Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 15:02

Plan:
Stats: 300/275/75
BF:
Progress:
Wink water

I take one of those coffee mugs (the ones you can put in your car) and I fill it halfway with ice and the rest with water and I can drink like that all day long.
--mary
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 20:12

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

I have the same problem. I have tried all tricks and ideas, but I still don't drink enough water. I am usually fine for a couple of days, then I forget, or I am out and about ( I don't take water with me when shopping. McDonald's Toilets are disgusting ), and without noticing, I am back to 0 water again. Yes, that is 0 . I end up drinking about 10 cups of coffee, but no water or other drinks. I can go for days without drinking water .

I know I have to change it, and as I am now officially back on this WOL (after a last meal of pasta tonight), I will make the effort tomorrow to drink my 8 glasses of water.

I have noticed, that after a couple of days of struggle to drink enough, I automatically crave water, and it just comes easy. It usually takes about a week. Now I just have to work on my aversion to McDonald's Toilets as x-mas shopping is coming up.

Good luck
Sabine
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 14:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Smile

I def. agree with you madpiano. The more water I drink the more I crave it. Your right within a couple of days [of drinking enough water] I develop cotton mouth. It feels so good to know that you are doing something so good for your body, but like you I some how end up drinking less and less. So I'm trying to drink at least 100oz (I need to drink around 140oz). Today so far I'm at 64
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 15:23

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Spice it up

The best way I've found to drink enough water is to make sure my food isn't bland. I LOVE spicy food, from jalapenos to tobasco to louisiana hot sauce. Just find spicy things you like (that are low or no-carb) and add zing to the meat. A favorite way of mine to roast chicken is to gently lift up the skin and stuff butter under there, pulling the skin back over the chicken, then spice it up with garlic salt and cayenne pepper.

If it's spicy, you'll drink water unconsciously to put out the fire

Sh'ra
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 12:19

Thumbs up

You are so right sh'ra! I love hot things. I made this turkey dish (with the leftovers from ThanksGiving). I took strips of the turkey breast, strips of Hot green peppers, chopped mushrooms, some chopped onion, and layered them in a casserole, then I microwaved some sour creme, creme cheese and heavy creme (to blend), then I top the turkey mixture with the creme cheese mixture and topped with shredded cheddar. I baked the mixture for 40 min ~350

This was soooooooooooo good. I felt bad for eating it (psych)
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 16:56

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default This may sound silly...

Try different brands of water.

I only like reverse osmosis water. I hate ground water, and spring water is often worse, and we won't talk about river project water.... Luckly RO water is cheaper than spring water.
My new job has bottled spring water and I thought I'd drink it and save some money. It tasted ok, but when it comes down to it, I only drank .5 liters a day that week. Yesterday I brought in my RO gallon, and it's gone today and I want more....
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:27

Only thing is that you have to be careful with bottled water. What ever they use to filter it can lead to kidney stones. I used to buy bottled water all of the time. I started having pains in my back, because I was developing kidney stones. My Dr asked if I drank a lot of soda? (no), do you drink bottled water? (yes) "well then stop".
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 13:15

BF:

Cool. Another reason to drink reverse osmosis water. It doesn't use a filter.
The river water here is so hard that I've heard stones are a big problem if you drink tap water. It leaves a nasty white film on everything it touches. I'm not drinking it. I can barely stand to brush my teeth with it.

Last edited by Meeker : Fri, Nov-30-01 at 13:20.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 13:17

I don't remember if he said spring water, but that was what I was drinking. I now use a Brita filter with no problems.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 13:21

BF:

You replied while I was rewriting my post...what are the odds?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: suzanna summers
Stats: 187/150/130
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up hi

i drink all i can glass after glass .....good luck
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 12:37

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have always struggled to get my water intake up. I didn't like the taste (or rather, the tastelessness) of water, neither did I like how cold water made me feel cold (I have hypothyroidism). It was about a year ago that I tried heating my glass of water up in my microwave. I was surprised how a couple days of warm (warmer than room temp but not so hot as to have to sip it) grew on me. As far as the taste ...I can handle it better warm than cold.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 18:23

Plan: Nutritionist
Stats: 163/157/125
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have the same problem as you! I used to find it so difficult to get the recommended dose of water a day, but then I found an easy way to constantly drink GOOD tasting water. Go out to the store and pick up a Brita Water Bottle. It has a filter built in to the cap and makes the water taste great. It's wonderful for exercising, work, or just lounging around the house. Also, I find it easier to drink more water when it is at room temperature instead of ice cold. Best of luck to you!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/299/240
BF:
Progress: 41%

I drink all of my water at room temp. It goes down a lot faster that way.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:48

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
I have a guilty confession with water...
I am a Lurisia addict!

Lurisia is a non carbonated bottled mineral water from Italy that, to me, tastes like drinking air. I buy cases of it... my indulgence!
When I want something with a bit more oomph, I drink San Pelligrino (sparkling) which is heavy on the mineral side.

Try different water types and filtrations!