Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I made a broccoli/cauliflower soup last night like that. Had 1 cup chicken broth, 2 Tbsp butter, and 1 cup water to cook the veggies in nuker then 4 oz colby jack cheese stired in and another 1-2 min in nuker. Makes 2 very filling servings
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/195/135
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Hang in there Jake...

Wow...Lots of good tips and ideas here, Jake...i might have to use some myself.

Don't get too discouraged...try some of these ideas. I know how you feel about wanting to stick with induction...I want to do that, too...but it sounds to me like you do need to get a little more variety like Kaillean mentioned. You can do this while staying within your 20 gram limit.

Don't beat yourself up...you're doing SO well!!! I've read some of your posts around here and you've been a great inspiration...it's O.K. to have a bad day.

And it's good that you came here...you have support.

Here's to a better day tomorrow!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sounds like I will have some serious cooking, bagging, freezing, to do when I get home from the grocery tomorrow!

I do make soup...and pretty darn good too!

Thanks to ALL of you for your help and for your great ideas! I REALLY appreciate you all...but then...you already know that!

I am past my problem and when it happens again tomorrow (if), I will EAT...and having eaten tonight, I certainly feel MUCH better. Man...This was the most difficult day I have had since starting Atkins...scary stuff!

Thanks guys....you are GREAT!
Best always;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jun-18-03 at 20:40.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Have I got a deal for you...

Here is a recipe for some "bread" that is legal. I calculated the carb count ~ 1 carb per bun (1/12th of mixture), about 58 calories, 3g fat, & 3g protein.

I always make them with the parmesan cheese (in the green can) and bake them on crown muffin pans (think of a muffin pan about 4" across and 1/2" deep). I know others who have baked them free-form or as one huge bun on a cookie sheet, but I have not tried that. The crown muffin pans work very well. Be sure to spray whatever you use with Pam.

These make great sandwiches, even hamburger buns. I make them almost every Saturday morning. I also prefer cream cheese instead of sour cream. I just pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds to soften. I hope you like them, too. They travel well if you have to take your lunch to work.

ljm

Pro/Fat Sandwich Buns

* Basic * Buns

6 egg whites
1/4 teas. cream of tartar
4 egg yolks
3/8 cup softened cream cheese or 3/8 cup (6 tbsp) sour cream
2 pkgs. Splenda (can omit)
pinch of salt

Beat egg whites & cream of tartar until very stiff. Turn bowl upside down and if the whites don't slide, they are stiff enough.

In a small bowl mix together the other ingredients. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Rubber spatula works best.

Generously spray a non-stick crown muffin pan with Pam. Fill the indents evenly.

Bake for 37 to 40 minutes in a 300° oven.

These will puff up while in the oven, but don't be surprised when they fall quite flat when you remove them, that's the way it is. Remove with an egg lifter onto a plate and let cool. Put in a plastic bag after it has cooled. (I poke holes in a Ziploc bag to keep them from getting sticky and I store them in the fridge). The above recipe will make 2 pans full (12 total) ~ can be halved.
-------------------------------------------
* Parmesan Buns *

To the Basic recipe, add in with the yolk mixture:

1/4 cup grated (powdered) Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
any other spices you may like

When you form them, you can sprinkle on dehydrated minced onions and bake as above. They really taste much more like 'onion buns'.
--------------------------------------------

* Sweet Cinnamon Buns *

To the Basic recipe, add in with the yolk mixture:

3-4 packets Splenda (equals 6-8 tsp sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)

Bake as above. These are great for making French toast with, or spreading some sweetened cream cheese 'frosting' on top.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:15

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

These sound wonderful! I am definetely going to have to try them
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/172/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 48%

Jake, one thing to contemplate is setting an intermediate goal - say 250 - which would be a pretty good loss from your current weight - and use the calorie level for that, rather than your final goal.

It seems to me that you need more calories to keep your loss going.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:28
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

All the ingredients on the bread look ok for induction. Wonder if that means the final product is ok

The cream cheese worries me because I'm trying to avoid dairy, but maybe cooked it won't upset my tummy.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:46

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default Re: HELP! Need Ideas/Ready to BINGE

Quote:
Originally posted by mammoth
Hi All;
I have a headache...I am feeling "mean" as in irritable.

I am tired of the things I am having for lunch...I am HUNGRY still, most afternoons...an STARVING RIGHT NOW...I am fine with breakfast and dinner, but LUNCH is causing me problems.

