Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/125 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi All -

Webfrog - thanks for starting this post. A month ago I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome after experiencing many of the same symptoms for years. It was a vicious circle of unexplained weight gain, depression, and exhaustion. I am and always have been very active and almost crazed about my eating habit. Doctors told me the depression was feeding my weight when all along I knew it was the other way around. They just assumed I was telling them one thing in the office but gorging myself at home. Not the case.

I was falling asleep at work after lunch and pretty much felt sluggish around the clock. I used to eat a breakfast bar in the morning, a veggie sandwich or salad for lunch, a garden burger or lean meat for dinner. I was stuck in the whole low fat mentality. Unfortunately, most low fat foods are pure carbs. So regardless of what all of the diet "experts" were telling me to do I was still experience abnormal weight gain. It wasn’t until I got married that someone noticed that things just weren’t right. My new husband, who had frequently ate dinner via a convenience store, was dropping weight due to my “healthy cooking” but I was still gaining. He saw me working out every morning and was just as puzzled by my weight. This gave me the confidence to be more insistent with my doctor who finally tested me for insulin resistance.

So right now, I’m carrying around a whopping 183 lb on a 5’1’’ frame. And while I have not lost a significant amount of weight yet with my new low-carb eating, I am experiencing a huge increase in energy and mood level. I figure that will happen eventually but if not, I’m just happy to.... well...be happy and awake!

Good luck to everyone on this tread. I will be back frequently to see how everyone is doing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 09:10

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 224/213/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Still working towards better health

Hello all,

I would love to say I'm back to 100% but it just hasn't happened yet. However, the good news is that all my numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides, etc.) are great. What's not 100% is my mood and my weight loss.

For the past few months I have been using a glucose monitor and testing my blood when I feel bad or really good to see where it's at. Anxiety always coincided with my glucose being around 70-73 (80-100 is normal). So, easy math, when my blood sugar starts getting low, bring it back up with complex carbs or natural sugar (apple, etc.) otherwise it can shoot high and drop back down again. I was really surprised how what seems like a small drop in blood sugar could effect me so dramatically and I'm really glad I know now. Knowledge is power. I'm also taking Omega 3. My chiropractor told me that Omega 3 helps repair damaged cells. Damaged cells are what causes the insulin not to be taken into the cells. (round hole, square peg type of thing). He said I should not take a department store brand for a long period of time because of the mercury in it. Says it can make you sick if taken for a long time. He suggested a pharmaceutical grade but haven't gotten any more details on that just yet as he said he was testing a few of them.

Since I was still really not feeling myself (anxiety, depression, irritability, low energy, fatigue, hopelessness, difficulty concentrating, frequent & urgent urination...) and I read in a few magazines that a low morning temp, under 97.2, taken under the arm before getting out of bed, that last for more than 7-10 days can be an indicator of thyroid problems I went back to my dr. I had a TSH test done and it was lower than ever before at 1.17. He said that meant it was actually working better. So... I had told him during the visit that out of the entire year I had only felt myself for about 10 days and that I wasn't losing any more weight. All the weight I have lost has been during one week, then the next month during another week. Weird. I eat well, or at least I think I do. I told him I have 2 eggs with cheese for breakfast, 6oz chicken with lettuce and spinach with low carb dressing for lunch and then dinner varies. His actual advice for me to lose weight was to have one egg instead of two and cut out the chicken at lunch. What?? YOu've got to be kidding me!! Needless to say I'm probably not going back to him. He's helped me a lot to this point but I'm not getting any more help from him so I'm trying an alternative route.

I've had a lot of back pain over the last 6 years. I've been to drs and chiropractors off and on for it but never kept going. I have found a really great chiropractor that also has a soft tissue massage therapist in office. After the xrays and test he'd determined I have lots of "issues". He explained to me how the spinal cord and how the nerves down my spine work and how you can feel "messed up" when your brain isn't connecting/communicating with other parts of your body. So, I've looked into that more an almost all of my symptoms can be connected to some part of my spine. So, I can't say this is the exact cure-all solution, but I'm going to take this as a next step to better health.

I've been going now for two weeks, have more flexiblity and less headaches. I was having headaches almost every day for the last 2-3 months. In my evaluation, he diagnosed me with depression and dysthymia, which is a type of depression that's more likely to affect women. It's a disorder with similar but milder and longer lasting symptoms than major depression and lasts for more than two years. With this mild depression you can still experience periods of major depression. Many of the symptoms are right on target with how I feel.

So, I'm being treated with an anti-depressant and having my spine "corrected" and since both of these things, the depression and my spine can cause all my symptoms I"m hoping I'm on the right track, as least my odds are good.

Please remember, you know your body. Dr.s are NOT gods and should not be treated as such. Get second opinions and stick up for yourself and work towards better health! You deserve it!

