Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

I think we do spend more but I am the only one low carbing in my family so we are basically buying for two different type diets. One thing that has helped is we figured out when one of the supermarkets we go to marks the meat down for quick sell and we go that day, stock up, eat some that day and freeze the rest.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 19:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

I spend about the same as before; but I'm sure that the future will be less, when the price of medicine is included. I don't think I'll be spending as much or more on drugs as I do groceries, like most people my age do now. I just feel too good to ever need drugs.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 09:53
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Geez, I'm saving tons of money. I buy lots of meat, which is expensive, but I am no longer making 2-3 trips a week to Bread & Circus for made in advance dinners (with a stop at their bakery, of course) or going out to dinner several times a month. My own food tastes better so we eat at home.

This morning I made a fresh tomato and onion quiche (crustless, of course) that I'll just have to heat up tonight.

My husband and I spend about $75 a week on food. Before, we were close to doubling that.

Oh, and as 322432 mentioned above, I am spending $50-$75 less a month on prescription drugs. My allergy/asthma symptoms are rapidly disappearing, even though I still have the three cats to whom I am supposedly allergic.

And I imagine the money I will save on clothing when I no longer have to alternate between entire wardrobes of different sizes.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 10:01

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have found that my food bill is less too. The junk food is what cost so much. I buy a few LC products, I like to have pancakes and the muffins, shakes and that is about it.

I hope you can find a way to stay on the WOE.

have a good day,

Linda
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Neanderthin
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I agree that this WOE is cheaper. No more packaged stuff or fast food. I just buy fresh meat, eggs, cheese, coffee, and vegetables. I buy olive oil in bulk. If I want anything else I make it myself out of acceptable ingredients (like mayonnaise). I don't buy any low-carb products.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 20:33

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

i totally agree that this low carb diet is very expensive. For me alone it may not be so bad but i talked my boyfriend into eating this way and he has a hollow leg. The high protein doesnt seem to be slowing his appetite either. It is even worse because we are kind of health food fanatics (we were both previously vegetarians thinking that that was healthy, duh) and we try to buy grain or grass fed meat without antibiotics and the suped up eggs with omega 3 and only organic produce and for some unknown reason this stuff is really expensive. 1lb grain fed ground beef = 4.99/lb, 1lb regular store bought ground beef = 1.99/lb. Last month we spent close to $800 on food for just the 2 of us. We are not anywhere near being rich so this is utterly ridiculous. we go shopping like 3-5 times a week and seem to never have that much food in the house. You can not stock up on meat and veggies as well as you can pasta and rice(i would never go back to the old woe though) i just wish you could find more REAL food at the normal grocery store without additives and preservatives and at a more reasonable price.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-04, 11:38

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Last time I did atkins (was on for 1 year) I went off because of the cost of food. My grocery bill tripled. Both DH and I were use to no breakfast, cheese sandwiches for lunch and some type of frozen food for dinner ... average weekly cost £30 currently i do NOT buy any lc garbage foods ONLY frozen veg and on sale/cheap cuts of meat, store brand bulk cheese, plain ol regular eggs and am spending £100 a week. I agree after your on it proces go down as you learn to shop better 9when i first started i averaged £200 per week) but it is still WAY more expensive then NON lc. I think a LOT of it depends on where you live and what's available to you. When I lived in the US I had no problems feeding a family of 3 on this WoL for under $50 a week.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-04, 02:47

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggen
When I lived in the US I had no problems feeding a family of 3 on this WoL for under $50 a week.

I'd like to know where you shopped where you could feed a family of 3 for $50 a week! For a week (7 days) and 3 meals a day that comes out to 42 cents for a whole meal!
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 00:29
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Spending more on groceries, yes
but spending less on medication too
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 06:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i am not going to argue that meat costs more than grains. however, the money i save by not buying 2-3 bags of chips ahoy cookies every weeks adds up! the fact that i buy more produce, more lean meat and less fatty, carby snacks is a benefit of the woe that i am more than happy to pay for!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 00:19
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 199/???/149 Female 5'6"
BF:37/??/24
Progress: 9%

Produce, meat, nuts, spices and oils; they all add up to less per month than I was spending on all the processed foods. Quality over quantity for me.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 07:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

I find I'm spending less on groceries!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 23:55

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%

I spend less just because there is no fast food in my life. I have to go home and cook and that is waaaaaay cheaper. Plus, it is summer and the produce is so cheap, especially the leafy greens.

Low carb rocks!
Mae
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 10:22

Plan: No starch, no sugar...
Stats: 266/207/180 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

This is an interesting discussion.

I would guess I am spending more per trip to the grocery store with a few less trips per month. The only 'low-carb' things I buy are Splenda and low carb wraps, the rest is fresh vegetables, dairy products and protein. I don't buy that much more protein than I did previously to feed a family of three - seem to spend a bit more on cheese and cream.

I am using the 'roast beef sandwhich' brekfast recipe and the cost of deli meats cut thickly suprises me. I paid $9 for 5 slices of thickly cut chicken last week but I prefer this to eggs in the morning.

(Though it occured to me I could have a whole chicken for that!)

Have a good day!

Stacy
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-05, 20:13

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I think it's unfortunate that we are trained to be price sensitive when it comes to fueling our bodies. Would you put cheap gas in a maserati?

Truth is, if you put cheap ingredients IN, you get poor results OUT (asthma, diabetes, allergies, high blood pressure, GERD, IBS, obese, etc. etc. etc.).

Don't forget to factor in stuff you AREN'T buying on this WOL:
1) OTC drugs such as sudafed, antihistimines, aspirin, etc. (dunno about the rest of you, but I haven't gotten sick once in 2+ years I've been following the FFP).
2) hair conditioners. My hair has never been better
3) skin products. Ditto skin. I don't need lotions anymore as my skin is glowing with health and vitality. Also don't need acne meds or makeup.
4) averted costs. I was on the edge of type II diabetes. Fortunately, dropping 80+ pounds has pushed THAT demon off the deep end. I don't need prescription medications of any kind.
5) I'm no longer supporting Starbucks, Lays, Fast Food, etc. etc.
While my grocery bill is larger than it used to be, overall, I'm saving money and more importantly improving my health, big time. I feel so good, in fact, that I've decided to live to 150 and bedev--er--help my family for generations to come.