Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 20:02

Plan: Started Atkins on 4/26/03
Stats: 202/190/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Post New here!

Hi, I started on Atkins on 4/28 and have lost 12 lb. I drink one Diet Pepsi per day, have sugar-free jello occasionally or a Carbolite chocolate bar occasionally. Breakfast has been my biggest challenge lately - I'm getting tired of bacon/sausage and eggs! I tried the Mock Danish this AM and it was yummy. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the French Toast.

Would love to have a buddy to help get thru this thing!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 205/197.5/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Mock danish?

HI Mary,

First of all I want to say you have a friend here, it good to have support and you can get it here with me.
What is the mock danish and where do you get it at? French Toast? Just curious about all that how many carbs are in these items?

Good Luck!!

Jo
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 21:02

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%

mock danish

french toast

They are both good...but the french toast is the best!!!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 04:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool Hi!

Hi, Mary! Glad to meet you! You'll find lots of friendly faces here! You're doing very well! I can't believe how well you've done while having Diet Pepsi and the other stuff. I've read so many posts here warning against it. You lucky duck! Personally, I'm terrified of having anything that even tastes sweet for fear it will bring on cravings. I'm going to try to wait as long as I can before I take that step...even with Splenda or stevia.

Shannon, thanks for the mock Danish recipe. Sounds great! How did the fudgy one taste? I've never been a fan of French toast...sure couldn't eat it without real syrup!

Jo, how are you today? Can you tell any difference in your sleeping habits? I notice I seem to be sleeping more deeply. Nothing wakes me up anymore except the occasional full bladder! We have been having some really nasty weather down here this week and it's been storming at night. We sleep with the window open in our bedroom and the thunder and pouring rain has been waking my husband up, but not me! I guess that, in part, accounts for me feeling better in the mornings. I just hope the afternoon part starts getting better soon.

Well, I'm off...
Darlene
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 04:24

BF:
Smile And another thing...

Jo, I was just looking at your FitDay (your link still isn't working, BTW) and noticed some odd portions. Did you mean to have things like a cup of cheese, a cup of bacon pieces, a cup of boiled egg, etc? You can change those portions, if you need to, and make it read the way you want it to. Play around with it some...you can't break it! So don't worry!

Just sticking my nose in!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 08:10

BF:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I think this forum is gonna make things a lot easier.

I've got to start my exercise program next. I'm going out today to have a look at elliptical trainers. Just found out from my orthopedic doc that I can't walk for exercise - only swim, bike or eliptical. Seems a total hip replacement is in my future and I'm trying to put it off for as long as possible. I'm only 53!!!!

Got a craving for Mexican food? I love grilled chicken topped with a little bacon, cheese, avacado slices, chopped lettuce, sour cream and a little salsa. It's yummy!

TTFN!

Mary
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:47

BF:
Unhappy Ouch!

Mary, sorry to hear about your hip! What a bummer...and you're way too young to be looking at something like that!

I have an elliptical trainer of sorts. I bought it off HSN or QVC...can't remember which. I'm planning to sell it at a garage sale for charity next weekend. It was just sitting around gathering dust. I found the Leslie Sansome tapes and like those much better! But I think the trainer (walker) is a good piece of equipment...you'll like it! Be sure to get one that allows you to move your arms along with your legs (mine doesn't). That would give you a much better workout.

The chicken sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try!

Have a great day! I'm almost ready for lunch!

Darlene
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:21
Registered Member

BF:

First of all THank you so much, shannon, for the mock danish and french toast link, I can't wait to try it!!

Mary,, See I told you I was not at all computer smarts , I thought I was doing my fitday correct, Thank you so much for telling me, I will try to figure it out! I hope you don't get aggravated with my dumbness in computers and leave.
My sleep is very good at night, Im like you I sleep very sound. I went and got some potassium pills yesterday, took one today, I will let you know if it helped me thru Noon till about 3, this is when im usually dead beat.
Otherwise im doing great, how about you?

Mary, how are you doing? Lets all keep in touch I know this support really helps me out alot.

Have a Good Day everyone!!

Thank God for PORK RINDS!!!!!!!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:19

BF:
Cool Hi!