Take care of yourself and enjoy your life. Tina
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 20:29

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 215/215/160 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Wow!!!

I am so amazed at this post. I was researching Meatabolic Syndrome and came across your post. I am just amazed that all of the things you said have been happening to me. I was just diagnosed today. It really scared me when my doctor told me. I actually started crying. So now I have to see a dietition and then on top of that she put me on 5 new medications on top of the medicines I am already on for depression and anxiety. Thank you so much for this post. It makes me feel alot better that someone else has exactly the same thing going on as I do. I was always really skinny when I was younger and then when I hit 21-22 I started gaining weight and not able to lose it. I have come to the point were I do not want to leave my house and rarely do. I was put on disability and want to be off o fit and have a life again. I am 29 years old and my life consists of getting up and then taking a shower and then getting back in bed and watching tv all day. My husband has been sleeping on the couch for the last year. Once again thank you so much for your post. My husband also read it and he is actually finally having some hope of us having a life. Thanks you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.
Mandi
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 23:38

Plan: possibly south beach
Stats: 170/169/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Do I have insulin resistance?

I got my thyroid checked and its within the normal range, I keep asking my doctor to check other things because something just doesn't feel right, I eat very healty except for loads of chocolate, im addicted, especially when I'm on my period. However, I don't eat a ton of carbs, ive cut out bread completely, but i do feel like when I do eat sugar or carbs (pasta, cookies etc) or when I don't that my blood sugar is unstable, I most of the time crave sweet stuff because I get a boast from it.

My dad has diabetes and there's not alot of information on insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, the first time I heard of it is when I came across this forum. I initially was looking for reasons y I can't loose weight, I am 170 and 5'7 my ideal weight is 145 I not very far off I would be happy at 150 or even 155 but I have been trying for years to get back to my 'normal' weight and nothing is working, even when I tried p90x for 2 months worked out every day minus 1 day, and eat very very well, I still didn't loose weight. I am active, I snowboard, I play bball, It's just weird, I keep thinking something must b wrong with my body.

I have depression, have for the past 6 years, I am on anti depressants, I have crazy mood swings and I'm unstable at times, so I wanted to post my test results to c if it matched anyone elses that has been on this forum. Ive had high cholesterol since I was 17 years old, not normal for a kid, my blood pressures always been fine, and I don't have alot of belly fat because I do hard core abbs but I have noticed over the years my belly fat keeps increasing. My doctor tells me I am find and normal etc etc.

my glucose test results from 2007 normal range
GLUCOSE, FASTING 77 <95 mg/dL
GLUCOSE 1H POST 100 G GLUCOSE PO 138 <180 mg/dL
GLUCOSE 2H POST 100 G GLUCOSE PO 119 <155 mg/dL
GLUCOSE 3H POST 100 G GLUCOSE PO 52 <140 mg/dl

Name Standard range 7/7/2010 9/24/2010 4/1/2011
CHOLESTEROL 246 221 231
HDL 65 64 68
LDL 145
TRIGLYCERIDE, NONFASTING 199
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 06:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/161.2/150 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thank you so much for making this post, things make so much sense now its like a puzzle falling into place. I've had the same sort of symptoms and because of this have ended up going part time to 3 days a week. I did give up my anti-depressants cold turkey (not a good idea) since it felt like my anxiety was getting worse, but since re-starting LC within a month it seems like things are turning around. I'm beginning to feel like the old me again. I didn't make the link between the two till I read this post, so thank you!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-13, 09:22

Plan: none
Stats: 90/196/154 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress:
Default A Huge Thank You

Hi WebFrog,

Just read your thread and it actually made me cry - I couldn't have described myself and what I am going through better even if I tried. I have been gyming 5 days a week for the past 6 months, I quit smoking & eat healthy, only to put on weight and centimeters!

I have been to 2 different doctors, one of which I have been going to for over 10 years to address my weight problems only to be put on 'this thing and the next' with little to no results.

I have been so despondent, even to the point of depression for the past 3 months and just plain down frustrated with the fact that I am trying harder than I have ever tried before with exercise and healthy eating, yet I'm at my biggest.

For the past 2 weeks I have been researching Insulin Resistance, and I was becoming more and more convinced that this must be the problem, but then I always had that thing in the back of my mind saying "if you had all those blood tests, doctors visits, etc and the professionals didnt pick it up then it can't be".

After reading what you wrote I am now confident that I can finally put a name to what is going on and find a new doctor - hopefully someone who will treat the problem and not the symptoms!

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Love from South Africa
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-13, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Read "Wheat Belly". You might find that there's something even more specific than insulin resistance behind the depression.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-13, 13:26

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I'd have to agree with Nancy, I was almost euphoric when I got to the end of induction on the Atkin's plan (and could stop depression meds) but that was because I gave up wheat; I'm Celiac and even a trace amount of flour dust wheat is like poision to me.