Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/216/115 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

ahhaba,

Boy I have a lot of problems with his email/post. First it doesn't sound like he is very knowledgable regarding the Promino Plus, because it is for weightloss plus other things and he doesn't sound very knowledgable on low carb eating either. The other thing that bothered me is if it was just about my attitude I would not have gained weight in the first place!!! It is not a personality flaw it is about having a metabolism that doesn't function properly. That is why dr Atkins is right on the money with his theory, and so far it has been working for me, it's not about counting calories or fat, it is about stablizing your blood sugar. I have tried everything from low fat diets, to counting calories, to doing Jenny Craig, weight Watchers, Liquid Diet, Nutri Systems, the Hot Dog diet, the Soup diet. Yes I of course lost weight, but the minute I went off usually because I was starving, I gained it all back plus more. Plus I was in perfect shape up until I hit 30yrs old, then the old genes kicked in and it's been down hill. I'm trying to reverse the process with the low carb eating, I've been extremely pleased.

I will tell you this, every person who is a trainer, weightloss counselor, etc will have an opinion on what "they" think will work for you. I have yet to met a trainer that endorses the low carb way of eating. They insist you must have more carbs then what Dr. Atkin advises, and they will tell you exactly when you are suppose to eat these carbs. The way I decide on what supplements to use, I ask people who use the products, and I research it. Then if after my research it still sounds good, and safe I will try it. If it works for me I continue using it if it doesn't work for me I stop. I get tired of people who think they know it all try to tell me what I should take. People are different and supplements will effect people differently. It's no different then prescriptions, I take allergy and asthma medicenes, some products don't work at all on me and some products work great, that's why doctors tell you to try a prescription and see how it makes you feel. They don't say oh you have to take this product because it's specifically designed for your problem and it works. They allow you to give feedback on how the prescription is working. You have to take the same approach with supplements. Don't let some Yahoo who thinks he know's it all cause he's been selling this stuff for 17 years tell you what to take. Listen to different people who are actually taking the supplement. The more people you can find using the product the better you can make a decision.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 250/243.8/121
BF:
Progress: 5%

OK, I asked Joe why he advised me against hGH initially and here is his reply:

Bebs,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the nice commecnts on our site. The board is new and we do hope more people start using it as it is a great way to get REAL people exchanging REAL information.

I think I have an understanding on your issues. I have been in the fitness/supplement business for over 17 years. The key to this entire concept of losing wieght and getting in better shape is your attitude! I think you have the right attitude so that we can get past. You have decided to do something for your self. No one is going to do it for you. So do not give up!

We have to start with the basics. Are you exercising now?? How much?? How many calories are you taking in a day?? You have to look at this for the long run. It took years to get to the point/shape you are in now. You can be completely different in 1 to 2 years. Don't think about next week or the next pound think about changing your life style.

I will recommend some products and here is why: You need proper nutrition for your body to do what it is supposed to do. You should be on a good multi vitamin:Womens Multi next I would suggest a good protein/meal replacement low in carbs:Jay Robb WHEY. Then I would suggest a good fat burner like Beverly International LEAN OUT

This will giv eyou the basics to start with. Then it is up to you to get some type of exercise on a daily basis, walking jogging or join a health club. You must start to burn more calories than you are taking in. This is a simple math problem. More claories in than you are buring, you gain weight. Burn more than you are taking in LOSE weight. Think about that at every meal. THe harder you exercise the more you can reward yourself now and then.

I would not start with a GH product yet. I think we are gettin ahead of ourselves. We need to start with the foundation and work our way up. One other product I would start you with would be calotren This is a great product for general health and it helps promote weight loss.

After a few months on products that we just talked about will give you increased energy and help you sleep at night. YOU have to do the rest, eat right, low carbs is good but not too low, that is why you are running out of energy at the end of the day. You will need more carbs based on how much you exercise. Start your workouts ASAP.

Remember this if nothing else, lower your calories in, burn more calories each day and look at this for the long run. Don't get on a scale but once a month! The more muscle you develope the more you will naturally burn fat, this is a win win situation!

Stop back and let us know how you are doing. I hope you have success!

Joe Godar
Supplementstogo.com

Bebs

posted Tue July 29 2003 05:45 AM
Hi Joe, THANK YOU for your helpful and prompt reply. I respect the fact that as an experienced PT plus a moderator (founder?) of this forum you know what you are talking about and have decided to leave Promino plus or Ageless Growth for now. However I think I mentioned that I am a member of a low carb slimming programme forum which has a section on nutrition and supplements.........this is were I originally found out about Promino Plus from ISS Research - a fellow member is taking it with excellent results. A few of the members there want to know (as I do) WHY you reckon that I'm not yet ready for hGH? Is it my excessive weight? Please feel free to speak frankly as I intend to post your reply to my initial post ("I'm a 45yr old etc etc post) on this forum which has many members all very into LC diets and the supplements that go hand in glove with it.