Jo, I have had the same 'dead beat' time. Only today seems to be much better. And I have been having a little nausea (mild) at the same time, but not today. I read a post earlier today that said the nausea is a sign of ketosis in the early stage...and I've been in ketosis. The post said it would pass...I hope this is it!

Let me know how the potassium works. I don't think I can take it because in on BP meds.

I like pork rinds, too, but I'm a little afraid to try them because I may want to eat the whole bag. That's my history...no self control! It will take me a while to build up my confidence.

I agree about the support...it's priceless!

See ya...
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:52
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default My 2-cents worth

Hi! I'm a new member of this forum. I have read all of your posts and wanted to respond to some of your comments.

I have just finished the first two weeks of Atkins Induction, but plan on staying on it for a while to really jump start my weight loss. When I get one size lower (to a 20) I will go to OWL.

I looked up aspartame on the internet because Dr. Atkins did not say WHY it was bad. This is what I found out: "There are quite a few problems with aspartame. The first is phenylketonuria (PKU). One out of every 20,000 babies is born without the ability to metabolize one of the two amino acids in aspartame. Toxic levels of this substance in the blood can result in mental retardation. Beyond PKU several scientists believe that aspartame might cause altered brain funciton and behavior changes in consumers. And many people have reported dizziness, headaches, epileptic-like seizures, and menstrual problems after ingesting aspartame."

So I would say that if you have headaches, fatigue, or bloating, they could be caused by aspartame. Any prescription medications could also cause a problem on this diet. I stopped taking my blood pressure med when I started induction. Saw the doctor Monday and my pressure was fine.

I felt lousy the first two days of induction: exhausted, weak and lightheaded. But the third day I woke up with energy to spare!!!
I have followed the induction rules to the letter and have had no other problems, except sometimes I get tired of meat. I eat a lot of meat. I am never hungry and don't crave sweets. Do miss bread and popcorn though.

Are you all taking vitamin supplements? I take tons of stuff. Maybe that is why I feel so good. Probably haven't gotten enough vitamins for years.

Hope some of this long rambling message helps someone.

Hang in there!!
Barb
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 16:01
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Darlene,
Well I did good today after taking the potassium pill, it really helped me thru the rest of the day. , I got hungry today a couple of times, do you ever get that way? Im in ketosis,so that may explain the nasuea we both have sometimes.
Did you make the mock danish? My microwave took out and I was wondering if there was any other way to make it?

Barb,,Thanks for the helpful info I appreciate it very much. How are you doing? How much weight did you lose during induction?

Good Luck to all!!

Jo
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 16:46

BF:
Thumbs up

So far, so good today!

Hi, Barb! Nice to meet ya! I agree with you on the Aspertame...baaaad stuff! A friend of mine is really big on stevia and gave me three packets. I haven't tried it yet, but am looking forward to it. I am a little afraid to have anything that tastes sweet...fear it will bring on cravings! Maybe further down the road. Fortunately, I'm not even desiring anything sweet, so I'm not going to go there right now! I'm like you...don't want anything sweet and almost never hungry. And I love meat!

As for supplements, I take Atkins Basic #3 and Atkins Essential Oils and that's it.

Jo, glad the potassium seemed to help! Or it may be that we've turned that corner. Here's hoping! And, no, I didn't try the mock Danish (see above!) but I'm tucking that one away to try later!

Well, I've got roses in the yard that are begging for attention. Off to take care of my babies!

See ya'll!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 17:45

BF:
I made the Mock Danish in a skillet, with butter. If you use a large skillet and spread the egg misture out thin, it's like a crepe. Cook until almost done and then flip it over and turn off the heat. That way the eggs cook all the way thru. And I softened the cream cheese, which makes it's easier to blend and to spread.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:23

BF:

Mary, you are too smart! Great idea!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:40

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Talking Lot's of good advice here,

As for the tiredness though, I find that I get tired when I've eaten too little, make sure you are eating enough. What will happen is too few calories will start a metabolic decline which will get you tired and sleepy in an attempt to make you use less calories. You have to give the body its fuel or else it will try to conserve.

Cafeine has it's uses and I was quite the user, but about Jan of this year decided to cut it out and it broke me out of a stall that I was in at the time.

later,