Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 11:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I haven't cheated yet, and I've been doing this for eleven months. These last 2.5 lbs, I can't seem to get rid of! I don't think I will have a carb-blowout anytime soon. Why, when we have those great peanut butter cups from the forum recipe to munch on?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 12:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/123/119 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I was going to ask the same thing when I found this thread. The answers are so encouraging. I'm going to have a planned carb blow-out today after following atkins since June 1st. I've lost 9 pounds so far but not seen much scale movement lately. I was wondering if anyone who has done this has seen the scale go UP, and by how much, and also how long it took to get back down. I'm really curious to hear about the possible effects. This has been a really interesting thread. I will also post to let you know what happens to me

Last edited by selphie : Sun, Jun-22-03 at 12:18.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 12:31

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was obsessed with a carb blowout while on Induction. Since I hit ongoing weight loss, I've been able to play with a bunch of alternative foods to meet my cravings, such as pizza, breads, tacos, sandwiches, pancakes, etc.

Oh, and don't forget the ice cream! Le Carb rocks, and the Carbolite Soft Serve is pretty nice too!

If not for all the frankenfoods (which haven't affected my losing thank goodness), I'd still be planning that binge day=)
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 12:40

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

While i am also interested in how things effect certain people (losing lbs after cheating, etc.) i can also attest to the craving/falling off the wagon thing. I have been discouraged by my results lately, and the other night, after a tough long day at work, the thought of making food was out of the question. So i went to McDonalds, and got a combo - totally cheated. Then the next day i had a big cookie, and yesterday i had another. The night i had the McD's i said 'ok, just tonight'.. and it has just kept going. I am going to make a concious effort to not allow this to make me perminently fall off the wagon. I have come a long way, and i know how easily it is to have those lbs sneak back on you! As far as weight gain goes, i haven't gained anything, although i felt nasty after eating the McD's. But i am confident that if i dont snap out of it, it could lead to a very bad situation
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 14:34

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

heres what i think are the final results of my carb blowout meal (which was modest, just the big thick bread on one sandwhich)

tuesday - ate the meal
wednesdsay - up one lb
sunday (today) - down 5 lbs

..... i guess it works, eh? at least this time. i hadnt lost anything for about a week and a half prior. im sure if i were going to gain more weight from my cheat it would have happened by now. i wouldnt do it for a whole day though, too risky.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 18:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/142/130 Female 64
BF:?
Progress: 48%
Default eating hi-carb food

Actually, my step sisters mom is on a LC diet ( i believe it is atkins-not sure) and she goes to a workout place called "Curves." Dont know if anyone has heard about it, they are here in Michigan. It is a place for women to work out with cardio and weights and they measure you every week or so. But anyway, they actually told her to eat carbs to "reset" her body into burning more. I dont know how many they told her to eat exactly.

I have been doing extremely well on my diet for a month now and this past week i have not lost any weight. So i was getting kinda bummed.
So today on our way home from camping for the weekend, my fiancee and i stopped at dairy queen and i got a small oreo blizzard. And let me tell you it was DELICIOUS!! But it satisfied me and i have no want to go and eat anymore. I mean, by eating that one blizzard does not make me want to say "to heck with the diet."
So we'll see if the scale becomes my friend again this week and if i start to lose again that will be great!

I will keep ya informed!
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 18:58

Stats: 153/142/130 Female 64
BF:?
Default Re: beer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelley J
Do you think having a couple of light beers a few nights a week count??

Hey, i drink on the weekends (miller Lt.= 3.2 carbs) but i watch how many i drink and throughout the day i plan to not eat any or very little carbs cause i know i am going to drink beer. but it's weird, i have noticed that i feel thinner and on some occasions after the weekend i have lost weight. So for me personally it does not harm me (so far).

Good luck to you!!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 17:25
Registered Member

Stats: 175/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default blowout week........

We are doing major renovations in our home and it's been extremely hot so for the past week I have been eating more
fast food take-out, MD's, Pizza, etc. My kids think this is great!
I'm so afraid to step on the scale so I have mentally blocked
this week out of mind and hope to start fresh next week.
I'm not going to beat myself up over this..just losing weight has
been a major hurdle and I'm proud of it.

Reading all your posts we all are in it for the long run, so don't
feel guilty or sick because you had a bad day, tomorrow is
another day or in my case another week.