Because so little info is available on hGH it would be very enlightening to hear your take on the subject. I have to say that I believe that the girl who started taking Promino plus w/excellent results is alot less overweight.....I wonder if this is the determining factor.

I have decided against Beverley International Lean Out for now as I already have most of the supplements that make up this product. I intend to get it when my bottles of vits/mins/supps run out. I don't particularly like the thought of synthetic protein, I don't see the point when I give my body the best organic protein there is, I've also read adverse articles re protein powders and would prefer the microfiltered variety were I to change my mind. WHAT EXACTLY IS the point of whey powder Joe please? Finally I AM VERY INTERESTED in getting Calotren but its nearly $40 for shipping alone to the UK - I can't bring myself to spend so much on S&H dammit <g>.......I'd rather wait and get a few products in the hope that S&H will be alot more relative if you get my drift.

I'm not 100% sold on the fat burner supps either but only because (as with all my other points above) because I'm so ignorant re supplements etc. As LC diets are so different to LF diets I'm not sure if they work in tandem with ketosis. I have read that as long as fat is eaten with the MINIMUM amount of carbs (and then only GOOD carbs) that the calories of dietary fat will not be accounted for in the body and to be honest I have found this to be correct altho I don't know for how long - time will tell I guess.

I have consumed an average of 3000 calories PLUS and have lost 14lbs in 1 mth which does'nt correlate with the 3500 calories per lb at all. I dunno WHAT this means (do you?) all I know is that LF dieting had messed up my metabolism and has taken me 7 mths to heal.

Hope you can clear up a few hazy points ie WHY would Ageless Growth etc not be good for me at this point (there are a number of forum members who were waiting for me to let them know how hGH affected me so that they'd get some too).

Looking foreward to your reply

Kind Regards
Bebs

Joe
Administrator
posted Tue July 29 2003 10:12 AM
Bebs,

Great questions! It is not that I am against Ageless Growth for you, what I needed to know was a little more about your diet and exercise programs. I am in the health and fitness/supplement business. We see too many people looking for quick fixes. We like to see people take a more natural approach. Supplements are used when you can't get the natural stuff in your diet.

It does appear that you are covering your bases with the multi vites and getting the proper protein. If you lost 14lbs in one month that is great. Are you exercising? Your body will react better to any supplement if given the natuarl fat buring is taking place. The supplements will aid in this process but not replace it. That is more the idea I was trying to pass on. A fat burner like Lean Out is not intended to work without exercise. The L Carnetine will help with your bodys ratio of fat burning to carb buring during exercise. It makes the fat readily available to burn instead of grabbing carbs first.

A program should include proper dieting, the right supplements and exercise. When these three things come together, people see the best results and are more likely to continue on this lifestyle.

If you are taking a multi vite and getting the proper amount of protein, then I would say to try a GH product likeAgeless Growth We feel it is one of the best to come along in years. Human growth hormone (hGH) is a protein hormone secreted into the blood by the anterior pituitary gland. It is the major hormone responsible for growth in humans after birth. It acts on a variety of tissues including bone, cartilage and muscle. While most people know of its anabolic actions, many don’t know that it is also involved in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism through interactions with other hormones. Due to these interactions it is just a good idea to have the basic fundamentals of vitamins and proteins in your system for the GH to work properly.

That is why I asked about your vitamins and protein intake. I just needed more information on YOU! It sounds like you are really trying and paying attention to what you are doing.

You can order from us and have only one shipping charge. So it may make sense to wait and place an order with other products to get your shipping cost per item down.

If you are doing what you say I WOULD try the Ageless Growth. I would not tell someone to just start taking this to lose weight, it is more complicated than that. In a properly supplemented diet with exercise I think you will see greast results with it.

Let your other frineds know the same thing. Take a long range look at your diet and exercise. If you have your bases covered with proper vitamains and protein/carbs, then it is a good idea to step up to the GH! That is the point of the earlier post.

I hope this helps and keep trying! Everyday you are getting closer to your goals. Take it one day at a time!

Joe Godar
Supplementstogo.com
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:48

BF:

So he just wanted to make sure you were taking vitamins with your HGH??? Well yeah, any one who reads the label will know HGH doesn't cover your vitamin requirements. I take vitamins, CLA, and HGH. I'm not a fan of fat burners.

But then you have to look at his motive, his business is selling supplements, and he's not gonna be objective. Bottom line he wants your money. If he can get you to buy some other stuff he will.

Those of you who are taking HGH what flavors have you tried? I've tried Lemon-lime, orange pineapple, and fruit punch. I like the fruit punch best so far, the other ones are to acidic for me.