STARVING Jake

<font color="Blue"><b>You took the words right out of my mouth, Jake! I was just standing on the patio mummbling to myself...."I am so sick of eating meat, eggs and salad!! Is it really worth it!"

I love being slender and having energy but I have to say I am soooo tired of this food. I just can't imagine eating like this the rest of my life! I know I can add foods (more veggies; whoopie!) on OWL, then maybe some nuts and fruit after that, but I'm just having a rough time wrapping my arms around this diet right now!

I will have been on Induction for a month tomorrow. Adding another cup of veggies ain't gonna do it for me, I'm afraid. I WANT PASTA! I WANT A BURGER! I WANT A PHILLY CHEESE STEAK WITH REAL BREAD!

Breakfast is getting difficult for me because #1 - I've never been hungry in the morning and I'm still not. #2 - I'm sick of eggs! Lunch is also difficult for me because to me lunch is a burger, or sandwich, or pasta....always has been and I'd be a liar if I didn't I say I miss them. Lunch is IMPOSSIBLE! I usually have a chef salad OR cube steak and sauted asparagus (yes, I have to cook it but I LOVE to cook). Dinner is the easiest, but it's still meat and veggies. What I hate about dinner is having to cook one thing for hubby and another for me. I love cooking but not that way!

I thought this diet would be easy for me because I've always loved steak and eggs and salads and veggies. So I silly me thought, "This will be a piece of cake!" (oopsie, no cake!) However, I had no idea I'd get sick of all three in just a month.

I wish I had some answers for you, Jake, but as you can see, I'm struggling a bit myself. Maybe just knowing you're not alone may help....but it won't fill you up, unfortunately.

Good Luck and Hang in There!
Morgan
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Morgan,

Did you see my bun recipe above? You can make hamburgers with them and they don't fall apart. I love to make bacon cheeseburgers with these buns. I've even used them for hotdogs. I also like to crumble a little bacon them pour melted Jarlsberg cheese on top. If you miss burgers, give these a try.

ljm
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:54
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Just to give a kind of different perspective here-When I get that way and just seem to stay hungry all day I find that I have a whoosh in a couple of days. I do eat when I am hungry like that-it seems my body is testing me to see if I am going to feed it-when I do, it decides to drop some weight or some inches.

Maybe this is a prelude to a visit from the whoosh fairy!
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 22:00

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Default I understand hungry!

Dear Anonymous Jake!

I was like this the other night, everything looked good to me! Hell even things I don't like were testing me. I felt vulnerable, REALLY hungry and even found myself pondering a cheat.

INSTEAD.........i think i ate about 12 buffalo wings with celery and blue cheese!!!! THEN since my mind was in a state, i microwaved cheese for cheese crackers and loaded them with salsa. TOTALLY blew my calories for the day and my weight jumped with all the salt.

BUT i'm still in induction and feel this is a better way to deal with those "outta control carb demons" than giving into them.

Just my 2 (cents)........btw when women get hungry we get bitchy......is that the male equivalent for mean?? j/k
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 22:00
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Can I have a pet woosh fairy, pweeeeeze?

I'll be really nice to it and do what ever it wants honest.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 22:01

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Default Sorry, type error there

NOT still in induction, still in ketosis
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 06:59

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Cardio?

Jake,
I don't know what your work schedule is like, but if you can figure out when you're hungriest, and do some intense cardio at that time (Bike, jog, etc.)-- really work up a sweat-- it might help you feel more in control of your hunger. It works for me. I workout during my lunch hour and I'm not hungry for lunch until 2 or 3.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 09:37

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default Re: Have I got a deal for you...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellejaiem
Here is a recipe for some "bread" that is legal. I calculated the carb count ~ 1 carb per bun (1/12th of mixture), about 58 calories, 3g fat, & 3g protein.

ljm

<font color="blue"><b> Thanks, ljm! I will definitely try this. Bet I don't have the cream of tartar in the house, though, since I never have been a baker. I will definitely get some and try this, though. The lc breads taste like sawdust to me or maybe even kitty litter! I will try this, thanks!!

Tried a deviled egg for breakfast because I just couldn't look at another fried or scrammbled egg! Didn't think the egg was going to stay down at first and I've always LOVED deviled eggs. I guess, no matter how much you love something, you get sick of it after a while if you have it everyday! Ugh!

Good luck to you!
Morgan