Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 04:27

Plan: Dr Atkins changed to CAD
Stats: 80/8/60
BF:
Progress:
Default Reward Meal

Has any one else had the experience of not eating a very balanced reward meal at the start of CAD and then settled down to a more balanced meal once the novelty or freedom of the RM wears off. I am very interested to hear from more experienced CADers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:23

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Definitely! I think that is a very common happening! When most of us start CAD, it's like this incredible "freedom" that we have never been able to have on a "diet" before, so we go a little crazy those first few days. After that, most of us are able to settle down and eat more balanced and be satisfied... with the exception of those special holidays or meals now and then.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:07

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Cindi (?) That is very reassuring. This is really a wonderful way of eating - as long as one loses weight. I hate the whole concept of being 'on a diet' - All it usually achieves is making forbidden food seem SOOOOOOOO tempting!!! This way allows one to say to oneself that I can have whatever I want - but maybe I'll have it another day - The food is not leaving planet earth for me!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 06:40

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

I agree with you Shira. Its one thing to tell myself I have to wait until my RM to eat something, but if you tell me I can never eat it again I'll rebel. This has to be a way of life and for me that means realistic. When I know I can have something if I really want it, it seems to take the power out of the craving. Having choices is what makes CAD so liveable for me...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 20:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

ah yes! choices !

a few years ago i had tried CAD, but never got the concept of BALANCE! i pigged out for practicaly the whole hour, then had to lie down on the couch for a nap. pathetic

anyhow, now it all makes more sense. after coming off atkins, i have the right concept for the CM and the RM is more of the same with a lovely addition of DESSERT! or eating what i make the kids! boy, have i missed pasta and rice

good luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 03:01

BF:
Progress:

After 9 days on CAD - and I think I will stay on CAD rather than CALP - I feel great and my eating during the reward meal has become more and more focused on health than on eating everything in sight for the hour! I like the idea that I am in charge of what I eat for that meal. If my weight loss slows down - it is there that I can focus and not have to look in panic to change my entire woe. The main thing I feel is RELIEF

The other thing is that we usually have guests for lunch on Saturdays and I usually feel very deprived and then pick a bit at the leftovers after they have left. I can now enjoy eating what they eat - I just have to remember to watch the clock! The problem here is that lunch sometimes takes about 2 hours. BUT I still don't feel deprived - I feel part of the'normal' world

Shira
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 06:22
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I will tell you that when I first started CAD I would plan and scheme of all the high carb things I would eat during my RM.....This of course led to very unbalenced meals...and I did lose some weight but very slowly.

I am now trying my own modification of CAD for myself ... eliminating sweets and sugar from my reward meals as much as possible

Anyway I'm sure things will calm down once the new wears off.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 15:51

BF:
Progress:

It is very encouraging for me to hear all your positive experiences. I know that I am waking up far more positive and as I side effect I seem to be a better 'housewife'. I have more energy and more motivation to have things in order!! My family are definately pleased with the more even and more energetic me!! (So am I!)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 12:13

BF:

I'm glad you're enjoying CAD. It's a great way to eat. I use to miss being able to snack and eat "normal" meals, but now I am so use to CAD that it doesn't bother me. I usually only eat 1 CM and 1 RM a day and it's actually nice not to pack my lunch every day if I don't want to! I don't get hungry so I have my lunch hour to walk and do other things instead of eating.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

hi cindi!

thats great about eating only twice a day and being able to use your lunch hour for other things! i know when i did atkins that i never went anywhere with out a snack and was always "worried" about what we might do for dinner.....or where we would go. now it doesnt matter! SUCH FREEDOM!

today is day 4, and i dont even feel the need to have RM or anything sweet or carby. amazing in itself, but added to no hunger i am astonished. hope the scale cooperates too!

have a great week.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 21:28

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Kimberlina & Cindi,

I really appreciate not having to pack a snack or make sure that I always have something acceptable available. I love it that if dinner gets delayed for some reason, it isn't a major crisis.

Something that really amazed me is that a couple times when something special was going on and I really did overeat and stretch the limits with my RM, I still felt pretty full for hours afterward, and didn't even have much appetite or feel like eating much the next day or so. I had heard people (skinny ones) describe this to me, but I never had experienced it.

Lila
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 23:39

BF:
Progress:

I read a question about this woe and never got to read the answer. Why does one still lose weight if the reward meal goes over the top in calories? Does any one know the answer?? (Not that I am complaining - just curious.)

This forum is such a relief!!!! with all the support and you guys with hands on experience - it makes this whole woe really manageable and enjoyable. Thanks!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:01

BF:

It is based more on insulin release rather than calories. That is why the snacking all day isn't allowed on CAD. It would create constant release of insulin and that is what causes us addicts problems with cravings and weight gain.

It's hard to explain to "non Caders" why we eat the way we do. I have told my mom over and over. She does LC, but nothing like CAD, so she can't figure out how most days I only eat breakfast and dinner and don't get hungry during the day! For those of us doing CAD, it's wonderful to have that freedom!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 21:00

BF:
Progress:

Cindi,

I understand that and thanks for your reply. My appetite has dramatically reduced since I started CAD. BUT if we look at weight loss on a very basic level - you take in so many calories - you use up so many calories and the rest - FAT???? So what happens to the rest on CAD.

I have started excercising again - which certainly makes me feel much better. I walk and do resistance training - with rubber tubes. CAD does not seem to put much emphasis on excercise - does CALP???

Again - I want to emphasise that my question is purely based on a thirst for knowledge. I love this woe!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 06:18

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

This is just my opinion;

Calories are still calories we still have to consume less of them if we intend to lose weight. The beauty of CAD is that if you eat properly at the CM's you seem to automatically start eating less at the RM which of course results in less calorie intake over time and the result is weight loss.

So common sense tells me that fewer calories at the RM would result in a faster weight loss than eating whatever I want at higher caloric levels at the RM. However, I don't feel a need to rush this process. I'd prefer to make this a way of life so I'm just aiming for a balanced RM. There is no need to make CAD or CALP difficult or complicated. And although the books may not push exercise the way others may, again its just common sense that a person needs some form of exercise for toning if nothing else.