Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165.2/162.6/140.0
BF:
Progress: 10%

well looky at the thread!!!! It certainly speaks loud and clear that we could use our own forum!!!

Although I am not formally in menopause I think I could gain allot of wisdom from those who are already there. I do believe I am knocking on the door of menopause and just because I don't have all the symtoms or on HRT doesn't mean I don't feel the same frustration about a sluggish metabolism that comes from perimenopause...........

I hope to feel support and also be able to give it to all of you in your struggle to lose weight........just to know I am not alone has given me a new motivation

Let's keep this going.......it is great!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:53

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default wine?????

You like wine? You must be a good person...Thats my fav poison...
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:58

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Wine??

Yep. A little white wine on the weekend is my reward for a for having a pure heart and clean socks all week.

I'm just hoping that wine doesn't slow down my weight loss so much that I have to decide between the two!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 22:21

BF:
Default occasionally...

In the old Atkins book...he mentions Chianti and Chablis as being the better wines in low carbs... I gotta have chicken ceasar salad with a glass of wine...Its like a passion for me...and its not too illegal either!!!!!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 22:49

BF:
Default another hormone question?????

I have always had fairly skinny arms...but not as much now...Do any of you ladies have lumpy lookin upper arms now? Doc was saying its from the thyroid thing....tissues not draining like they use to or something...I won't even tell you about my legs...or should I say kegs. He didnt say it was cellulite.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:01
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Smile Yes to a forum for menopause!

This is a very interesting discussion. I'm 46 1/2 and have been in perimenopause for awhile (even went 16 months without TOM and then...surprise!). I am committed to this WOE but have had very slow progress in the weight loss area. I'm definitely interested in talking to other women about this!
Thanks, Di, for starting this!

Waldorfmom
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 08:42

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Wine

HMMMM Chicken Caesar with white wine (insert homer simpson noise). My favorite restaurant meal. Now I just pick out the croutons.

I saw the info re: Chablis and Chianti, but I really don't like them. Oddly, they seem sickeningly sweet to me, not dry. I like a very dry Chardonnay. My personal favorite is Christian Brothers Chardonnay Champagne. It is very crisp with 0 residual sugar.

OK, here I am eating my breakfast daydreaming about wine. Can you say intervention?
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 08:45
HELP!!!

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 56%

ok here I go again...
I might be the one person on this subject that has only gained weight when I wasn't watching myself. I take premarin alot of it ( for the rest of the world and night sweats) I have high bp have low thyroid on meds for all asmatha too. I had emergency hyst. 12-01 it was a full one. So now I do not have my ovaries or anything else for that matter my spelling is terrible. I feel that if I didn't watch what goes in my mouth I gain very easy. I have just come to this as of late. I got very strict woth what I eat wine included. When I do this I will LOSE! for almost 5 weeks I will have to look in my journal for exact time I have lost almost 10 pounds. I will let you know for sure the time. It has not been easy.
But once I got off hidden sugars I was in. when I let myself eat outside food boom I retain water or even gain. I know this and I even things out. We go out alot but I try to watch. Last weekend I had BREAD crust to be exact OH MY GOD! but the next day I was eating eggs and steak and some veggies.
BUt I will say that the past few years I swore I couldn't lose weight. I blamed my meds I blame everything I could. But in my case I thnimk that I was taken in hidden carbs. I was sitting around moping. I will lose weight slower but I am able to lose when ultra strict. Everyone should write a journal I see that some newbies aren't starting a journal. I have seen friends I have made on these boards have great succues(sp?) writing journals.
I thinbk this is a WONDERFUL thread and want to see it continue. I think we all can help one another. I hope I will be a sucess story and all of you as well. Menopause is not fun I hate it. I was doing great right before it. now it is damn hard.
Stacey
sorry to ramble.
ps I am not proof reading.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 09:11

Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

...i'm not hip to what hidden carbs are or where you find them, or what a sugar alcohol is...alcohol alone is a four letter word for me...my head is spinning from all the work i'm doing trying to figure out what the hell i've been doing wrong...i still blame my age and lack-luster exercise program...i will be anxious to see what this thyroid teast shows...i'm so sick of eggs i could puke...sheesh.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 10:41

BF:
Default not for sure....

I think the potassium might be helping that wild 4 pound swing...if you aren't using potassium yet...maybe give it a try I have been doing 50mg in morning/50mg in evening....I will keep you posted...
Yes I am glad to know that ladies around my age are having the same stalls in weight loss....There will always be one who's metabolism is different...even at our age....I met a lady yesterday...she has a slow thyroid too...looking nice and slim...says she is doing the Suzanne Summers diet and not even trying!!!!!!!!! BUT, you never know what is really going on inside that body....maybe her thyroid is now swinging the other way!!!!SO, we still just gotta keep on trying here with DOC Atkins...I like that I don't have to be hungry I use to be a faithful Weight Watchers girl...won my diamond pins, and kept it off 20 years....BUT, i must admitt there were days I would be eating baked carrots.....and feeling pretty hungry Then you go blow it, and get all mad at yourself I'm not giving up here yet....
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I heard that it was important to take calicum w/magnesium for weight loss too.
Thanks for the potassinm heads up. I'm going to increase mine and add some calicum/magnesium. I'm also going to add hand weights. There is a tape by Joyce Vedral that helps you with weights. No bulk just firm up!! She guarentees (where's the spellcheck??) 1 dress size in a month. My menopausal friend tried it and looks great. Even Diane Sawyer added weights.
www.joycevedral.com
Check it out!
Pam
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 12:19

BF:
Default Hi!

Its just a good thing to take Calcium and Magnesium anyway if your a lady...especially when your getting to menopause, or at menopause....I have to especially take it, because I take a med called Synthroid for my thyroid....I think Synthroid is hard on the bones.
I have been doing light weights for years....use to do heavier ones, but hurt my back...I use to teach aerobics and weights...Now my 13 year old daughter joins me for light weights...I once heard it isnt good to do weights until your fully grown,. BUT, I just give her very light weights...don't want to discourage her.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default good thread

Can really relate to all the comments.It all s####...I am 44 and started peri when I was 38 ,did not have a clue.The Dr. never even brought it up.I have plenty of friends with all kinds of symptoms.It seems like women in general are starting earlier.I wonder what gives?MsATT hang in there one day at a time.Its all worth it.Yeh lets get a spot going for us females... At least a place to dump so the family doesnt get it..HEHE
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 21:33

Plan: owl
Stats: 150/134/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Unhappy

What a good thread......I, too, am post meno. I am not on hormones. I can't imagine anyone wanting to take them now, with all the negativity involved.
I am 53 and started menopause at 45. Though, my periods were getting very irregular starting at 42. Once, at 41, I thought I was pregnant Then the horrible night sweats started, as everyone said, first so hot, then freezing! Luckily, mine didn't last too long, about 3 years. I never had any moodiness, but I have lost my mind! I have the hardest time remembering things. Ya know, walking into the bedroom to get.... now what was I coming here for!!
As for the weight gain, I gained 10 lbs since starting menopause, and I am slowly losing my waist. This is why I started Akins, to lose those 10 lbs, plus the 10 more that have crept up on me over the last years. The weight is coming off, but so slow. I am at a stall for weeks now. I am glad I lost 10 lbs. but I want the other pounds off. I have lost a ton of inches so I can't complain. I will just stick with this WOE and see what happens. Hopefully, it will eventually come off.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 23:43

BF:
Default yup...

Hang in there...we will figure stuff out all together Safety in numbers , right?