any sugar. I just let it sit on the counter for a bit so it melts. But, if you eat some ice cream right when you make it, it's soooo good. I've made strawberry and chocolate.

I plan on experimenting more this summer. It gets so hot here an ice cream treat is definitely needed.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey everyone;

Hope you've all been out to shop at Smiler's store - Lowcarb Lifestyles Market.

Just thought I'd let you know that I just posted a recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (if you're interested) at

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...790#post1987790

Lorraine
  #75   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 17:36
Memere to 4

Hey all Okanaganites! I just wanted to bring this thread to the front a it was on page 6 Is there really this few of us??