Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:28

Plan: Zone
Stats: 134/124/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hello all,
In some reading lately I've read about the link between artificial sweeteners including Slenda and an increase in leg pains and fibro problems. Also I know a lot about the use of natural progesterone cream to balance hormones and it's effect on fibro and deprssion. Progesterone is in charge of rebuilding the mylin sheath around the nerves and can really help with the pain. And not just short term like pain killers it helps heal the body. As well as helping with PMS, menopause, endrometriosis, misarriage, fibroids etc.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 01:01

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 227/169/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi,

I haven't been here for quite a while either, but knew I needed some support to keep up with my sugarbusters way of eating.

I have fibromyalgia also, and have taken magnesium for about 1 year. I would NOT be without it! It definitely helps stop the cramping you sometimes get in the evening when trying to sleep, and it just seems to help the muscles relax.

The second best thing (for me, that is) is that before taking magnesium regularly, my IBS was horrible. (I'm one who gets constipated - REALLY CONSTIPATED!). Once I started taking magnesium Oxide (400 mg 2x day) I'm as regular as clockwork.

So it benefits me two ways. I used to get the magnesium/malic acid combo which helped too, but lately have had trouble finding it, so I'm just taking the magnesium oxide.

Hope this info helps.
Hugs,

Cats2
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/218.5/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi All!

Magnesium & malic acid combo has worked well for me. I've been taking it for years and if I slack off, I notice it !!!

Here's a couple of websites to check out. The first site is Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's study results of how effective the magnesium/malic acid combo is in treatment of CFS:

http://www.in.nl/sites/me-cvs/E2001/CFS257.TXT

The next is a website where you can purchase Dr. Teitelbaum's Fibro-Care formula which he developed and uses in his tests:

http://www.e-tyh.com

Tracy -- The other supplement I won't go without for mood and pain is SAM-e. I'm no longer on any antidepressants--which for me is a miracle. But I won't say that it works for everyone, as even the makers of the brand most tested (Nature Made) will admit. On their website, they say that some people will still need an antidepressant, but the dose needed may possibly be lowered. The website strongly cautions you not to try taking both SAM-e and antidepressents at the same time unless you're under a doctor's supervision and I heartily agree! I weaned off the Paxil and started the SAM-e under my doctor's care--biochemical reactions going on in my body and brain is not something I feel at all competent to handle on my own!

Here's the website for SAM-e:

http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDa...sp?productid=71

Blessings!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 09:52

Plan: GI
Stats: 254/254/160 Female 74"
BF:
Progress:

Sorry for butting in here as I'm a newbie around these parts, but a long time Fibro/CFS sufferer...

It's common for sufferers of CFS to have low red blood cell magnesium levels - this is something you can ask your GP to run a test for. When I first got diagnosed with Fibro/CFS my magnesium levels were extremely low and my doctor (who's a GP with a special interest in CFS) thought that was the main cause of the muscle pain.

Unfortunately, Magnesium is not ingested terribly well orally and, if your red blood cell levels are already low, it's really very hard to get them up to normal levels with supplements alone. My doctor put me on a 6-month course of weekly intra-muscular injections of Magnesium mixed with B12 and that cut down the pain hugely. I know have a nebuliser machine which I put a 'dose' of Magnesium crystals in every night and breath the vapours from as it's ingested well that way too.

I've put some links to articles on Magnesium my Doctor has written:

Magnesium Deficiency
Correcting Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium Injections