Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 16:21
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Just heard on the news that most of New York including Plattsburg is in a blackout. Zora is in Plattsburg. Hope she's OK. She's having an adventure!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:33

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hmmm .........wonder if the power stays out longer if there will be another baby boom...huh Zora ?? .lol
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 21:26
Contributing Member

BF:

I should explain my remark about Zora having an adventure. Remember the story 'Pooh's Great Adventure'? It was a favorite of DD#2. Every time we get in a 'pickle' I say we are having an adventure. For instance, if we are traveling and get lost I say we are having an adventure - we don't know where we will end up. It puts a positive spin on things. I love adventures!! You never know what will happen.

That's what I said after the July 3rd storm and we were dangerously winding our way through tree strewn streets and downed power lines to see if DD#1 was Ok and we had no electricity for 18 hrs. It was an adventure!!

Some people can make every day of their lives an adventure. I wish I had that ability.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 23:20
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone,

So I guess you heard what's going on out here. Actually, the Mayor said that Plattsburgh was like the only city in NY that did not lose power! We were running on backup power. They were talking about shutting our city down, but they never did. Mom dug out some flashlights and candles just in case.
I went to my best friend's house tonight - we have been best friends since we were 6 - and her sister lives in NYC. Luckily, she was not on an elevator or the subway when they lost power.

Yes, what an adventure. LOL
I leave for home on Saturday, so if I don't see everyone before then, take care and God bless.

Pssstttt... no more babies for me!!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 05:14
Contributing Member

BF:

Zora, so glad you are OK. Fox News kept saying that Plattsburg was out. They opened their lobby for people to sleep in last night. I couldn't believe that the hotels evacuated and then locked people out. Tourists were sleeping on the curb. So much for 'friendly' NYC. It's amazing that everything went so well overnight. Isn't it funny how people are? We don't have time or want to be bothereed with our neighbors when life is normal but when there's trouble we're a family. It's like that in our small town too. 30 years ago everyone who lived here had grown up here and you knew everyone. Now we are so much a bedroom community for Sioux Falls and Sioux City that there are a lot of people we never get to know. Their home are here and they sleep here but never become a part of the community. Sure is different.

I'm done rambling now....
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi again

Zora - glad everything is OK with you. Watching it on the news last night was very eerie.

Barb - Hey, I remember those days before AC, but as a kid it didn't seem to bother me so much. We also only had 1 car and had to walk everywhere. Our swimming pool was 2 miles away up a huge hill and we walked there every day in the summer. It would kill my own kids now to have to do that!!

Bubu - I hope your mom's doing ok Yes, I borrowed the BFL book from my sister. She had the book but never tried it. I also bought the Success Journal which I LOVE. It has pages for every day in the challenge that you keep track of what you eat, your workout, your intensity, and has a message from Bill and a success story to read. You don't really need the journal, all of that is on the web. It would probably be a good idea to read the book though, but there is a lot of info here at this site too. I don't really follow the eating plan, but I do eat 6 times a day. It is very tough and intense and I really love it so far. After reading some success stories and saw some transformations I knew it was something I wanted to do. You love lifting, I bet you'd like this program.

My younger son's 13th Bday is coming up. He is having friends over to spend the night on Saturday. Luckily they can have the whole downstairs and I can shut the door LOL. I will be ordering pizza for them, and will make my own LC one. But I'll stay away from the ice cream cake. The last time I had something like that on my oldest son's Bday I was sick for hours!

Have a great weekend! It's my last one before I have to go back to work - boo-hoo!! (I know you all feel for me LOL)
Mary
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 17:52

BF:

Hi Zora.....

Great to see you made it .

It is true .....we all come together in times of need.....and how wonderful it really is to experience those times....Kinda like when people say, don't u hate the winters in SD....well I say...if it were not for the bad I wouldn't appreciate the good.

And, besides..what good does it complaining...anit nobody listening lol

I remember lots of times when daily conveniences were not available..and yes a person gets used to just about anything, given time and a miindset such as calling it all an ADVENTURE...what an inspirational way to deal with lifes shortcomings. LOVE IT>

Mary,

I will check for the book tomorrow....taking daughter to SF shopping...lol she gets so many comments from school mates, teasing her for having been at the Oklahoma Mall, the malls in Germany and Wyoming ...but not yet in Sioux Falls.....reason...hubby does not like SF and I don't drive there either.

Am just wondering what the book has that I don't know yet....lol....I do have the Ultra workout to go back on or design my own pyramid to do.
This morning was a tuffy though....didn't get to bed til midnight..then up at 4 am and I was dragging big time. Only worked 3 hrs and took a 2 hr nap......