I had a thrilling moment yesterday, I went out and grabbed a size 16 off the rack, and it not only did it fit it was a little baggy! I may be in a size 14 shortly! I haven't been in a size 14 in 10 yrs!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:42

Stats: 340/310/240 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Just an update…
I have been using Promino plus for about 6 weeks. I have just been full of energy for the last few days and can’t believe how great I feel. I have great gains in building muscle and loosing fat. I am really beginning to see the benefits in better sleep, better mood, muscle gain and fat loss. The morning Promino drink wakes me up and as long as I don't have any caffeine I do not have any downs from it. The PM drink puts me to sleep and for the first time in years I dream every night, I wake up feeling great. When I work out I do not get tired.

ahhaba, be careful with Ageless Growth, I have heard that pills and sprays do not work, It needs to be in bubbly drink to get where it needs to go not a pill. Please really research before buying. The products that do not work give fuel to the hGH naysayers.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 02:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hello everybody

Yeah, after re-reading everything again I'm editing my original message which I felt was abit anal and have decided to go with what you said Laural as your way of looking at things (supplements/research/ppl's reactions/etc) is also the way I generally go about things. I think I was giving supplementstogo too much kudos when at the end of the day its as you say really, all money, money, money and I guess SOME info too but as you said we already take enuff vits God knows and after some thought I decided that I was being naiive again . I had actually told this Joe that I was wary of Ageless Growth because I had'nt heard anything about it and being so new it would have hardly had time for any bad side-effects to have hit the news so in my heart of hearts I knew it was gonna be Promino-Plus for me.

Seeing I'm on one-tel (cheap international calls) I'm gonna try calling ISS Research on Monday you guys just to feel more "at one" with the daddy of Promino Plus LOL LOL. Socalshark, thanks for your info mate, Laural is def correct in that knowing actual ppl who have no interest in making money but just have the common goal of losing weight and feeling great with each other and sharing all the good stuff - this is what makes us feel confident enuff to go ahead and try something. So I'm going for the orange and pineapple as well as the fruit punch (might as well just have 1 shipping fee to pay) and I'll do it direct from the gran pappy of P-Plus.

I'll keep you posted.

But for anyone else who does'nt want to try hGH, I'm currently taking Solgars Formula VM-75 and thier energy modulators too with v.good results. I have been doing some research and I'm starting to think that perhaps those of us suffering from fatigue or CFS may have a problem with a poor digestive system. So, I urge you to start researching this avenue as I am doing myself as it rings true for me at least.

Back Soon

You guys on hGH THANK YOU for your input, please keep it up and I'll join you when I have some news.

Laural and Socalshark and one other whose moniker escapes mr just now...........WOO-HOO way to go guys.....keep on doing great and sharing your good news with us, we need to hear it

xxxx

Last edited by ahhaba : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 03:32.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:25

BF:

Yeah! I'm down another pound, and my size 16's are getting baggy. I'm amazed because I've been taking care of my dog after his surgery and I haven't worked out in weeks and but I'm still losing.

Ahhaba did you call ISS? How are you doing with your weightloss? Have you gotten your HGH yet?

I'm waiting for my new shipment of HGH I just don't like the orange pineapple, but will continue to take it until the fruit punch arrives.

Laural
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for reminding me Laural - this week has been a tornado of a week and I have completely forgotten about ISS, the phonecall etc but I will DEFINITELY be doing it within the next 2 days (tomorrow will be a heavy day as we're selling my pet puppy which means I will be totally depressed probably) but I will call them as I have a list of questions I compiled which I need to ask. I'll let you all know the outcome.

BTW Laural, I hope you don't mind my being personal but are you still 216lbs? I only ask because a baggy size 16 seems awfully small for someone at 216lbs........that said I like my clothes tight too and have been known to wear the odd pair of Lycra mix pants at around 225lbs in a size 16.......and looked pretty cool in them too (not just my thoughts.....<blush blush>)

WELL DONE on the continual losses - keep up the good work. What with my pet dog going and a new business getting off the ground......I have let my WOE go by the wayside. Not eating alot, just not cooking and eating all the wrong stuff which makes me feel bloated. I will be getting back on form VERY shortly however.....fingers crossed.

Hope the rest of you are doing as well.

God Bless
VM
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:10

BF:

Hi Ahhaba,

Awwww why are you selling your puppy?

Nope I don't mind the personal questions, yup I am 216 and a regular size 16 is becoming baggy on me. I carry a lot of muscle, I use to body build, and I'm 5'7" so I think that has a lot to do with why my weight is 216.

The ideal size for me is a size 7, anything less than that I would look anorexic. To be in a size 7 I would need to weigh between 115pds - 125. But it's been 10 yrs, since I've been that thin so I'll have to see if everything will go back to the way it was or if I need some extra skin removed or a bust lift. Hope that answers your questions.

