Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 06:47

Plan: modified sommersizing
Stats: 150/143.5/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

hey mamabeek
I am also a full time college student (my last year!!) and I am working on a routine so I'm not starving by the time my classes are over. I have a routine where I get lunch but I still find I am too hungry by the time I get home.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:29

Plan: Susanne Somers
Stats: 220/210/120 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 10%

Suzanne's protein bars are pricey, but they could solve the problem of being too hungry before you get home . . . or just bring some cheese to nibble . . . or eat a larger lunch.

A holliday thread would be great. I don't have the experience to draw from but would love to hear from those who do.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%

The holiday problem for me will be, my mother, who will be insulted if I don't eat what is offered. She does know better, but food is love, isn't it? Then it becomes, "well, just cheat, this one time...." And then that one time becomes the week from Christmas to NY's eve.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:16

BF:

I haven't seen SS bars anywhere - I do use Atkins Chocolate Decadance- they are the least offensive I have found. There are others - like Carbwise - that are excellent, except they kick in my craving for sweet stuff.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:31

BF:

I don't have any experience with Suzanne's bars, but they are supposed to be exactly right for Somersizing. The only place to get them is at suzannesomers.com right now, but they are talking about getting products out into the store in the future. I hope so, at least we can save shipping, and someone may even discount them.

I have only used her Somersweet sweetener. It definitely is tasty. I ordered some of the protein drinks. I know you can make your own cheaper, but I wanted to taste the original first and see what I am aiming at. Her products are probably quite delicious, but money would need to no object to be using them all.

String cheese often comes individually packed and could work for a take along snack. I generally have a little cooler with me when I go out, at least keeping it in the car, so I just take some cut up cheese in a jar. Don't know how long you can keep it in your purse. Perhaps a very small lunch type insulated bag with an icette.

S.J. just let her be insulted . . . and bring along a great somersize recipe or two so you won't feel deprived. Everyone else will love it, too (that may be your main problem, having enough). You probably give in mostly because you don't want to be deprived either . . . so bring yourself some legal treats.

I would let her know that I was doing it and not just show up with the food. Give her time to think about it so she won't be so insulted.

I have only been somersizing a few weeks, but I have been on special diets because of allergies and chemical sensitivities for a long time, so I am used to not eatting much of what is served.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 14:48

BF:

she has chocolate bars on her website. she says that protein bars are coming and that was what I was looking for.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 16:02

BF:

Oh, sorry . . . she talks about it so much in her latest book that I just assumed that she was selling them.

I used to nibble nuts and raw carrots between meals and was quite shocked to find out that I couldn't have these things that I thought were such healthy snacks. I do love to nibble on cheese though. Snack food is what this woe seems to be low on. Especially things that go crunch when you bite into them.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 17:38
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

sjmom, if your mother is going to pull a guilt trip on you to try to get you to eat foods that will make you put on weight, turn the tables on her and do the same: "Mom, if you loved me, you wouldn't try to coerce me into eating foods that will make me fat."
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%

Lil, and Donna, After editing a large reply, I read my thoughts and learned that the stress of the upcoming holiday season , not necessarily the food is my problem. You see that with only 10 lbs or less to lose, no one will take me seriously. I have to learn to deal with the stress and not use it as an excuse to binge....cause once I start I don't stop. I have very bad feet and have had multiple surgeries. It keeps me from exercising and being active. The extra holiday activities usually hurt me. Every lb I lose will make walking and standing easier. That will be my reason at the dinners and parties. No one will argue with that!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 15:26

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 580/451/165 Female 5ft 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Somersizing

