Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default 2 questions please

Hi Guys,
i have been busily reading my CAD book & am greatly looking forward to starting tomorrow

I have also been studying Zuleika's great cheat sheet but have 2 questions.

1). Soy flour is listed as ok... what about unsweetened Soy protein ??

2). (This one may sound really dumb) .. Are we allowed 4-6 oz of protein "&" cheese/eggs. Or is it either the meat "or" the eggs/cheese.

Appreciate your help guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 07:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's 4-6 oz. cooked protein total. Therefore you could have 2 eggs (4 oz.) and 2-3 strips of bacon or other protein (2 oz.).

Unsweetened soy powder should be ok. But are we talking drink mix? Because if it is SF but sweet tasting, CADers can react with higher insulin and thus weight stall, cravings. It's on of those YMMV things.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks very much, the Soy Protein is unsweetened so I assumed it was ok.
One other question though, I haven't noticed in the book what is the take on herbal teas ?? I am used to drinking them on Atkin's but am not sure... obviously the ones that have fruit juices are off limits but what about camomile & peppermint ??

Thanks very much for your help!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:39

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

The soy protein stalled me-Just a heads up!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:42
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Dcbrowne!!
That's interesting.....as I sometimes found that I couldn't stop drinking it in shakes at times. But I assumed that as it was unsweetened it should have been ok.
I think I'll stay away from it just to be sure.
Thanks for your quick response.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:16
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Zuleikaa,
Can you please clarify for me then that the combination of protein can also include cheese (as well as eggs) ?? I have noticed recipes on another website which did this.

Obviously the ratio would be smaller as we are only allowed 2 oz of cheese per CM ...is this right ??

thanks
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:44
Finding the Pieces

BF:

The secret to the stall causing shakes is the AS. If it tastes sweet, CADers bodies react as if it contained real sugar.

Relax a bit. You could have a two egg omelet with an ounce of cheese and still have a strip of bacon or two or a one ounce slice of ham. Or cut the ham up in the omelet. The cheese is limited but is counted towards your protein allowance. In other words, though you are limited to a max of two ounces of cheese per CM, you can combine it with other protein for up to a total of 6 ounces of total combined protein per CM.

So 2 eggs (4 oz.)
cheese (1 oz.)
1-2 strips bacon (1 oz.) or
ham (1 oz)
Total 6 oz. of protein

You have to remember that the weights for the bacon and ham are cooked weights. That's why you wind up with two strips
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks soo Zuleikaa
The penny finally dropped!!! I understand totally, I don't know why I was all mixed up!!
I appreciate your patience in expalining this, you've been really helpful!!
Do you know how CAD/CALP treats herbal tea ?? I would imagine the citrus based ones would be off limits, but what about camomile & peppermint.. if abit dubious I may stick to decaf.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 20:42
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Camomile and pepermint are my favorites but they taste kind of sweet. I wouldn't until you start loosing weight regularly. Then perhaps, you can add one in and see if you are stalled. Some CADers, me included are very sensitive to sweet tastes. I would stick to water.

You should never drink them alone, anyway. Only have them with food.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 21:09
Registered Member

BF:

I think that's good advice, it's not worth the risk.

Further to the protein amounts ... the CAD book states 3-4 of meat & 3-4oz for fish etc,, I can't see where it is mentioned whether it is cooked or raw??
Is it the CALP book that specifies 4-6 oz cooked as the total for protein ?? I haven't seen anything in the CAD book either re the 6 oz total for protein.
I'm afraid I am confusing myself again, I am used to the Atkins concept of measuring & am worried I will get this wrong!!

Is there a way you can clarify without taking up much more of your time ?? Basically if I know the total un cooked protein amount per CM (which is inclusive of meat, fish, cheese & eggs) I should be right.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 21:16
Registered Member

BF:

Let me just clarify... I am not questioning that you are wrong, I am just unsure why I am not reading the CAD book correctly..as I have not noticed the distinction between the amounts for cooked & raw vegies ??( ..I was assuming 2 cups total raw)
I really appreciate all your help..AGAIN
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

::ets and comforts polly ::

LOL relax a bit hon. the world isnt going to end if you eat 4.2 oz of meat or to much salad. The measurments in the book are guide lines. I have never measured food in my life. I dont think most of us measure or balance perfectly. we just kind of eat what fills us up and try to keep it to the list of foods in the book and try to keep the reward meal a little balanced.

Basically just ..

1. Stick to the foods on the list for CMs.

2. Satisfy your hunger but dont overstuff yourself

3. stay away from anything that even tastes a little sweet at first.
once you start losing weight and are comfortable with the
stricter guidelines you can try adding something sweet here
and there and see how it effects you and if you stall

4. follow the reward meal guidelines.

5 DONT STRESS ABOUT IT

Good luck

jaden
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 05:27
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jaden,
Thanks for the advice... I don't mean to sound stressed, I guess I am really used to the countless measuring with other diet (including Atkins from which I have just come). I just can't quite get my head around the concept of the RM & am expecting a catch somewhere.

Well. today was my first day & although I think I had a balanced RM I did stuff myself slightly. I think it's to be expected though & believe me I REALLY had a ball... my husband couldn't believe how happy I was
I am going to take a definite chill pill from now on & just enjoy this WOE.
Thanks again for the support!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 07:27
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Polly
No problem. A nutritionist's rule of thumb is
1. All protein portion sizes are cooked--because that's what goes in your stomach.
2. To derive raw weight equivalent from cooked protein serving size, add two ounces raw for every four ounces cooked desired.
3. Two cups of raw vegetables equal 1 cup cooked.

Now in CAD
It's true, it's not clear. Some recipes show 4 oz. cooked or that 1 lb of raw meat serves 3-4 people. Other places 1/2 lb. raw serves two. Cold cuts are given in 4 oz. per serving sizes and they are cooked.

In CALP the recipes are a little clearer and most are using 4 ounces of cooked weight per serving

Also in CALP the Hellers state that if you don't like raw vegetables, you can substitute 1 cup cooked for the raw.

Also of note. One of the recent heath findings is that generally women don't eat enough protein to maintain healthy muscle mass and repair tissue. IMHO most women should eat at least 12-16 ounces, cooked, protein a day.

Hope this helped.

Jaden is also right. Do relax a bit. You should never be hungry on CAD. If you are, you are eating something you shouldn't be or you aren't eating enough.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Mon, Jun-16-03 at 07:30.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 16:26
Registered Member

BF:

Ahaahhh... thanks Zuleikaa, I thought this may be the case, that the CALP book may be a little more specific. I have ordered it from the USA so hopefully it will arrive soon.
Yesterday was my first day & I loved it (I'll control the binge tonight though I think.. I got VERY excited to say the least!!)
However I was hungry during the day so I'm going to adjust my CMs today as I was strict on the ingredients but too low on the amount.
I am so glad to have found this forum, you are soo suppurtive!!
I noticed my weight was up this morning, but I would assume that this is to be expected when coming off Atkins.
Do you know how long it may take to settle & I can start to see some loss due to the new WOE ??