Well hubby is cooking burgers....so gonna get the greens ready.
Laters Gators
Bubu
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 03:59
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the well wishes. They are much appreciated!
I am home now! YAY! I miss NY and everyone there, but it's good to be home. I gained 4 1/2 lbs on vacation, but I'm back on track starting today. I would like to be 199 lbs by Dec. 31, so no more cheating for me! Barb, where can I find the countdown to 199 thread? I'd like to check it out!
Well, I hope everyone has a groovy low carb day and talk to you soon!
Take care.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:26
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Where is everyone?¿?¿ Hope all is well!
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:09

BF:

Hi I'm here! Just trying to stay cool. It was 109 here yesterday - yikes!! A little cooler today, but more humid. I'm dreading having to sweat in my classroom tomorrow.

Everything else is going fine here. My BFL workouts are going well. I have been doing them in the morning and loving the energy I am getting. I can honestly say I have never worked out to intensely ever before in my life!! Today is my day off and it feels kind of weird not to be exercising, but I cleaned my house and sweated from that LOL.

I was just reading about the Zcarb (carborite?) bar and am going to send my kids in search of it here. The article I read said they had them at 7-11 stores. We don't have a 7-11 but we have a store that use to be a 7-11. Have any of you tried this bar yet? They are chocolate candy bars.

I had the day off on Friday and baked all day. I made 24 lc zucchini muffins and 8 mini-loaves called shannycakes (a BFL recipe) with 4 different flavors to have for my breakfast after I lift weights. I made enough for a month of breakfasts

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend!
Mary
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:45

BF:

sorry I am not here.....mega pc problems....
I will be back.....
love Bubu
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 03:56
Contributing Member

BF:

Hi, everyone! Have been very busy this week and forced myself to stay away from here. I get on and before I know it 2 or 3 hrs are gone!

Zora, glad you made it home safely. The Countdown to 199 thread is in the Countdowns and Challenges Forum. They are a great group and have really helped me keep motivated when I've gotten discouraged.

Mary, I'm pretty sick of the heat, too, but you've had it a little worse than we have. We had 2 nice days last week that gave a little relief. It's supposed to cool off later this week. Looks like a nice Labor Day weekend. I think DS and family are coming then. Have to call them and check so I can get their bed made up. Anxious to see GD again.

Bubu, sorry you're having PC problems. Hope you get things fixed soon. Being off this board is like going through withdrawal. I know what you mean about driving in Sioux Falls. I have done it so long and so often it doesn't bother me too much. I would rather drive in Kansas City than Sioux Falls. SF drivers don't know how to drive and the Iowa cars are really bad!!! They run yellow lights and cut you off every chance they get. You really have to drive defensively. KC drivers know how to drive and are polite.

My weight has been holding at 197. At least I stopped bouncing up and down, but don't seem to be able to move down. It would probably help if I went back to strictly induction foods, but it would be hard now. I would really miss my nuts, berries, and cottage cheese.

My daughter is doing so well and looking so thin. We started at the same weight and she is down to 190. She doesn't exercise but is a lot more active than I am. I downloaded some info from the BFL site, but haven't had time to really read it yet. Maybe when things settle down a little.

CYL
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 00:33
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi all! Happy Labor Day!

I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday weekend! I didn't do too much. Got some things done around the apartment and I joined the YMCA today. My girlfriend and I went and worked out on the nautilus machines and I am so sore! But it's a good sore. I think I am going to try and go to the water aerobics class tomorrow night if I get out of work in time. I get done at 5:30 and they start at 6 - will be close!

Barb - I found the Countdown to 199 thread, but seems like there isn't a whole lot of posting going on over there. I will be so glad to be in the 100s. I haven't seen them since the year my son was born in 1988!

Mary - Sounds like you are doing great with your workouts! I have heard of BFL, but don't know too much about it. I should read up on it.
Has it cooled down any?

Bubu - Hope your PC is fixed soon!!

Take care all and hope to see some posts from everyone soon!!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:23

BF:

Hi everyone

It seems like forever since I posted anything here! I hope everyone is doing well

I am in Week 5 of my BFL Challenge and it is going well with a minor glitch thrown in a week ago. I fell down 3 steps from my house to the garage. I kind of slipped went over the wooden railing, breaking it, and landing on the floor. Thankfully I didn't get hurt badly, but my legs were sore and bruised and my knees hurt a lot for a week. I am such a clutz!!! I missed 2 workouts but made them up later so no harm done. My body seems to be back to how I was before the fall, and getting stronger every day

School is going well, but it is still pretty hot here. With no AC by the afternoon we are all sweating - uugg!! But it's good to be back to the routine.

Take care!!
Mary
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:33
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Wow Mary. I am glad you are ok!! Whew!!
Falls can be nasty and I'm glad you are all better!
I took one once about 8 years ago and I sprained my ankle so bad I was in physical therapy for 3 months! I bruised all the way to my knee!!
Things are going ok here. Work is better, my son is great, and the weather has been nice. I'm trying to get ready for a garage sale. I have so many boxes to go through in the garage. Hopefully I can have it weekend after next.
Take care all and we'll see ya soon.