Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/184/145
BF:36%
Progress: 0%
Default 4th day..Feeling Sluggish, is this normal??

Hey everyone, this is my 4th day on Induction and it seems I always have so many questions. I am soooo glad I stumbled across this website, its great!! Ever since I started Induction, I have felt really sluggish and have had zero energy to do ANYTHING. Is this normal in the beginning and will it eventually go away once my body gets used to no carbs?? Thank again!!
... Carrie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: akins
Stats: 187/183/145
BF:???
Progress: 10%
Smile

Carrie, I am so happy to answer the same question that I had last week, it is important to take a good multi-vitamin, with potassium, I got new ones and felt better, my 4th day was bad too, Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:23
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I am glad I am not the only one!! I think I am going to go out and get a multivitamin today along with Glutamine L (i think thats it) that is supposed to help with curbing my cravings, I dont crave bread or pasta or potatoes, I crave CHOCOLATE!! But I havent cheated yet and I just need to stay motivated with energy, hope the multi-vitamin helps...Thanks!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:25

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default normal

Hi Carrie,

Completely normal. The first two weeks I felt tired, had mood swings and wanted to kill everyone in site, ha ha. It got better after about a week and a half but everyone vaires. Also you said your body has to get used to "no carbs", I am hoping you meant a little carbs, induction 20 grams.

No carbs would be awful, wouldn't it? The twenty grams is quite easy and your body will adjust.

Kat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: akins
Stats: 187/183/145
BF:???

OK, this is really wierd, but I love chocolate too, very much, I have some cream cheese on celery, or pork rinds, or anything, the smooth creamy texture of the cream cheese seems to help, it is not choc. flavored, but it is rich, and creamy like choc. would be.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 09:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I am guessing

You meant to post a reply to Carrie and it came out as a new thread. I do that all the time If you report this to the moderator she will fix it.

But whenever I tell someone I am on the Atkins diet and they comment " I could not be on a no carb diet ". I tell them that Atkins is not a no carb diet. I explained that on a nother site that I frequent and the person who made the comment admitted that she was misinformed.

Hey, I am down from a size 10 to a size 7 / 8!!!

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 10:57
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I hope you don't mean that you are doing Atkins with no carbs. You are to have 20 carbs from mostly green veggies on Atkins.

If you do not have Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution at least go to the website and look up the acceptable foods list for induction.

www.atkinscenter.com

Potassium will help also but veggies make it more than a diet, it's a way of eating you can sustain.

Beth

*edited, I merged the threads for you.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 11:15

Stats: 245/235/140
BF:
Default Carrie Hang in there!

My first week was scary. I was not only exhausted but I had the shakes and head aches like crazy. Then I realized I was not taking my multi-vitamin. Make sure your multi-vitiamin has no Iron. Once I started taking that I felt allot better. I still have head aches every now and again though. My biggest problem is drinking the water. That is the hardest thing for me of all and probably the most important.

I am still craving candy every now and again so I got some Carbo-lite bars for when I am ready to go crazy on the candy.

Keep up the good work it will pay off. It is a way of life now not a diet and old habits die hard.

Hang in there
DeAnn

Last edited by dlokvam : Sun, Apr-27-03 at 11:23.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 11:36

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Way to go Black57!!! That must be hella exciting!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 01:48
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice you guys!! I was worried at first because I didnt want to do anything, nevermind going to the gym. I didnt evn feel like going out with the girls Saturady night!! That never happens!! So I went into GNC yesterday and i bought a multi-vitamin, Centrum, is that a good one?? Also i bought some Glutamine L which i guess is supposed to curb sweet cravings. I didnt mean to lead you guys to think I was eating NO carbs, I take in 20 grams a day. Today is my ifth day, I havent lost anything yet and I am getting frustrated, then I tell myself, Helllo!! Its only day 5!! My short term goal is to lose 15lbs before June 12th, which is when I go on leave and I get tocome home to the states for the first time in a year and I dont want everyone to think, "wow, she's gained weight" Do you think 15lbs is possible in that time frame?? ...Carrie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 01:59
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Carrie!

I live in Germany too! I use Eunova multivitamin, it's good too.
It took me a week to feel the famous Atkins energy kick - but when it came it was wonderful. Just stick to the plan and trust it - It really works!
Best of luck to you!
You can check out my links below, they might help.
alina
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Thanks Alina for all the great links. Where in Germany do you live?? I live in Kaiserslautern in Rheinlandpfalz. Today is the worst day of my life, its day 5 of induction, i weighed myself and I have gained 4 lbs and 1 inch on my waist. I am so upset, I dont know what to do. I dont understand, i am doing it all by the book and while everyone else loses, I gain?? What gives?? Thanks again...talk to ya later....Carrie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:35
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

don't get upset about this - NO WAY this gain can be fat. It's water - some people retain in the beginning of this WOE. Try to avoid too much salt, take extra C-vitamin and drink lots of pure water - this will help. The water gain could also be due to TOM (time of the month) approaching.
But the most important thing is - try to understand how this works by reading as much as you can. My link about the weight roller coaster is exactly about water fluctuations.
I live in Frankfurt am Main. Nice to meet you Visit my journal if you want - you can do this and you are not alone!
Alina

Last edited by Alina : Mon, Apr-28-03 at 09:36.