Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 09:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Default New to CAD...

Hello, I just switched from a general LC/Atkins plan over to CAD/CALP on Monday. I read through CALP but was unable to find CAD yet anywhere.

I think I get the basics, but I'm having a really hard time with a few things and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from anyone and everyone who is on this plan!

And Zule, you were reccommended highly as the expert on this, so I thought I'd jump in on this forum and get under your wing a bit. I have your cheat sheet already and it is a great help to me. I'm just not really believing, I guess...I'm a terrible food addict, and when someone tells me I can HAVE something I haven't been able to eat for the longest time...well, there's just no "balancing" that.

Last night I had a New York steak, one grilled zucchini, small salad and water...then WAY too many scones with my coffee and a little ice cream. I was grabbing for any last little morsel I could stuff in before my time was up! It was a feeding frenzy...which I know will have to end right there.

My breakfast was some leftover meat and veggies with 2 eggs in butter. And lunch was a large chicken caesar salad. I was TERRIBLY weak and shakey an hour after each one...all three days I've been on this, I've had extreme low blood sugar blues...finally had to eat a chunk of cheese, which held me another hour or two. I really have to watch that, but not being allowed to eat in between meals is not realistic for me. I get terrible symptoms, and finally grab anything that's available.

But I feel that my control has been greatly challenged and that it was almost easier to have NONE of that stuff, except as a treat once in a while. With the freedom of eating treats every day, I'm now up to 189.

I know I'll have to average this out on Monday, and it is TOM, so it's possible I'll have some good news. But can I hear from some people that have actually re-gained control over the RM's and have lost a significan't amount of weight on CAD??

I'm excited, but really kind of concerned about my ability to get this together and make it something reasonable. Would love some feedback and support... thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:06

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Welcome Donna: I am sure our resident expert on whom we all wait for the best advice will be around soon. In the mean time I share my 2 cents worth. I believe I am one of those who has lost a significant amount of weight and gained control over reward meals. Visit my journal if you like.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding the CAD book. It was out of print for awhile, but recently came back out with a whole section added about reward meal balance.

I lost 25lb last year on this program while never balancing a reward meal. This year when I restarted (having gained back over 10 lbs) I was unable to lose weight until I began balancing my reward meals. I was just like you, watching the clock and making sure I got in all the carbs I could within an hour. The reward meal balance will come when your insulin levels balance...give it a few weeks. Eventually it will just become a meal where you can have carbs if you want. I know that's hard to believe, but some days you won't even want carbs at reward meal!!!

When I returned to program I had about 3-5 days of afternoon nausea and shakiness, my body tried to tell me the best solution would be chocolate or coffee with whitener and cream. LOL. But my brain knew better. The withdrawl symptoms generally only last a few days if your "doing the program clean" as Zuleikaa says.

I believe CALP is a program that you progress in. I also believe it is a great program you can do for the rest of your life. I know I plan to.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Gosh, thanks Jalera...that's so comforting...

I am hanging on the hope that some day I will be able to regain some control, and maybe some days not even want to have that treat.

I'm glad to hear of your success...and your symptoms sound identical to mine...so I'm thrilled to hear that they do subside.

Thanks for the quick reply...I'm so desperate to hear some input, I keep checking back in every few hours or so!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Donna
Welcome to CAD. I have lost most of my weight with CAD. I have been on CAD for about 8-10 years. I have SAD so I regain weight in the winter.

You will gain control of your reward meal and of your craving for carbs on CAD/CALP. Believe. Some things you need to take on faith. Give it a couple of weeks doing it clean and strict and you will be amazed. Meanwhile you need to get through three days of weakness, headaches, cravings etc. and you will be fine. Even though you were on Atkins which is lc, it was keeping your insulin levels high and that is what you're getting under control and reacting to now.

Don't worry about your seeming desperation at RM. That is a common feeling and behavior for newbies to CAD/CALP. We call in the "kid in the candy store" syndrome and it will pass when you finally accept that each and every day you can have a Reward Meal and that the foods you love won't disappear if you leave some for the next day. When you trust CAD and trust the control and see the weight loss, you will find peace and become surprised and accepting of how picky you become as to what foods are included in your Reward Meal.

Trust yourself, run a clean program and trust CAD. You will find that you have control over food for perhaps the first time in your life. You will learn what it feels like to be "normal" toward food.

Good luck!!! We will be here for you!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 12:12.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:44

Plan: cad
Stats: 256/256/200 Female 5' 3"
BF:51%/51%/?
Progress: 0%

Hi I am not in the catagory of keeping my RM balanced but I do find that having a decaff with cream sorts out the Low sugar problems,we are only allowed 1 a day but I love it.

So welcome and I really hope you enjoy this as much as I am.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 19:31

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Welcome to CADland-I just want to emphasize that the reward meal will work itself out. Make sure you keep to the hour and keep the cm's clean. The RM will just become another meal, but a meal where you don't have to deprive yourself because you want to be healthy. Enjoy it-its not going anywhere!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:22
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the replies! I must confess that I did not "balance" my RM once again to the point of being terribly sick...lots of pain in the stomach last night...so today I'm much more conscious of moderation. I believe you, Donna, that this will work itself into being just another meal. When I can get off the free-for-all kick!

I'm glad to know there's even a term for this newbie period...that means it happens to most and most overcome it! Yay!!