What kind of business are you starting?

laural
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:23
Registered Member

Stats: 250/212/175 Male 5'11
BF:29%
Progress: 51%

Thanks for the informative post, i may try this stuff. Considering ima gym rat and lift 3-5 times a week, this may be very benifical for me
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 16:08

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Default 2-3 week HGH & CLA finding

Okay I'm posting an update
I've been taking CLA 4.5 gram(6x 750mg) daily....
ISS ProminoPlus daily "HGH"
I use carb blocker(Wafers) when I have a cheat night(1-2 weekly but in moderation)
TwinLabs Daily One w/o iron
Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg
CQ10 50mg
Alpa Lipoic Acid 250 mg
Silymarin(Milk Thistle Extract) 150 mg
L-Carnitine 500 mg

34' waist is getting loose(really loose..like fall off me loose) and 32 is no problem I've been wearing them for two weeks.
I weight 180 after work today . I started at 217 or more (I didn't weight at first)
I've lost around 1.5-2in in the waist since I started CLA and HGH 2-3 weeks and 5in. total
So as Of today...37 lbs since 5/15 or 6/1 when I got really serious

On my School nights Mon.- Wed. - Fri. I mixup a Protien shake for Dinner.. I use Optimum 100% Whey Protien only 2 carb and 22g protien per scoop and I use two scoops with a table spoon of crunchy peanut butter and maybe a scoop of low-carb Ice cream for about 50-60g of protien.
The other nights I eat some sort of meat and 1- veggy item
Lunches...I take that .55 cent sandwich meat in the packages and one or two Philly cream individual packages(small 1oz. package like McDonalds ketchup) or 1-2 Hamburger pattys with Hot Sauce on them

I do cheat.... because I fill like a lot of people here is that you need to cheat in moderation so that your body thinks your eating junk again and it speeds up... and then you slam it with your Low carb'ing and you go back to loosing.....
My goal is 170 now

One last thing for you people with thyroid problems....I have none!
Lost it 5 years ago due to cancer..and I take .300 Synthroid...So no excuses!!

Also does anyone have any recommends for supplements I'm missing for sugar controlling and burning fat ???? I'm all ears

******July 28th posting*****
Here is something weird.. the weekend before last I bought a size 32 waist work pants..thinking this will motivate me because before I started I was wearing a tight 34 and a comfortable 38 wiast size(I'm male and when I got home I tried them on and I could button them up but they were very tight...Not wearable Yet...and I've been stalling around 186-187lbs. for a couple weeks so I cut decaf coffee and cheese last thursday-friday and I bought some CLA plus I'm on the ProminoPlus(for over a week) well sunday I hit 184...today 184..and after work 184
and I swear I've lost inches because I'm going to wear those pants tomorrow because the 34's are getting pretty baggy
at 184 thats mkaes a total of 33 lbs since 5/15 !!

Last edited by CASD : Thu, Aug-14-03 at 16:16.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 17:42

BF:

CASD, Great job.
For sugar controolling, I am asuming you mean cravings. Try Keto brand Carb Kooler. It comes in Cranberry Lemonade and Grape. It has Vit. B6, Zinc Chromium, Potassium L-Glutamine and Taurine. Drink it in place of colas and other beverages. It really helps
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:19

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Hi all
I've lost a total of 38lbs now only 10 to go...
and yes I've cheated alot in the last 3-4 weeks or I'd be there :/ but hey...I'm still losing
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 281/272/205 Male 68.5 inches
BF:29/28/10
Progress: 12%

What my opinions about HGH releasers are.
They certainly do work. I bought some but I havent really started using it. However, My personal training professor at Greenville Tech was a body builder. He used a some of Pinnacle brand HGH products. He soon after start getting headaches. Not just in one place but all over in different places. He went to a doctor told the doctor what he was using. they ran some test and get this.
His headaches were caused by his skull bones shifting.
the HGH releasers actually cause him to release enough HGH to the point that he was building new bone in his skull. the plates that supposedly seal from when you were a child start growing and moving. If you thing these OTC HGH supplements think twice and be careful, you just might start growing again.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:30

Stats: 182/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:who knows?
Progress: 44%

I was reading this thread and I am finding myself interested in what ya'all are doin'.
CASD-Laural--what is CLA that ya are takin'? Share I need something to jump start me...
Come visit when you have time...
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:52

BF:

Hello Mary
Still at 310# but putting on alot more lean muscle, pumping up like a ballon. I Feel great. The CLA is liquid form, called CLA plus with Clarinol Orange creamsicle flavor. made by Performace Biomedical Laboratories. Helped jump start me with the Promino plus.