Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 12:56

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Barb......

Congrats on the loss !!!!! :

I'll join u in the party I think.
Yesterday I was just starving and decided a just gonna eat...I ended up with 2000 cal and 25 carbs...and this morning I was down 2 pds.
Go figure...by tomorrow it may show a different story though...so I will wait at least tomorrow out and see what happens...then change my stats.
I was so weak this morning at gym......legs just couldn't handle the eliptical at all...did 12 minutes and thought I was gonna take a dive.
So went right to lifting. My daughter wasn't too explosive either, didn't even wanna get up. She is feeling her first sores...so I know she is working a little harder.

I have eaten enough already for today as well...and I slept again after we got home this morning.....I really seem to need extra energy.....and its my day off...so my body gets what it wants. lol

OOOOOOH SAY you pictures is so cute.....and the wittle one too !!
Glad u posted it !

Well gotta make some calls to college....Paper war is crazy again with that. Son had to withdraw with the 147th and lost that year...so starting over again this fall.

Catch u later

Bubu
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 19:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

That's my granddaughter, Samantha, at Christmas when she was 1 yr old. She has more hair now! Her father was bald for a long time, too - just fuzz. Did I mention that we're going to see her this weekend in Kansas City? I'm so excited!! DD#2 is flying in from Vermont.

That's what days off are for - rest.

I went through a period when I would get a 'hungry day' and eat a lot. I always had a loss the day after. I think it reassures the metabolism that there is plenty of food coming so it can let go of some stored fat.

I've only had 1400 calories today and I'm going to try to keep it there. I didn't have breakfast today. I take my thyroid pill when I get up and have to wait 2 hrs to eat. I got busy and totally forgot. I'm not hungry so evidently have had enough to eat.

Hope you got enough rest today and will have more energy tomorrow. CYL

PS: Who's that beautiful blonde that shows up in your profile?

Last edited by SDgrandma : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 20:00.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:52

BF:

Wow another coincidence.......my daughters name is Samantha as well.....
Husband wanted to name her Sarah Lee.....(Lee being a friend of ours) but I refused to call her by a cheese cake.

Well my food was high again today.....basically cause I was home and still kinda lugging around sluggish. Feeling absolutely full tonight, so hope I am having a strong day tomorrow. Daughter thought she was down a pound again too, so we discussed a few things for tomorrow to increase her tempo on the tread.

oh wow going to KC.....we went thru there a few times on our way to Fort Sill, OK while son #2 was on duty there. 725 miles way too long for those quick visits...but worth it.

lol....the pic in my profile is moi.....didn't even know it was lingering there....I was playing around with the sizing of all of them.
That was about 2 - 3 years ago. At that time I was still working out etc....until my 5th lumbar wouldn't let me make a move anymore. Sad time and it can start again at any time. Only have a tiny sliver of disc left there so I have to control my moves every minute and do lots of hamstring stretches . I was crippled to the point of not sleeping anywhere but my recliner and such. I have another pic in my journal of that time....was originally going to put that as an incentive on the bottome of my posts...but read they don't like people using the space for that.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 21:16
Contributing Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu
but I refused to call her by a cheese cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu
lol....the pic in my profile is moi.....didn't even know it was lingering there....I was playing around with the sizing of all of them.
That was about 2 - 3 years ago. At that time I was still working out etc....until my 5th lumbar wouldn't let me make a move anymore. Sad time and it can start again at any time. Only have a tiny sliver of disc left there so I have to control my moves every minute and do lots of hamstring stretches . I was crippled to the point of not sleeping anywhere but my recliner and such. I have another pic in my journal of that time....was originally going to put that as an incentive on the bottome of my posts...but read they don't like people using the space for that.

I had exactly the same problem. Think it was the 3rd disc though. I suffered with that for 2 years. The disc fluid was laying along the sciatic nerve and I could hardly walk. I also slept in the recliner for months and if not the recliner, the couch with my leg propped up. My bed was just too firm. I finally had to have a nerve block and it finally began to heal. I still sleep with a pillow between my knees. That was back in the early 80's. I have a twinge occasionally when I've done something I shouldn't and I just have to rest it and be really careful for a while. I have to be really careful when I exercise.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 09:26
Contributing Member

Stats: 215/185/140
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello everyone!

I just read through what I've missed in the last week or so. Its great to see you here Zora!

I've been busy with so many things, but I've kept my focus pretty well as far as my eating goes... There have been a few times when I've given into temptation, but I've managed to always pick the best possible "naughty" food and eat it in small portions. So, I've maintained my weight. I always figure if I haven't gained, at least that's something!

Barb, your granddaughter is adorable! I saw that you were wondering about our ages. I'll be 35 tomorrow! My husband and I married quite young (and they said it would never last ) and we have three sons, ages 12, 11, and 8. It's hard for me to believe that I'll have two kids in middle school this fall. Also, my husband is a hunter so my oldest went through the hunter safety course this spring. I'm nervous about the idea of him hunting, but my husband is very into safety so I know they'll be ok. Still, it's strange!