Hang in there everyone...........
n
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 20:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

After 4 weeks on the WOE, I cheated just a smidge yesterday. Went on a picnic, had a salad and roasted chicken and a small bite of Rum cake and half a slice of cheesecake. I regretted it an hour later when I had a killer headache. However, sometime between Friday morning when I normally weigh myself and this morning I lost 2 and a half pounds. Normally I wouldn't have known, since I only weigh in on Fridays, but I hadn't put the scale away and it was just calling me. Woo hoo, lets just hope i don't gain it back in water weight.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 22:56

Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%

I started a thread looking for lab-rats to do a carb blowout day with me Sunday. Been stalled in losing for 3 wks and willing to try anything. Everyone was much too afraid to chance it, but I went for it anyhow.
I found that I couldn't eat a whole lot, mainly because of my diminished apetite. I used breads as my main source (sandwich and pizza) and a tall glass of ovaltine with 2% milk. It was wonderfully delicious just very filling and gave me heartburn. The scale is down 1 lb today and I am already back into mid ketosis. (surprisingly)
The biggest downfall is my bathroom trips today. (if ya know what I mean)
Will post more in the next day or two to let you know if this was really worth it.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 06:35

Stats: 250/244/175
BF:
Progress: 8%
Talking thanks for all these responses!

Hey, thanks for all these great responses! I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but haven't had much free time (hey, it takes time to cook all this meat!)

Anyway, I'm really thinking there's something to this. I spoke yesterday with a patient at the medical office where I work. She's pencil thin, and says she used to run a fitness/nutrition center. She advised me to do what she's always told folks to do, which is to eat low-carb throughout the week, then add carbs back on the weekends but only in moderation.

She says that eating the carbs will keep the metabolism going. As I said, I think there's something to this, but I'm not going to start adding back carbs all weekend just yet

I do think I'm going to do what my friend does and have myself a free carb day at the 3-week point, which will be this weekend. Think I'll do it Saturday. We have a new steakhouse opening just up the street (in fact, it opens today ... a Logan's Roadhouse) and I think I'm going to have bread and a SWEET POTATO!!! (arrrrggg .... drooooool). Also, I've been wanting one of those McGriddle thingies from McDonald's.

Anyways, depending on how my progress goes back on LC the next week, I might just try another carb day the following weekend again (instead of waiting for 3 weeks). It will all depend on progress.

Speaking of which, today is the end of my 2-week induction. I've been fairly strict ... meaning, I've perhaps eaten too much salad at times, I once ate three chicken strips at KFC, and over this last weekend I stuck my finger in the peanut butter jar a couple of times. However, I think I can safely say I've lost between 10 and 13 pounds in those two weeks. And physically, I feel terrific!

I had actually been stalled since late last week, and I was getting hungry and a bit down on things. Yesterday after work I came home and cooked up two little bacon-wrapped filets, two eggs scrambled, and a small pile of green beans. I tell you, those green beans, the first I've eaten in two weeks, tasted like friggin' German chocolate cake!

And this AM, the scale is definitely down by a couple of pounds. Inspiration enough, I guess. I'll definitely be continuing the LC lifestyle.

Merry eating to all, and to all a good meal!

(er ... whatever)

--Aaron
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 06:54

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Default ok...today is the day

i will not wait until the fourth fo july. i am going for pancakes this morning. i will let you all know what happens. as i said it can't be going any slower than this
-catherine
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 07:05

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

Good morning! I`d love to hear the results of those who did a carb blowout! Now, eating carbs, does that mean only so called forbidden carbs, or more of the allowable carbs..i.e. 30 daily carbs to 50? Thanks for your responses!!

Julie
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 07:27

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default Re: Anyone do a "carb blowout day" occasionally?

Quote:
Originally posted by absinthe
Does anyone here do, or has anyone heard of, "shocking your system with carbs" every three weeks or so?

Anyone heard of this? Anyone do something like this? It sounds great, and it gives one something to look forward to. I'd like to try it, but would like to hear some other testimonials first ...

--Aaron

<font color="blue"><b>Well, I haven't had a blow-out or even cheated in the 5 weeks I've been eating LC. Unfortunately, I've been stuck at the same weight for the last week+ and it's very frustrating, but I will either do this correctly, or not do it at all. That's just the way I am.

I've read both of Dr. Atkins' books and I didn't read anything where he even remotely suggested blow-outs were ok; so I'm sticking to this WOE even though my scale took a screeching halt.

If I remember correctly, one reason he doesn't want you to cheat is he is trying to get you to change your eating "habits," and if you have blow-outs or cheats, you'll never completely lose the cravings for the wrong foods.

I'm sticking strictly to Atkins, myself. That's not to say I won't EVER cheat the rest of my life....but I'm not going to do it deliberately. JMO

Good Luck to all!!
Morgan
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 07:29

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:

julie,
i am going to stick with good carbs....like the pancakes are made with wild rice and raspberries. i will have real maple syrup and coffee.

i may have a baked potato...something to put that sour cream on and steak and steamed veggies and butter. if i have sugar it will be premium ice cream. i have given up processed foods for good