Hi everyone! I'm really glad to see such a wonderful lot of peole. I thought when I first started this that no one realized what I was going through. My story is a lot like all the others. I have always had a weight problem. At first it was just a few pounds. I would exercise and watch what I ate and it would work. Then I would gain it back and a little more. Before I knew it....and three kids later...I had yo-yoed out of sight. I also found out that I have a low thyroid and have to take meds for it. Isn't that great. Well, I have tried every diet I think invented. Some times the diets are the same they just change the name. I started on SS in July of this year. I went to my daughter's for a visit and she had one of SS's book. I read it and while I was there she got me started. I couldn't believe I could eat like she was telling me but, I tried it. I felt great and before I knew it I had bought all of SS's books. I have the recipes printed out and have them in a notebook in my kitchen. I love this way of eating. I don't ever feel deprived. I think this is the easiest way of eating I have ever known. It made so much sense to me. To make a long story short, I have lost over 60 pounds since July. I have a lot more to go but I know that it will come off. I don't even think about food anymore. It's the craziest thing. I no longer clock watch to eat. When I'm hungry....and I actually get regular hunger pangs now, I eat. I follow the plan completely. I eat Level I and will until my weight is normal. I feel great. I also have bad knees and the weight loss has helped tremendously. So, I'm glad to be aboard and hope to help anyone else who might need a little encouragement. I'm here to listen.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 18:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Bloved,
It's great to see you here!! WOW, 60 pounds, I am impressed. I also have low thyroid, and I found that adding a little Cytomel to my Synthroid or Levoxyl has helped my energy level a lot. Welcome aboard.

Sandy
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 23:16

BF:
Thumbs up

Welcome, Bloved. Wow 60 pounds you have done great. I have been Somersizing since September and have lost 10 pounds. Wish I could say it was 60. My knees would like that.

I am glad to hear that your knees have improved with your weight loss. My knees can't wait for me to loose a lot more weight.

You are right, this is the easiest way to stick with a weight loss plan. You can get your treats without cheating, which can lead to binging and gaining the weight back, so I think that will make it easy to stick with this plan in the long term. I have actually gotten more adventurous in cooking since I have been on the plan. The food is very tasty.

I also have to take thyroid medication. Whether or not you need a little Cytomel in addition to your Synthroid or Levoxyl depends on your lab test for T3 and T4. I forget which is which, but I believe the Synthroid and Levoxyl are T3. The body uses T4 and creates this out of T3 Synthroid. Some people, however, do not do this efficiently and need to suppliment with a little T4 or Cytomel. Other people create all of the T4 they need from the Synthroid.

Sandy, my guess is that you go to some form of alternative medicine doctor, like me, if you know about Cytomel. Most doctors never mention it.

I am also doing the Doctor Phil Weight Loss Challenge. I am following the Somersize eating plan, but Dr Phil is helping me deal with the issues of why I am overweight. The two together are are really helping . . . slowly but surely. I am not loosing as fast as you.

Glad to have you with us, Bloved. Keep up the good work.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:26

BF:

Hi Donna and Sandy, thanks for the kind words. I'm going to the Dr's on Tuesday of this week armed with a lot of information that I have read about my thyroid. I want to make sure I am getting everything I need. I do have more energy since I started SS. I still have pain in my knees but not quite as severe as before. I have problems moving from sitting to standing and vice versa. Too much wear and tear and age on these old bones. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. I'm planning on trying out some new recipes and have a SS dinner everyone can eat and enjoy. I hope all are doing okay. I'm still losing as my clothes are beginning to drop off. I don't weigh often because it kills my knees to have to climb on the stairs and keep them together. I also have other health problems that I believe started from my thyroid problem not being diagnosed right away. Heart problems and fluid retention also is a hindrance. But hey, I'm not trying to complain here. I feel great and with the medicines I take I am what the dr calls "stable". No chestpain in quite a while. So, everyone hang in there.......I know I am. I'm in here for life.....mine.... So, until later
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:02

BF:

I'm sure the weight loss will help your knees, but have you tried a knee brace as well? The kind you get someplace like Walmart pharmacy. They can help alot. Get them with a hole for where the knee sticks out. My knees feel a lot better since I have been wearing them. Mine are elastic.

Donna
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 17:36

BF:

I'll give the knee brace thing a try. It's a little difficult getting one to fit me. I'm not only heavy but a tall woman. Most things are made for a smaller woman all the way around. My knees seem to have good and bad days. The days I overdo I pay for it. I've tried Vioxx, Celebrex and Bextra. They address certain aspects but the wear and tear damage is not helped. Besides.....they make me swell something fierce. Until later....