Congratulations on the weight loss everyone!

As I said, I've been maintaining for the last couple of weeks, but for some reason woke up highly motivated today! We are leaving for vacation on August 10th (17 days) and I'd like to take off 5 lbs. before we go. That's a little over 2 lbs per week, which should be possible, but we'll see.

Someone asked me today if I'm planning to pig out on my birthday. Yikes. No way. Well, I am planning on having on slice of cheesecake. I've been planning that for a couple of weeks and can't wait! Other than that, it's just a regular day!

Barb, I have relatives in Flandreau too! My husband has two sisters that live there! It is a small world!

Until next time...

Lisa
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:17

BF:

Hi all....

well I hit the 179 again.....I am hoping it stays....ate another 2000 yesterday....2nd day.....so maybe my body just wanted reassurance.
Now I know I will not stay on that many......but I think I will test that again after maybe 3 weeks.

Our equipment at the center is in much need of repair. Both elipticals and one treadmill are making the BAD noises. Still under warrantie but sad that it has to happen already.

Well Lisa, I wish mine were just starting their HS-careers. I am almost 44 and have 3 sons, 23, 21, 18 and a daughter 14. I so enjoyed the activities with those guys. I wished I could turn back time. When I used to play hockey, mom was never interested to come to even one game, so I vowed when I had kids I would go to them all. I did just that, only missed a couple of wrestling matches because I was sick.
All of the boys have had state experience in either wrestling or football and the youngest also plays basketball. What a time we have had and here its his last year already. The daughter isn't so into sports, a little volleyball is about it. Once her weight comes off, I am hoping she will join some other interests as well.
I gotta say ...I can't wait to have grandkids so I can experience all this over again.

Getting a few bikers thru now...should pick up real good this weekend and then hell weeks after that. Sure glad your vacation isn't during that time lol

Laters Bubu
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:34

BF:

Barb,

How I could feel your pain while reading about your back problems. I think I have been lucky it hasn't gone to the sciatic yet. Mine is just pure osteoarthritis with a minimal layer left on the disc. Mine strated somewhat in the late 80's but a chiropractor could still fix me and rest.
Then it got to where I couldn't go to work twice within a year. I couldn't keep house as in mopping etc. and the walks and workouts stopped as well.
I went to the doc who then prescribed Vioxx without taking my blood presure etc. (vioxx indicates negative on heart history) and after I started getting puffy I quit that.
I was so desperate to find help (ironically my brother is a physical therapist....but in Germany.
Anyway the doc told me I was really limber which I am depending how he bends me and that stomach muscles are important.
What a laugh...I went on the net and surged for spinal health and found out with lumbar the stomach muscles actually pull the spine to cause pain...so I started doing hamstring stretches as suggested .
Guess what .....I haven't seen a doc or chiropractor or felt a sharp pain since. I still sleep on the couch as to not move around and the wrong way. I can work out, I can mop if I watch myself and I can lift things like case goods again.
Hamstring stretches that was all it took to manage the pain. I do them daily too, after our workout or right away after leg work.

Soooo simple.....Vioxx cost how much ????....25 bucks for starters with insurance.

Laters Bubu
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:39
Contributing Member

BF:

Guess our problem is a little different. Mine was a ruptured disc.

For the 2 months before starting Atkins, I was sleeping on the couch again. I had restless leg and had to get up often and walk it out. A week after starting induction I was back sleeping in my bed with no more restless leg.

Well, I just stopped in to say Hi! Have packing to do - leaving tomorrow morning. Talk to you on Monday or Sun. night if we get back early.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:32
Contributing Member

BF:

Where has everybody been this weekend. I popped in to catch up and no one has been here.

Had a great trip to KC. My granddaughter is starting to say words. She is such a ham in front of the camera. Went to the River Market and bought lots of wonderful fresh fruits and vegies.

Put on 2 lbs. this weekend. Hope it's just water. Ankles were a little swollen last night. It was so hot I should have sweated 2 lbs off!!

DS and DDIL are on Atkins, too. DS has lost over 50 lbs. and DDIL has lost about 25. They really cheated this weekend and I'm concerned they will totally fall off the wagon. We ate out a lot and they couldn't resist the sweets.

Later,
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:32

BF:

Hi,
glad u had a good time. I think its the puffy me up moon phase....I am feeling the same way. Also believe I have found my threshold in carbs....I went as high as 45 this weekend. Had Squash, Zucchini and orange peppers and such with a tenderloin on the grill.....our usual straw- blueberries and cream thing etc....didn't take long to add calories and carbs. Today I am feeling absolutely bloated and like I have gained a ton. Hadn't when I weighed after the workout though.....so hope its just water now.

