Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 15:51
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hi, Glenda. Do you have any sort of diagnosis about this, or are you just trying to figure it out yourself?

Liver. Hm. Somehow I never even think of it! Residual childhood memory, I'm sure. These days I could probably cook it with lotsa bacon and make it taste good. But back then? Ick.

I'm glad the weather is cooling off a little for you at least for a while. Enjoy those pre-dawn walks.

I don't seem to absorb B vits very well so my doctor prescribed me syringes and the liquid B. However, the prescription isn't covered by my insurance so it was over $200 to fill and I decided not to get it. So, yes, I'm trying to find other ways to "beef" up my intake.

According to http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-p.../#axzz3fKYI4YFC

Quote:
Beef (and other ruminant) liver is often called nature’s multivitamin, and for good reason. It provides about a week’s worth of pre-formed vitamin A (retinol) and copper while being perhaps the best source of B-vitamins in town. Only problem? That’s a lot of vitamin A and copper. You can’t, or at least shouldn’t eat it too often. A quarter pound, maybe a half pound per week is just about enough. Any more is probably a bit much. This focus on beef liver also keeps a lot of people from eating what is in many respects a separate yet equal liver: chicken. Lower in vitamin A (but still a fantastic source) and copper, chicken liver can be consumed more regularly than beef liver. Plus, chicken liver is even higher in folate than and about equal in zinc to beef liver.

Another benefit of chicken liver is that it’s relatively mild. Even the liver-averse who’ve tried and failed to enjoy beef or lamb liver often find they can eat chicken liver. Just make sure to choose pastured when available and select the darkest (bordering on burgundy) livers you can find; avoid pale livers.

How to do it: Chicken liver is great sautéed quickly with ginger, shallots, and garlic with a splash of rich chicken stock (reduced to a syrup) and a dash of lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

I actually love the taste of liver, but I prefer it in liverwurst or braunschweiger. When I get the liver, (which BTW is the cheapest meat per pound I've seen recently) I soak it in red wine, marjoram, oil and a tiny bit of vinegar before pan frying. Yesterday I gave it to DH for lunch, but his was breaded. Although he ate it, I can't say that his thank you for lunch was particularly enthusiastic. (As a side note, we've been married 11 years, and not once has he neglected to say, "Takk for maten" when he finishes eating a meal I've cooked for him. Did I tell you he's Norwegian?)