Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:10

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Peri-menopause and menopause and weight loss????

Ladies that are in this area of life...Do you find it harder to lose weight? I have heard before that it suppose to be harder to lose weight, when you are going through menopause or peri-menopause...I am 46 and a half....but what a bitch trying to lose weight!!!!! It never use to be!!!!!! I do aerobics, I walk too, and I do light weights...I stick religiously to this diet!!!! Its really slow going for me!!!! I do have a slow thyroid problem now...but Doc says its in an ok range, I think he said 0.6 the low end? It must be ok, because I would not want to excersise if it wasnt ok. I have not reached menopause yet, but have TOM every 3 weeks/so must be pre-menstrual alot!!!!! I seem to retain water very easy now too!!!!!! lose 4 gain 4...stay same What else can I do....Im doin all the things your suppose to do!!!!!! I have been on this diet since March...only blown it 2 times and right back on....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:17
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Here is a thread that may help. I believe it starts with humor, but I think it gets to what you are referring to later.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=60415

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:27

BF:
Default hi

Holy Hannah!!!!! Thanx for that page .....I guess I will just keep plugging away at things....Its such a bummer at times....I need to read more to see what some of their suggestions are...I know there is a great naturopath Paavo Airola ...he has some great things in his Womans only book...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165.2/162.6/140.0
BF:
Progress: 10%

LadyDi~

You are singing my song. I have tried faithfully to loose weight for 2 years now. I had 35 to and lost 15 pretty steady but the rest has not moved no matter what diet I have tried. I have exercised as much as 6 miles a day on the treadmill for months and still no results.

I am only 42 but I had an ovary removed 6 years ago and so I am wondering if I have burned the other one up!!

I don't have hot flashes but I do have mood swings.....time where I feel really depressed. It doesn't last long thank God but it is bothersome

I will say though that this WOE has lessoned my mood swings allot!

I am glad to see that I am not alone in the struggle....even though I wouldn't wish this on anybody.....

I guess we just press on!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:10

BF:
Default Its a bummer isn't it???

I'm about to try Potassium...maybe I wacked out the balance some where.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:13

BF:
Default Jaime

Did they test your thyroid???? I cant figure what could be happening...we excersise our brains out...thats suppose to boost metabolism?????? Im cutting down on salt, making sure I dont sneak in aspartame, and watch the cheese....In Canada all diet pop has aspartame in it now....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:21

Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

it's absolutely terrible trying to lose weight at this age!! i am 54 now, but up until i got sober and gained over 50 pounds, which was 4 years ago, i never had a problem losing weight! in fact, i was only around 90 lbs. when all this started...then 2 and a half years ago i quit smoking and bamm! (just like emeril) i seem to completely stop losing...it's been so hard for me and i'm very discouraged...if i had done this diet years ago, i would have dropped tons of weight in no time...i'm so grateful for this board...at least i can read some encouraging things on it...if it wasn't for this i would have stopped the diet and just surrendered the rest of my life to being overweight and unhappy...thanks everyone for giving me a little hope...nancy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:33

BF:
Default Dont know if this is true...

I did read some where when you get older older...that it gets easy to lose weight again...my Mom would disagree...but her knee is a blow out/so she doesnt move around much Ya when I was younger I could lose 6lbs in no time...then about 2 to 3lbs a week after that!!!!!!! You would figure though that if you were excersising...that you would boost yer metabolism/hence losing weight....It must be those "stinkin little hormones"!!!!!!!!! Im doin aerobics, walking, and light weights every day!!!!! Well we can't give up Its just maddening thats all!!!!! Imagine starving on weight watchers, and not losing a pound like this????? You would cry your eyes out...at least you know this diet does work...because the amount of food eaten, and we dont gain...we stay the same or lose a bit...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:46

BF:

yep I had my thyroid tested.....it tested fine

I feel like I have to work 10 times as hard for every pound I lose....even my hubby says it is not right......he swears there has got to be something going on in my body that is not right.

I have an appt. with a new doctor next month. I am hoping she has some fresh new ideas other than just eat less and exercise more
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:04

BF:
Default well.....

When you talk to that Doc you have to let me know......My Doc just said...its because your getting older...you have to excersise even more!!!!! Well I do and still nothing.....I dont take anything that would make it bad either.....I do have to take my thyroid pill...but thats suppose to help make my metabolism normal also???????? And my thyroid is at a normal level right now?????? Im going to see what else raises your metabolism besides excersise....I know some spices are suppose to...then there are some herbal things.....On this diet I wonder if its ok to take kelp pills...I cant find that out any where....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:11

BF:
Default and....

a friend of mine lost 45lbs on low carbing....but she jogged and took something called efedrin (I think)...Its banned here..I think it speeds up your body...but its a little risky.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:12

BF:

I will let ya know!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:20

Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

....i'm seeing my doctor tomorrow...i'm so discouraged that i'm feeling depression kicking in...i really did have a great figure and a lot of self-confidence before this weight gain...i left it go because getting sober menat saving my life...there's no way i'll go back to the way i was...but this is also suicide...i've gained SO much weight, and i'm having such a terribly hard time trying to lose...my cholerterol is at danger levels and i have coronary heart disease...it's like, if my lifestyle doesn't do me in, eating will...i'm between a rock and an hard place...damned if i do and damned if i don't...i'm tired...i have a possible new career in hollywood as an anthropology consultant waiting for me...i can fill you all in when i know more...but i don't even know if i can keep up the pace! this sucks, and i'm really feeling down right now...thanks for being a shoulder board, so to speak...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:42

BF:
Default Well hang in there...

we will just all keep trying...and check back here to see what we all keep coming up with....Just one little thing may help someone. It does make ya freakin mad at times though!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:57
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi there,
I'm so glad you posted this thread. I posted one about 2 weeks ago and didn't get much responce.

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD PUT THEIR AGE. WE ARE ALL WOMAN AND WHEN ONE SAYS "I LOST 20 OR 30 LBS' IS THAT A MENOPAUSEAL WOMAN?

You hit the nail on the head. Since HRT I've have had nothing but trouble losing weight. It"s like it's glued on. I'm 52 and have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks and have lost a few pounds. Even my clothes are tighter now. I'm going to try to lower my calories and see if that helps.
About a month ago I was successful losing weight and inches with a high fiber/ low fat diet but I was always hungry. I did weight traing with Joyce Vedral tapes from her web site. Her theory is woman can't gain bulk muscles with weights and she was right. It was amazing my body began to change shape like Oprah's. In fact I think this diet was like Oprah's. My metobilism increased a lot!!! But I've started a new job and haven't had time to train anymore but I'm going to try alittle longer with Atkins and see if I can add my weights back.
I am very discouraged though!!!!
Pam