Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 5 ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

I cheated for about an hour one day last week I went to a chinese place I felt like my stomach was going to explode when i got done it was terrible I had to stop by the store on my way home and get some rolaids I popped about 5 of them and felt better, also i was kinda short on breath so i think i will just stick to low carb i told my boyfriend never let me do that again!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/166.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:39/36.5/30
Progress: 45%

Two weekends ago, after being stalled for weeks, I decided to go off Atkins for a 3-day weekend. The day before, I had walked for a few hours. There were three things I decided I wanted--brownies, ice cream and cinnamon rolls. I had half of a 6 X 9 pan of frosted brownies and 3 cinnamon rolls over two days - no ice cream. I lost 2 pounds with the walking and only gained half a pound back with the food.

When I started Atkins, I decided that if this one lady at work ever brought in her famous 'so-gooey-they-choke-you' brownies, I would have them no matter what. Well, that day was today. Guess I'll find out in the next couple of days what happens. Wish it hadn't been so close to my 3-day weekend.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:29
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, this is really interesting. I am a newbie here (this is my first post). I am obsessive about my carbs. I literally won't eat it unless I know exactly how many carbs are in it. I guess a lot of people here are like this, tho. Ive been on the diet for about 8 weeks and have lost 25lbs (have 15 more to go) and really enjoy it. I'd been doing a low-carb diet for a few years so it wasn't that different except for adding fat and eliminating fruit. I've noticed I really won't lose very much weight if I don't work out or drink enough water. Unfortunately my cat is ill and is in isolation in my work-out room so I haven't worked out in a couple weeks and won't for 2 more until he gets released.

Anyway, I have been stalled for about 12 days so I think I may try this hicarb meal binge and see what happens. Maybe eat some fruit and some pizza and see what happens. Kinda cool to experiment on yourself. This newsgroup is really cool, though. Lots of great info!!!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

No, because I know that for me personally, one time blowing it and I would make allowances for "just one more time".

Maybe some would disagree, but Dr. Atkins says in DANDR book that cheating one meal can set you back in weight for one week. Not sure which week that is in this way of eating.

Joe remember this is not a diet. It's a way of eating that keeps your blood sugars level, thus your insulin doesn't spike and yell "I'm hungry" 24/7.

As for your buddy eating KFC, well, just ask Brandon here about that. He's great at explaining that one! Eh, Brandon?

Annie
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:44

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am too early into it to determine I will do this. I have no plans to do this as of right now though
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 20:23

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well through out this forum, several Cheat topics come and go, some people can handle a day then get back on, for others, it's a dangerous invitation, the one cheat day leads to 2 and so on.

The other thing to remember is that the weight does'nt show up the next day................ could surprise you 3 days later, thus in some cases of people who say they are o.k. to do this, may just be why they have been L.C. for more than a year and still not near their goal?????? Just a thought

I don't think there is anything wrong with the RARE, one treat on a Special Occ, but a day? Nope not me

Cheers Kathy
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 21:34

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I haven't had a blowout day yet. I'm thinking that after I reach my goal, I might have a day once a week, where I can either eat all the fruit and starchy veggies (other than French Fries which contain Trans-Fat) I want. No grain on that day, except maybe a cup or less of spaghetti. The only other grain I plan to eat (on occassion) are matzo balls, which aren't too high in carbs anyways. I have no plans to ever eat foods high in refined sugar (soda and candy) ever again.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 09:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Good work, CC!

CC, your stats are amazing. Very impressive and encouraging to me!
Annie-Pie
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 10:25
Registered Member

Stats: 188/166.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:39/36.5/30
Progress: 45%

Well, after all the brownies yesterday, I lost a pound. I know...like Kathy said, the weight may show up a couple days from now. But I'm happy today. I figure if I don't take any more days off and keep exercising, maybe I won't gain anything.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 14:13

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

coincidentally, on tuesday i cheated a bit for one meal and had some bread. amazingly, im down 3lbs since then where i had been stalled before. I think maybe having a few carbs might kick you into gear if you get stuck for too long. But i didnt go overboard with the bread, i just had ordered a sandwhich at a restauarant and when i got it, the bread looked too good to pass up :-p it didnt trigger and cravings either.. but maybe im lucky that it didnt.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 14:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%

For myself, I have been LC for 7 wks. Lost 15lbs the first four, am still on induction and not lost a lb the last 3 weeks. Have allowed myself the once a week "occasional" cheat (hamburger no fries) the last 3 wks. and am still stalled. My only excess carb was the bun. Not sure if that cheat was big enough to work or it only works for certain people.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 267/248/195
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally posted by new_here
coincidentally, on tuesday i cheated a bit for one meal and had some bread. amazingly, im down 3lbs since then where i had been stalled before. I think maybe having a few carbs might kick you into gear if you get stuck for too long. But i didnt go overboard with the bread, i just had ordered a sandwhich at a restauarant and when i got it, the bread looked too good to pass up :-p it didnt trigger and cravings either.. but maybe im lucky that it didnt.

This is such an interesting topic. I too had a similar experience. Actually two. The two times that I "cheated", I had white bread sandwiches. The first time, I lost 3 lbs the next day. The second time, I lost 2 lbs the next day. This could be pure coincidence and maybe I could have lost more weight if I didn't have those sandwiches. But, it's interesting that the weight loss occurred immediately after the cheats. There wasn't any weight loss for several days leading up to the two cheats. Interesting, very interesting. If it happens a third time, then maybe its not coincidence.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 20:52

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I really think it may depend on the person also.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 21:02

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

i just bought a book today called living low-carb and it says if youre planning on going off low carb for a meal, there are supplements you should take an hour before to minimize the negative effects. I havent read it yet but if anyone is interested, go check out the book, ill probably post something about it once i get to that part of the book. does anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by new_here : Sat, Jun-21-03 at 21:13.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 11:34

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I have been planning my first cheat day for a week now. I love sushi rolls! While I have not stalled, my weight loss has slowed waaayyyy down to about a pound a week so I think I might give this a try.