Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326/241/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

I have had success with the fat fast. Am on it right now (Atkins suggest 5 days, does anyone know if it is okay to do it longer?) Have not tried the meat fast. How much meat are you supposed to eat per day?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:46

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

Would it be wise to do the meat fast while on induction?
I'd really like to try it for a day because the weight just isn't coming off that fast.........what do ya'll think?
Pati
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patigayle
Would it be wise to do the meat fast while on induction?
I'd really like to try it for a day because the weight just isn't coming off that fast.........what do ya'll think?
Pati

Not wise at all IMNSHO. Things like the Meat Fast are meant to be used only when stalled. And a stall means no pounds or inches lost for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Your weight actually IS coming off fast, even if you don't realise it. It's unfortunate that Dr Atkins makes such a big deal in his book about people losing huge amounts during Induction. People can lose huge amounts, but without exception they are folk who have very large amounts to lose. People like you, with somewhat smaller amounts to lose, will inevitably lose more slowly.

What does seem to happen is that people will lose on average about 10% of the weight they need to lose during Induction. You have already lost 16% - well done! (See what I mean about your weight coming off fast? )

And after Induction, we only lose (on average - we are all different) about 5% of the weight we need to lose per month. So it might help to realise that this truly is a way of life, not just a quick loss diet.

HTH

Rosebud
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:35

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have done Stillmans several times for about 5 days. Once I did it for 2 weeks with an Atkins weekend in the middle. It is very effective at breaking stalls but very, very boring.

Also it is not as low fat as it is made out to be. My fitday from when I was doing it shows that I was still getting about half my calories form fat. There's fat in eggs, meat (even lean meat) and fish.

After a week on Stillamns a big green salad seems like a real treat.

By the way a warning to anyone who is thinking of doing Stillmans. You will get very constipated so be prepared with some laxatives or you could make yourself ill.

Good luck Wa'il!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:39

P.S. I once asked for a Stillmans forum and you politely refused - maybe you'll rethink now you're a convert LOL!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:33

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

thanks for your input, Rosebud............I guess I needed to hear that !
pati
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:52
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
P.S. I once asked for a Stillmans forum and you politely refused - maybe you'll rethink now you're a convert LOL!

Robert, if you're referring to Wa'il's post, go back and check the date.

Roz
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 22:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well, not one of you have addressed my question. Some of you tried to answer assuming I have expertise in Stillman's, which I know nothing about. When writing to someone about something one must not assume the receipient knows what you know. In fact, PatyGayle in essence started her own thread within mine. Please learn how to start your own thread if you have your own question. Anyway, thanks for the effort but please if someone starts a thread please focus on answering the question instead of going of on a tangent.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 22:24
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi there btmncrt,

I don't quite understand why you are so cross with Patigayle. This thread was actually started by r.mines in November 2000. And you are both very welcome to ask questions within this old thread.

The only information I have on the Meat Fast is here: http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/LowcarbingDream/meat.html

HTH!

Rosebud
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 08:28

Oh my! Silly me! Thanks Ros.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 21:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Dear Rosebud. You are misinformed. The thread was started by me. Look at the top. You are writing about a different thread. I did not mean to be cross or whatever the word you used. I am new to this website and am not really sure how it is to be used. I have noticed a lot of people use it for religeous and political prostelytysing and social gossip. Certainly nothing wrong with that but I did not understand that to be the purpose of the website. I thought the purpose was to learn and share information about low carbing. I just think that if someone wants to ask there own question they should start their own thread to ask there question, not hijack someone else's question which shifts the focus away from the question asked. My question was not whether one should do a meat fast but how to do one. Thank you for your information. I have had to wade though about 8 or 9 responses to get one that actually addressed my question. In fact the very last one, the one after yours, has absolutely nothing to do with low carbing or my question. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with anything. Regarding the cryptic remarks of the people who reference the Stillman' diet, my comments, as a writer, were meant to remind or instruct people that when communicating an idea if you communicate something where you assume the receipient knows something, who does not, one communicates nothing.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 21:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Weel Rosebud, upon further scrutiny, we are both right. I started the a thread but the website combined it with the thread of r. simes which basically asked the same question. When I have come to the thread, it goes immeidatly to my first question. In any event everything that came after my question was either non responsive or not understandable. I don't know if most of the people using the website have lots of time to waste; but, assuming they don't I just think this website if more effective and efficient if people stick to the topic and communicate in a manner which can be understood. But then, what do I know, I am frequently wrong about things.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 21:49
Forum Moderator

BF:

Btmncrt, I reiterate, you did not start this thread.

You did however, start this one on the same subject.

If you are ever not sure where your particular posts are, just click on at the bottom of any of your posts.

Rosebud
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 18:48

Stats: 252/232/130 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi guys -

Your posts have been very interesting. I was wondering if anyone who has done or is doing the Fat Fast has sample menu. I would like to get some ideas - some motivation!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 18:59
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Michelle,

I only tried the Fat Fast once, and I have to say I found it pretty hard going. I simply followed the foods as mentioned by Dr A in Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution.
I found the Meat Fast a lot easier, and it worked too. You might also be interested in trying the Stillman's Diet.

I'd also suggest before you try anything as drastic as these, have a look here at The Plateau Buster's Checklist.

Cheers.

Rosebud