About the low blood sugar, I think I will switch over to a decaf in the afternoon if I need it...but I just can't finish a cuppa coffee in 15 minutes...especially in the morning. That's my breakfast, sort of, and it takes me a good long hour to drink it. How bad is this???

Thanks again for your help...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:01
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Coffee taking an hour....really, really, really, really bad!!! That's probably what's causing your crash!!

I love this stuff. Not just you but I listen to people say they are following the program, every step...except for..X.

CAD is a very delicate chemical balance that works to control insulin levels. Break the rules, no control. CAs have a faulty insulin release mechanism. They release too much insulin for the amount of food called for. This too much insulin release wipes the blood of sugar and causes the crash!!

Every rule should be followed in the beginning for at least two weeks. After that you can add in some sf or stallers, if you want, to see if you react. These should be added no more than one every few days and if they cause you to stall they need to be taken back out.

Every newbie thinks they're different. And we are all the same!!! Some tolerate more but everyone should follow all the rules absolutely for two weeks!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:26
Registered Member

Oh dear... I knew you were going to say that, Zule... My beloved morning routine is so much a part of me... actually, I'm still on the same big cuppa coffee at noon that I started when I got up...

I can't think of guzzling down my morning coffee in 15 minutes I mean, what will I do after that???

But alas, I do want to give this a proper chance... I do have to tell you how hard this will be though... it's not just a simple adjustment for me... it's like telling a lifetime smoker to just quit and do something different tomorrow ... this has always been a morning pleasure for me...what do I do?? I don't drink the coffee for the caffeine necessarily...I just enjoy the drink, which usually gets me through the better part of the morning without needing any food...

Oh brother...there must be a less painful way to do this...

So far, aside from my cuppa, I've had 2 eggs and some cauliflour sauteed in butter and parsley, with some cheddar cheese on top. That's my first meal of the day and did make me full. Now to get through till 3:00 or so...

I'm hard-headed, I'll confess...but I do appreciate your straight talk on how to do this plan.... I need to hear it over and over I guess... coffee has always been an issue for me.

Last edited by DDMariana : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 13:29.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 16:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Eat something instead. You'll find that without the coffee, the food will hold you. Remember to eat enough when you eat and that the CS is there if you need it. perhaps you can have a small cup of coffee black no sugar, no AS every three hours. You still have to drink it fast though.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 22:55

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Welcome!

Believe me, nobody can guzzle diet soda like I can. I thought my life line had been cut when I realized I could not have that soda in my hand all day as I have been accustomed for many, many years. I drink it at RM and a very occasional CM. If I can do that, you can cut your coffee. You have to to do this plan. If you cannot drink it in 15 min., maybe you will have to just cut it out altogether. IT'S NOT GOING TO BE EASY! We will be here to listen to whine, whine, whine everyday until one day it starts getting easier and you're ok again. They say you have to repeat a behaviour many times (there's a number I don't know) for a permanent change. Just start with one day and then do another day and keep going. You can do it.

Use the forum for support. You're going to need it. And remember, when you get a space under Zule's wing, you are in a good place. She's going to cheer you on like crazy, celebrate your successes and tell you like it is...honestly and bluntly. We need it and she does it with the greatest love.

Go for it....start tomorrow..

Welcome,
Deb
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 05:23

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

DD Im like you. I have the worst time drinking my coffee in 15 mins. Im at work and dealing with customers so its almost impossible.

Think of it this way though.. If the whole premise of cads diet is to only let your insulin rise 3 times a day and everytime you put something in your mouth it rises.... and the diet wont work if the insulin isnt stable. Well that just shows that a simple thing like sipping on coffe or anything but water for that matter all day long will make it impossible for the diet to work. I know sipping coffee seems like such a little thing but in truth its the ENTIRE basis of the diet . we on cad cant do *anything* all day.. no drinks , no snacking on a peanut here and a almond there an hr later. No taste testing while cooking. (that is a killer for me)

I just think of it as I can only put something in my mouth three times a day.

BTW I did have a question about coffee Zule.

If you skip your lunch can you have a second coffee in its place? lol. Im thinking no , but why exactly not?

Having said that... I almost never finish my coffee in 15 mins, but if it goes over a half hr I make myself throw it away. I do notice a difference in cravings if I go over 15 mins, but it doesnt seem to stall the weight loss. just makes me suffer all day wanting a snack.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 05:49
Finding the Pieces

BF:

If you skip your lunch you can have a second cup in it's place. I would try to have it with full cream though, less carbs.

Just think of the relief you'd feed and the weight you'd lose without going over the 15 minutes. Is is worth it?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 09:44
Registered Member

Okee-dokey...I'm sitting here at 8:40 with my morning cuppa. I'm going to give this a shot. I WAY overate at my RM last night and am up to 189 today...I guess I need to start nipping and tucking.

The coffee part of this will be the hardest. I woke up with a severe migraine early this morning because I didn't have any other coffee yesterday after my first cup. (seeee....I'm trying!!!)

Today, I will have to find SOMETHING to drink here and there...although I do get my water in easily, I still want to curb my appetite sometimes with a small iced tea or something... is it the caffeine that's the insulin simulant we don't want? Then my iced tea has to be decaf? Or none at all?

Oh well...I'm signing off to give my full attention to my beloved morning brew...

Thanks Deb and Jaden for your encouragement...and as always, Zule, you rule! Glad I finally made that first post over here!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 11:54

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Deb