Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:36

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 224/213/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default was depressed & couldn't lose weight: insulin resistance

Hello,
For the last two years I've been trying to convince doctors that there's something wrong with me. They've dismissed me either by trying to put me on anti-depressants or just telling me to lose weight first, then we'd address my other problems. By problems, I mean:

• Inability to lose weight even with frequent exercise (I went to the gym for 5 months 4-5 times a week and only lost 4 lbs in 5 months and I don't eat hardly any junk/fast food or drink)
• depression/moodiness/extreme mood swings/irritablity
• inability to focus at work and home/can't remember things
• fatigue
• frequent urination
• total loss of sex drive
• achy joints
• sinus/allergy problems (even in winter)
• throat pain
• low immunity (I had colds and sinus problems almost entirely from January to the end of April. I would feel better then go back to the gym, where I believe I would pick up more germs and start all over again)

About a month ago things started getting worse and my emotions were really beginning to take over. I called to try to make a dr. appt and when they couln't get me in for 3 weeks and almost cried on the phone... that's how bad it was. Anything would set me off at that point so I made an appt. with another dr I hadn't seen before.

I had 28 or 39 symptoms for thryroid problems and I was armed with my checklist of thyroid symptoms and the last 6 years of health fair (blood test) results. My good cholesteral was low, my bad cholesterol was high, my trigycerides were high and my blood pressure is moderately high but I don't smoke and I'm moderately active.

I went to my appt that day ready to be put on thryoid medicine and become normal again. When the doctor told me he thought I had metobolic syndrome (aka syndrome X) I had a complete emotional breakdown right in his office. He asked me to trust him, so that's what I'm doing. He gave me a prescription for anti-depressants to get me back onto a level that I could cope with things and also gave me something for anxiety with instructions to lay off the high carbs and we'd talk more later.

He then scheduled me to come in for a 3 hour glucose (challenge) test just to be sure. And, sure enough, I have insulin resistance. I started at 91 after fasting for 12 hours (normal) then jumped to 141 (hour 1) then to 128 (hour 2) then dropped to 68 (hour 3). I've done a lot of searching online about insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome and everything makes perfect sense. Since then, my mom gave me the book, "The Carbohydrate Addicts guide to heart Health" (by Keller... and someone) and I've met with a nutritionist.

I feel like a completely different person. I think I might have even become halfway decent to be around now. The biggest change I've made had been to not eat anything high carb by itself. I still eat high carb foods, but ONLY in combination with about the same amount of protein. This keeps my body from over producing the insulin that's been causing me so many problems. So far I've lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks, my moods have stabilized, I can focus, my body pains are gone, I'm happy and I don't have to pee ALL the time. My sex drive... well, it's coming around a little more all the time, getting friskier by the day... my lucky husband.

I've been tired this week so, by advice from the Carb Addicts book, I'm cutting about diet pop for 4 days. That could also stem from the hectic 2 weeks I've had around graduation last weekend, but I have a feeling by the time this weekend rolls around I'll be doing even better yet!

If this helps even one person to get out of the nasty insulin resistance cycle I was caught in then it's worth it. Good luck and take care of yourself!

Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 14:55

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

First of all congratulations on the weight loss. Must be a relief to see the scale budge finally after all that hard work Second of all congratulations for finding the answer. Although it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear, just having an answer can put a lot of worry to rest. I had some of the problems you have. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS so I'm on Metformin for my hormones and insulin levels. It's amazing what low carbing can do for this condition so good luck with this WOL.

danyele
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 08:30

BF:

Thanks Danyele!
Glad to hear you found your solution also! It's such a terrible feeling knowing something is wrong and not being able to prove it!

Have a wonderful day! Tina
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:37

Stats: 170/170/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Insulin Resistance

The same thing happened to me......almost sounds exactly like mine. I was gaining and gaining and exercising and exercising and I was exhausted ALL the time. And, I was depressed because I wasn't sure where I was going to end up weight wise if something didn't happen soon. Scary, really. They even put me on thyroid medicine and everyone said stupid stuff like, "Change your eating habits....DUH........Exercise.......DUH..............Get off sugar.........DUH.........take vitamins.......DUH......go to bed earlier.......DUH! !!

I finally found an endocrinologist who did all the same tests but looked for insulin resistance as a possible problem and BINGO! It has made all the difference in the world. In six months I went from 207 to 170. I still need to lose about 30 pounds but I am just taking it day by day. I'm SO much better than I was.

My problem is that I am a carboholic....any suggestions for in between snacks that won't shoot my sugar to the moon? Thanks!! (I'm a newbie, this is my first post, so I hope I did it right!)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:19

BF:

Hey Sherree!
Isn't it great to hear we're not alone! Wow! Congrats on your progress - Way to go!!

I've just started reading a book, well, actually, I'm reading two books right now and I just got a low-glycemic cookbook also:

The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets to Eating Low on the Glycemic Index

The Insulin Resistance Diet: How to turn off your Body's Fat Making Machine

• The Carbohydrate Addict's Guide to Heart Health by Keller, keller and ...

I'm also thinking about getting this one: I figure 20-40 dollars on books is a good investment compared to the money I would have to spend on medication down the road if I don't take care of myself now.

The Glucose Revolution Pocket Guide to the Top 100 Low Glycemic Foods

I'm still reading, and if you'd like as I come across great low carb snack ideas I'll let you know. So far I've been snacking on Beef and Turkey jerky, apples w/peanut butter, small amounts of nuts, etc. It's been pretty hard so far to adapt my eating habits. It helps me realize just how badly I'd been eating for so long and I didn't even realize it!

