Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 18:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I am no bread making expert by a long shot, but I have also heard that theory, I started out using splenda, but have had better results using sugar. I rationalize that that much sugar over a whole loaf can't do that much damage. I must admit that lately I have purchased some multi grain bread, but even though the loaves I make are much smaller, they are denser and have a lot more flavour, I find the ones you buy are very dry, especially when toasted.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 19:09

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just after Christmas Mom and I stopped at Cracker Barrel and I had their so called low carb bread, my first bread since beginning lc in August, and it was dry and had a nasty aftertaste! So, when I bake my first loaves of low carb bread I was pretty worried about the flavor! I am more than happy with the bread I am baking, but folks keep talking about it lifting the lid and I guess I am wondering if I am doing something wrong! KiwiGal is going to bake a loaf and post a picture so I can see what her's looks like! Hopefully, she will include pics of it in the mixing process. Do you leave your bread in the bread maker or do you take it out and let it raise and bake in the oven??? And, do you follow the recipe in the first post or do you have a different one? Being a newbie to baking bread in the machine other than french bread...well I am anxious for as much input as possible! And ideas!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 07:48

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The pressure you are putting me under Scruffy!!!..I will email you the pics and you can post them [or not!!] ...you know I have no idea how to do that !
My loaf today did raise the lid on the breadmaker [2lb] BUT..when it had finished cooking, and I lifted the lid..the top of the bread was well and truly stuck on the lid!!!! Not to worry..still a nice big loaf anyway...Now remember, I have tweaked mhamptons original recipe to this:

WHEAT BREAD [for a 2lb bread machine]

1 1/2 cups hot tap water
1 1/2 Tblspns butter
2 tspns sugar
2 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups wheat gluten flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1/4 cup oatbran
1/4 cup ground linseed
1 Tblspn splenda
1 tspn salt
4 tspns bread machine yeast

Place in breadmaker in the order given,I use basic 3 hour setting, when it starts kneading, scrape inside container down with spatula..you may need to add a little more warm water or a drizzle of oil if it is not forming a nice ball [ this depends i think on how perfectly accurate your measuring is..i always check, cos' near enough is good enough for me!] Then you can just let the machine do its thing!
Sometimes i take the paddles out after the first knead..sometimes it raises the lid on the breadmaker..dont panic! it still cooks perfectly.

By my calculation Total carbs are 99 grams and fibre is 49 grams SO entire loaf is only 50 net carbs.
We have one of those thingies that you put the bread in as a cutting guide, and we get approx 18 slices!
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 09:20
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

What is your elevation in NZ if you don't mind my asking, Kiwigal? It does make a difference.

Also, if you remove the paddles, that is essentially the same thing as programming a machine to use only one kneading cycle with an extra long rising time, is it not? In other words, 45min rise, 5min "rest" (which would ordinarily be the "punch-down") and another 45min rise, followed by the baking time. If that is the case, I shouldn't wonder that it lifts the lid! Do you not have problems with excessive yeasty flavour? Or do the strong flavours of the other ingredients mask or compliment that?

Thanks in advance. AJ
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 00:17

BF:

Elevation?...Huh..heck I only live here!! A quick google says that we are between 650'-3500' above sea level...the bread doesn't taste yeasty at all...just delicious!..Listen,I have 2 friends that have tried making this bread, one in the same street as me..and the other a 2 minute drive away..and this hasn't happened to them!..I think it depends on getting to know your bread maker!..mine is an 'el cheapo' and I can't programme it to do ONE knead..otherwise..hello!!..I would do so..hence the need to remove the paddles! BUT..even when I forget to take them out [if I'm busy] and it kneads twice..it still lifts the lid sometimes..so, go figure!
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 00:20

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ok...I am feeling like a complete idiot! The bread machine I got for Christmas has the "One Knead" I am pretty sure and so will give that a go! And, I need to pick up linseed so I can try the recipe you have posted and see if I can lift the lid! A challenge....I am a woman obsessed and will not rest until the lid of my bread machine has been lifted!
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 08:22
Midas in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
Elevation?...Huh..heck I only live here!! A quick google says that we are between 650'-3500' above sea level...the bread doesn't taste yeasty at all...just delicious!..Listen,I have 2 friends that have tried making this bread, one in the same street as me..and the other a 2 minute drive away..and this hasn't happened to them!..I think it depends on getting to know your bread maker!..mine is an 'el cheapo' and I can't programme it to do ONE knead..otherwise..hello!!..I would do so..hence the need to remove the paddles! BUT..even when I forget to take them out [if I'm busy] and it kneads twice..it still lifts the lid sometimes..so, go figure!

Thank you for your reply. I HAD an 'el cheapo', but never thought of removing the paddle, singular. I was very temporarily flush with some extra cash about a year ago, so I decided to blow it on a Zojirushi, and gave the el cheapo to a Japanese friend who didn't have one. Haven't used it for several months, though--am going to give your recipe a try, except that I'll try using rice bran instead of the wheat bran, since I have plenty of the former, and none of the latter, and am NOT flush with cash anymore!
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 21:38

BF:

Quote:
am going to give your recipe a try, except that I'll try using rice bran instead of the wheat bran, since I have plenty of the former, and none of the latter, and am NOT flush with cash anymore!

Let us know what it turns out like..If its good, I may give it a go with the rice bran too as it doesn't add that much extra in the way of carbs!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 08:27
Midas in reverse

With one rising, and 1 Tablespoon of sugar, instead of 2 teaspoons, (90 minutes), it turned out very spongy, somewhat bitter (yeasty, perhaps?), but at least it was not dense as a brick, and it did rise a great deal (no it didn't lift the lid, but my breadmaker has a generous amount of space, both inside the pan, and above it). I will try again with two risings and see what happens. I think that for my taste, a bit more splenda would help too.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 03:51

BF:

Eeeewww!..Bitters not good!!!..Better luck next time!...maybe you could try a combo of wheat and rice bran?
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 18:42

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

Just wanted to subscribe to this post for later when I'm off induction.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 19:58

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I want to try this but possibly use flax meal instead of the wheat bran. Has anyone tried this?