Gonna hold back some today and hope to get back down to 25 carbs by tomorrow...need to plan my days ahead again.
The bikes are slowly rolling in ...come wednesday it should get interesting already. On Friday and Saturday will be the heaviest days I think and it looks to be getting HOT then. We will get our share of lobsters then.
During that week the gym will be closed too as they are waxing the floors...so I will be miserable in a way...but its just as well...gotta go in early and do bookwork before the masses hit.
DH went to KC today too...with a load in semi though.

Well gonna eat some broccoli and chicken....

catch u later
Bubu
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:58
Contributing Member

BF:

Hope your hubby doesn't have to go on 435 East. There's construction and it can be a mess near rush times.

That's a terrific excuse for water retention - a puffy moon phase. I'll have to remember that.

We saw bike all the way thru Iowa on 29. We get them thru here, too, but probably not as many as you do. We only get the ones coming from the south.

I may have to join the fitness center. It's obvious I don't accomplish anything at home. I hate exercising in front of DH and he's in and out all day. I just get going and he comes home.

I sure got a lot of compliments this weekend. DD from Vermont hadn't seen me since I started and she was amazed. I actually was able to wear shorts all weekend and not be embarressed about fat legs. It's so nice to be able to sit on the floor and play with my GD and be able to get up again.

CYL
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:42

BF:

Hi Barb,

Well hubby made it home ok....not much sleep though, so sonked out early tonight.

GREAT to get the compliments !!!!!!! Can't wait. Thing is I always have dressed to where it wasn't all that visible what I have gained.....so it will be a while before anyone notices I think....Have gone to tighter fitting clothes....still relaxed but not quite so baggy...so I show more what I STILL have.

Have decided to up my program and start weighing things more closely again, also to log my food right away on paper. This is heading off disaster actually. I have noticed that I am more tired and tend to want to have something to eat rather than sleep when I get home. Thats no good...is a dangerous trap. So with the ralleys coming I need to really watch myself on how I react in a day.
Also will start setting a program for workouts and keep stats, also on paper as well as in my journal here.
The only bad part being that gym will be closed for a week ...prob next week and my basement is too hot and stuffy to use right now with my own equipment. Still will be a test to see how much of my gains will suffer in a week. Kind of nice to know for future ref.

I hope u can get some excercise in for sure...even walking with the walkman is a great thing. Housework may get us to sweat but its not the good controlled ...good for the body stuff. I get so much peace from working out ....I just love it. In fact sometimes I want to go back in the afternoon...BUT alas there is a fam to take care of too.

Well best get my beauty snooze

Laters Gators...

Bu
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:20
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hello everyone!

Just popping in to say a quick hello! I have been so busy! I was in Chicago last weekend visiting my BF and been working a lot this week. I leave for NY state on 8/5 for 11 days to visit the folks. I can't wait. Things after that should settle down and I will be able to visit more.
Hope everyone is doing good!!

Take care!
Z
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 15:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi neighbors!

I just joined the forum this week and found this thread and wanted to say hi! I live in Fort Pierre, and it's nice to see others from the area here. I'm married and have 2 teenage sons (well, one is 16 and one ia almost 13 LOL)

I just started seriously low carbing a month ago. I have watched my carbs for years and tried to keep them around 100, but that was such a struggle, I had cravings all the time, and gave into them way too often. I have diabetes and when I would eat what they told me (45 carbs a meal) it never really helped me control it. Now I have better control. Right now I probably get around 30-40 carbs a day, all from veggies and I allow myself to have some berries every night. This way is a lot easier for me since the craving are gone.

I have a long way to go, but I feel very encouraged with this WOE. I am also exercising like a fiend LOL. I am doing 20 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and started back lifting weights 3 times a week - full body 45 minutes. I plan on starting Body For Life next week or the week after when I get my journal.

Nice to see everyone here!
Mary
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:43

BF:

Hi Mary,

Glad u joined us...hope you stick around. I live in Plankinton, have 3 sons 23, 21, 18 and a daughter almost 14.
I have done Atkins only once before but really couldn't get into it, food was not palatable to me then. This time around it seems so easy, don't know why though.
I also lift, 5 days /week which I have been doing for a long time, except for 3 years when I had mega back problems and just wasn't moving much at all. Having found a way to manage those I am back in the game but gained so much weight which is now a struggle.
Lifting is my peace, my energy, my power. Without it I am just not who I like to be or want to be. I guess its like an addiction of sorts, but I am glad I have it.

My daughter is on the plan as well, my hubby was also and had lost 28 pds before he stalled and carbed up. He hasn't been all that serious about it since...but still is not eating junk . Daughter on the other hand is extremely precise in what she eats and logs everything, so I have good company. My oldest son is also LC-ing but living with his future pride, but think he is doing great...had lost 30 pds in the first 4 weeks.

I will try and continue coming on every night..but won't promise much.....I work at a Phillips station on I-90 and we are getting the bikers now...so we are going to be swamped for 1.5 weeks for sure. But I love it. In fact I get upset when I have to do the bookwork upstairs and try to hurry so I can do store as fast as possible...

Well best get ...gotta walk the dog yet and do journal.

Catch u all later

Bubu