The great thing about both of these books so far (the carb addicts guide and the IR diet) is that they both emphasize establishing new eating habits you can stick with for life, not just until you drop a size or 20 pounds or whatever. Now that I know I have insulin resistance I feel very empowered that I have the ability to change the course I was on. And what an ugly course it would have been! Diabetes... heart disease... medication... no thanks.

The other great thing I'm learning is that my failure to lose weight had nothing to do with my will power. I never stood a chance with my body producing fat all the time because of having too much insulin. I'm really amazed by the concept and consider myself absolutely fortunate to have found a doctor that would listen to me and recognize that I have a problem. I wish I would have taken my brother's advice to find a new doctor sooner!

I'll let you know more about great snacks as I read about them. I'll browse through my cookbook this weekend too.

Have a great weekend! Tina
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:34

BF:
Default for Sherree

Hey Sherree,

I just read your profile. I'm a web developer also! I'm a Mac user and love photography, drawing, painting and landscaping. I live in Wyoming near Yellowstone National Park, I'm 33, married to a wonderful man with 3 step-kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a fish.

I see your birthday is Thrusday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
What a great gift to give to yourself to be working on your insulin resistance!

Talk to you later! Feel free to email me if you want (we can be IR "insulin resistance" buddies... ha)
graphix~wtp.net

(I'm out of the office, and off the computer until monday)
Tina
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I wanted to pop in and say congrats to both of you for your progress.

I have never been diagnosed but have long suspected that my issues were either with thyroid or more recently after a little research, Syndrom X.

I have always felt better the less carbs I eat and on full blown Atkins I feel like normal.

Comb the kitchen and recipe section. You'll find really great ideas that will keep your carbs low but you won't have to give up taste.

Good luck!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:04

BF:

Hi Shelley!
Thanks for the post! I hadn't been around the site too much yet but I'll go check it out.

Just as an update to my first post:
I feel like a totally different person and I've lost 3 more pounds! Think what will happen when I get off my butt again and start exercising!

I've been following my Insulin Resistance Diet book and they explain things very well. I honestly think this is a plan I can stick with for the rest of my life. I don't feel like I'm giving things up and I'm not hungry. I'm still reading the book but so far they have addressed how to link and balance foods to keep insulin levels at a steady level. The basic idea is for every serving of high carb food you have you need to also have one serving of protein. So, one serving to one serving... pretty easy. I haven't had to give up a lot of things like I thought I would. So far wanting to snack on high carb food around 10 a.m and 4 p.m. has been the worst. Coincidently, just this morning I was reading on the Glycemic Research Institute website and the homepage has a lot of good, easy to understand information about insulin and serotonin. Check it out:

I have had one bad insulin bout since I started last month. I over did it on ice cream the other day and I felt sooo bad mentally and physically. I can't believe I used to feel like that day in and day out... it amazes me.

Glycemic Research Institute

The site talks about why diets don't work, about how will power is not a factor, how serotonin works, high vs. low glycemic foods and explains why people who are insulin resistant get fat so easily.

My serotonin levels are getting better. I'm taking med for that and it's making a huge difference in my moods and now I know it affected my apetite too.

Looks like I'm writing a book again. Better end this.

Have a great day! Tina
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 13:28

BF:
Default Re: was depressed & couldn't lose weight

Hi, Shelley

Thank you for your post! I did discover fat free sugar free jello pudding. I hate milk to start with and now I'm having to use that "see through" milk to make this with but I really can't tell....and believe me, I was trying!

I hope that I will be able to stick to this. I am also trying to get off diet drinks because of the aspartame.

Thanks for the snack tips, I will check out the kitchen and recipe section!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 13:10

Plan: trying to decide
Stats: 261.5/261.5/130
BF:

Hi Everyone and thank you!

I just wanted to say after reading this post and the replies, I think I may have discovered why I've always suspected I had an underactive thyroid but it never showed up in blood tests. I am going to look further into this and see if it fits me.

I wish all continued success and hope to join you soon!
Bashful8
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:28

BF:

Hey all,

I've just discovered Diet Rite Cola......no aspartame, no sodium and no caffeince and it's made with Splenda.....WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!

It's not bad, and for someone who drank a LOT of diet coke, it's a life saver!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Persistence. . .

It is so hard to be persistent when medical authorities aren't helpful, isn't it? Congrats to you for hanging in there.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 217/209/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

Webfrog - I'd sure be interested in emailing with you to pick your brain. I have many of the same symtoms and it is really annoying. I'm getting tired of feeling like this all the time! Been trying to follow Akins and I'm sure I'm still doing it tons wrong, but I'm still feeling so blah all the time!
I couldn't find a way to send you a message or email you.
Let me know if you have time!
Traci
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:19

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Wow I read that thread and really could relate!!! My story is quite similar and I think Atkins may be my solution too...I hope so. People say you feel badly on this diet and so far I had one rough morning and thats it...

Hang in there! Cut those carbs!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:56

BF:
Default Doing much much much better now :)

I've been doing low carb one way or another now for almost 4 months. In 11 weeks, my triglycerides dropped over 120 points, my blood pressure is normal for the first time in 2 years and I have lost 6 pounds and also 5 inches.

My lack of weight loss is attibuted greatly to a lack of exercise.... I've been on an anti-depressant and have just started the Carb Addicts Diet and I haven't felt this good in a very long time.

Ltraci2: if you're still around, shoot me an email! graphix~wtp.net~

Have a great day! Tina